A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trunk opener

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto trunk opener

Searched for previous posts, but couldn't find any. My trunk occasionally doesn't want to open all the way when I press either the remote button or trunk release button inside the car. It'll pop open, sit there for a sec, and then close. Normally, of course, it opens and raises the rear deck. Anyone else have trouble with this?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quite a few threads on this, including videos.

Try searching on trunk, "trunk lid" or "trunk hinge"

Have found recently the search function does not return anything on the first try....
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +1

Try searching for 'trunk motor' on the threads. I think user name 'Brozee' either started a thread, or posted on one, with the part numbers for the weaker (plastic bodied) trunk motors, and the Stronger (aluminIum bodied) motors.

K9

Originally Posted by jakematic
Quite a few threads on this, including videos.

Try searching on trunk, "trunk lid" or "trunk hinge"

Have found recently the search function does not return anything on the first try....
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Here's the thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ht=trunk+motor

P.S. I am still using the original stock motor, not the newer metal or aluminum casing one, and it still works the same; needs help when first opening. I just couldn't warrant the price, as mine still has issues in the very cold days in winter with the latch actually latching and locking the trunk.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks - I finally found it after searching multiple times. It's so funny because some days it works great (like today), and other days not (like yesterday). I initially thought it might have something to do with the individual settings of each key fob, but I tried that theory unsuccessfully.

Very strange. To me, either it should work always, or it shouldn't. Conditions are identical today, relative to weather.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine is the same way. I have to help it just a smidge to open or close. I am going to lube the hinges with some dry lube. When you do a functions check, opening the trunk 10 times, the motor will calibrate. If after that if it still does not open, the motor is too weak.

Also check to see if your trunk rubber stops have been replaced with the spring loaded stops. They help the motor when opening and was part of a TSB. here are some pics of the stops and where they are located.
Attached Images    
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 PM
PAC
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just decided to unplug the lid drive motor. The trunk lid has so much flex each time it attempts to open which doesn't look good for the long term. The release and pull down functions fine...that motor is behind the battery. I assume I'll have a vag fault the next time I check. Curious if anyone else has done this?
Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PAC
I just decided to unplug the lid drive motor. The trunk lid has so much flex each time it attempts to open which doesn't look good for the long term. The release and pull down functions fine...that motor is behind the battery. I assume I'll have a vag fault the next time I check. Curious if anyone else has done this?
You don't need to unplug the opener in order not to use it. Just open the lid faster by hand and motor won't kick in. You can still use it for closing when your are caring something.

Flex is normal. Would be even bigger with more power.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
Mine is the same way. I have to help it just a smidge to open or close. I am going to lube the hinges with some dry lube. When you do a functions check, opening the trunk 10 times, the motor will calibrate. If after that if it still does not open, the motor is too weak.

Also check to see if your trunk rubber stops have been replaced with the spring loaded stops. They help the motor when opening and was part of a TSB. here are some pics of the stops and where they are located.
All that and more was tried many times. Just wasting your time.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
All that and more was tried many times. Just wasting your time.
I hear you, I'm just hard headed. I know in the back of my mind that I will have to buy a new motor.

Quick Reply: Auto trunk opener