A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto trunk/bootlid close dont work

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Projekt 8E
Here is a link to the part online http://genuineaudiparts.com/parts/20...component=Lock

It is a very finicky system. That latch itself has a micro switch that is a weak point, but there is also a securing motor behind the battery (next to the main motor for opening and closing). I actually replaced my securing motor first because I thought it was the problem. I can only assume that the securing motor is dependent on the signal from the latch which is why you can manually slam it shut. The latch itself still works, but it isn't triggering the securing motor to begin its sequence. Hopefully that makes sense.
oh right yeh i get ya now. so basically the auto function has its own control locking thing going on.

and thanks for the link, but i meant your $5 micro switch you got not the expensive part from audi lol
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carterleeds
oh right yeh i get ya now. so basically the auto function has its own control locking thing going on.

and thanks for the link, but i meant your $5 micro switch you got not the expensive part from audi lol
Ah, my bad. It is essentially just like one in the second row. I don' know the exact radio shack part# because I pulled mine out and just matched it up when I went to radio shack. It isn't a simple process though. You have to snap open (might require zip ties to close it back up) the latch and trim the microswitch for proper fitment, solder it in and then hope it holds up. Fun little project, but if you just want to fix it in less than 30 minutes, the part from Audi will save considerable time.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ah, my bad. It is essentially just like one in the second row. I don' know the exact radio shack part# because I pulled mine out and just matched it up when I went to radio shack. It isn't a simple process though. You have to snap open (might require zip ties to close it back up) the latch and trim the microswitch for proper fitment, solder it in and then hope it holds up. Fun little project, but if you just want to fix it in less than 30 minutes, the part from Audi will save considerable time.

oh cool thanks.

well i have two little brothers one doing engineering and the other just likes to tinker with things but knows what hes doing. me on the other your right i would go to audi and just get the part lol
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I actually found the pictures randomly today. Basically, the first two are the stock microchip, and what I found was that the plunger part (the red part) was worn out and stopped pushing the button back out, therefore never cycling back.

And the new one epoxied in. (not soldered yet)

Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

this is perfect thanks.

i found the switch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-Micro-S...item35bcccb3fd

what about the amps how many does it need? as the one listed is only 5amp will that be ok?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The other inportant thing is to make sure all of the pivots in the hinge mechanism are free and lubricated - there are about 6 pivot points on each side I think, maybe more it is such a complex hinge system.
I find that mine always closes just fine but the motor seems to lack enough power to open it, or rather the motor operates but fails to open the lid - I think there is probably a clutch in the system which slipd too easily.

On mine the motorised latch operates whether the lid is closed manually or using the motor - it just pulls the lid down rather like the soft close door latches.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by carterleeds
this is perfect thanks.

i found the switch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5A-Micro-S...item35bcccb3fd

what about the amps how many does it need? as the one listed is only 5amp will that be ok?
I can't answer that positively, but I would assume it will be fine.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
The other inportant thing is to make sure all of the pivots in the hinge mechanism are free and lubricated - there are about 6 pivot points on each side I think, maybe more it is such a complex hinge system.
I find that mine always closes just fine but the motor seems to lack enough power to open it, or rather the motor operates but fails to open the lid - I think there is probably a clutch in the system which slipd too easily.

On mine the motorised latch operates whether the lid is closed manually or using the motor - it just pulls the lid down rather like the soft close door latches.
yeh the hinge is fine i think lol. moves freely no sticking. and my mottor opens fine it just dosent latch on when the aut button is pressed. its closes manually fine.

but as projeck83 sugested it may be the micro switch which i will check because that seems the only explanation to why it dosent latch when auto button is pressed.

will see how it goes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can't answer that positively, but I would assume it will be fine.
its cool dont worry about it, i only asked because the listing had it i thought i wud recheck. but i guess it just one of those "any micro switch would work" kind thing lol.

well as it is snowing over here in the uk ill wait till it finishes before i check the latch.

ive ordered the switch anyways.