A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto trunk/bootlid close dont work

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto trunk/bootlid close dont work

hey guys, wondering if you could help.

when i push the button to close my bootlid, it goes down but then pops back up... anyone know why?

when i use the open bootlid button both on door and key, it opens fine, just dosent want to auto latch. its fine with manual closing.

it seems to open slanted as well, like the right side battery side, pushes opens then the left side follows.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It seams it doesn't latch. Are you sure it does at all? Could be both parts of that latch. On the bottom part there is a small spring that loose its end. Easy to fix. Top side requires a new part. Cleaning and lubricating may help.

Opening is the same at all D3's. You just never noticed that before.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems like the trunk it out of position and needs to be realigned. That or you have a combination of alignment, new trunk latch, and/or new strut.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carterleeds
hey guys, wondering if you could help.

when i push the button to close my bootlid, it goes down but then pops back up... anyone know why?

when i use the open bootlid button both on door and key, it opens fine, just dosent want to auto latch. its fine with manual closing.

it seems to open slanted as well, like the right side battery side, pushes opens then the left side follows.
Did it start when the weather got cold? If so, you will need to change the latch to the new version. Brozee have it posted somewhere....
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
It seams it doesn't latch. Are you sure it does at all? Could be both parts of that latch. On the bottom part there is a small spring that loose its end. Easy to fix. Top side requires a new part. Cleaning and lubricating may help.

Opening is the same at all D3's. You just never noticed that before.
i really dont know if latches in the first place, you cant really tell. my bootlid does latch manually though.

ill check what you have said and let you know. thanks
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Seems like the trunk it out of position and needs to be realigned. That or you have a combination of alignment, new trunk latch, and/or new strut.
the side that pops open first as more of a slight gap than the other side, and looks like someone has tried to adjust the hinge as well, due to the paint removal on the bolt areas, as the other side is perfect.

maybe its the alignment thing like you said, but in my case a new hinge. struts are fine not much can go wrong. the latch i will check like mishar sugested.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
Did it start when the weather got cold? If so, you will need to change the latch to the new version. Brozee have it posted somewhere....
it has been like this since i got it. but i know what your talking about. the battery went dead so i thought it woudlnt close because of that, but when reading people mentioning about the cold can cause it, and it was very cold that day, after then weather hasnt been that cold and works fine.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. I wouldn't worry about the angle of it after it fails to latch, that is just because the motor is on the battery side of the car. Mine does that as well. The problem is most likely the micro switch in the latch. I took mine apart and saw that it had finally worn out, so I purchased a new one from radioshack for $5, wired it in and got it working again. It took quite a bit of modification though and I would have much rather spent the $60 or so to get the updated version.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Projekt 8E
I had the same problem. I wouldn't worry about the angle of it after it fails to latch, that is just because the motor is on the battery side of the car. Mine does that as well. The problem is most likely the micro switch in the latch. I took mine apart and saw that it had finally worn out, so I purchased a new one from radioshack for $5, wired it in and got it working again. It took quite a bit of modification though and I would have much rather spent the $60 or so to get the updated version.
oh ok thanks. do you have a link for the part? so i can see if i can get one here in the uk.

one question though, when i close the bootlid manually is it different to when it closes automatically? i mean yourself and others say its latch problems. but i would of assumed that if it latches on manually then auto should be the same, but it dosent look that way lol.

could you explain the difference between manual and auto closing please? with regards to latching on.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carterleeds
oh ok thanks. do you have a link for the part? so i can see if i can get one here in the uk.

one question though, when i close the bootlid manually is it different to when it closes automatically? i mean yourself and others say its latch problems. but i would of assumed that if it latches on manually then auto should be the same, but it dosent look that way lol.

could you explain the difference between manual and auto closing please? with regards to latching on.
Here is a link to the part online http://genuineaudiparts.com/parts/20...component=Lock

It is a very finicky system. That latch itself has a micro switch that is a weak point, but there is also a securing motor behind the battery (next to the main motor for opening and closing). I actually replaced my securing motor first because I thought it was the problem. I can only assume that the securing motor is dependent on the signal from the latch which is why you can manually slam it shut. The latch itself still works, but it isn't triggering the securing motor to begin its sequence. Hopefully that makes sense.

Quick Reply: auto trunk/bootlid close dont work