A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto trunk opener

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
I hear you, I'm just hard headed. I know in the back of my mind that I will have to buy a new motor.
That's not bad at all. You may stumble at something new and we all would have benefits.

When you decide buy one with aluminum body. It has more powerful motor. It took Audi just five years to figure out that the first one is not sufficient.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

All Audi dealers want to change the hinges as well, but my origial ones function fine so I'm not going to change them.

Hey Mishar, I've got my sub in over the weekend. I need to take some pics to post but have not had the time yet.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does the same but I suspect there is a clutch somewhere in the motor housing which needs a bit of 'adjustment' or similar?
Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Audi dealers want to change the hinges as well, but my origial ones function fine so I'm not going to change them.

Hey Mishar, I've got my sub in over the weekend. I need to take some pics to post but have not had the time yet.
Apparently I have the new hinges, (and I haven't looked at the stops yet), but it worked fine yesterday. We'll see how my little fellow does today...
Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer blamed it on the hinges. Claiming they were bent. When I asked exactly where the "bend" was, they could not really tell me. I then told them I understood that the hinges were a problematic item, and seemed like a manufacturing defect to me, so would they not be covered by Audi... The answer of course was no. Anyway, they are claiming to have to replace the hinges to determine whether the motor is bad or not. I'm taking it to another dealer to see what they have to say.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boz151
My dealer blamed it on the hinges. Claiming they were bent. When I asked exactly where the "bend" was, they could not really tell me. I then told them I understood that the hinges were a problematic item, and seemed like a manufacturing defect to me, so would they not be covered by Audi... The answer of course was no. Anyway, they are claiming to have to replace the hinges to determine whether the motor is bad or not. I'm taking it to another dealer to see what they have to say.
A few years ago Audi of Willow Grove told me the hinges was wear and tear. My car was under CPO warranty at this time and they wouldnt and didnt cover it. Me and a friend replaced the faulty hinge and it didnt take long. $50 for the hinge, 1 hour of time and beers, and a few years later its still good
Old 09-13-2012, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is the same way. I have to help it just a smidge to open or close. I am going to lube the hinges with some dry lube. When you do a functions check, opening the trunk 10 times, the motor will calibrate. If after that if it still does not open, the motor is too weak.

Also check to see if your trunk rubber stops have been replaced with the spring loaded stops. They help the motor when opening and was part of a TSB. here are some pics of the stops and where they are located.
So I verified I don't have the spring loaded pin. Is this something I can buy from the Audi dealer? If so, any idea on cost or part number?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I am having the same issue, and checked into Brozee's link where part number 4E0-827-852-H is referenced. I find that this part is singled out for use on cars with vin 4E8008001 or greater, selling at about 500.00. There is another part 4E0-827-852-G made for up to vin 4E8008000, selling at about 350.00. Does anyone know if either one will work in any D3 like bolt patterns, and plug configuration the same, and is the H rev the metal cased one, and the G rev the plastic cased one?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by pmdeaver
So I verified I don't have the spring loaded pin. Is this something I can buy from the Audi dealer? If so, any idea on cost or part number?
Unfortunately it won't help. Those springs are not strong enough to make any difference and stronger once won't let the lid to close.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Unfortunately it won't help. Those springs are not strong enough to make any difference and stronger once won't let the lid to close.
Wonder why they changed them if they're no good and serve no purpose?

The opening issue only happens occasionally. I used it yesterday and it worked fine. It's a sporadic thing, so I'm not hyper focused on getting it fixed, unless there are minor adjustments that can be made...

Quick Reply: Auto trunk opener