A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back passenger side sagging when parked

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back passenger side sagging when parked

Guys,

I have a 2007 A8L that I purchased about 3 months ago. I am coming from a 2001 A8L that I loved. There are no codes according to mechanic (trained Audi mechanic). I also had it into dealership for 55k service. I don't have a frame of reference but it just doesn't seem to ride as nice as my 01 A8L did, especially when that was newer. The rear end seems to hop a very little sideways when going over bumps at speeds greater than 35 mph or so. It also seems to resonate a little after bumps. I can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't seem correct. I have put new tires on, this problem was there before the new tires as well. Tonight my wife noticed (for the second or third time) that the car seemed to have a flat tire as the back passenger side seemed lower. It did seem a little lower but I thought if might be an optical illusion as I was parked at an angle in the garage. However, after thinking about it awhile, I decided that just maybe she may have a better eye for this and got out a level. Sure enough it is lower. Of course I had to thank my bride for pointing it out to me. My laptop with VAG-COM is in many pieces so I can't pull codes at this time myself but it appeared that there were no codes. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Little sideways movement indicates bad alignment. You should check it.

Measure and write down heights at all four corners just after driving. Put it in Jack Mode and lock it. Floor to the middle of each fender. Measure it again tomorrow. Than you will know for sure.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default update on tilt

Originally Posted by mishar
Little sideways movement indicates bad alignment. You should check it.

Measure and write down heights at all four corners just after driving. Put it in Jack Mode and lock it. Floor to the middle of each fender. Measure it again tomorrow. Than you will know for sure.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for the advice Mishar.

First - alingment was done by Audi dealership when new tires were installed 2 months ago. I think I am ok there - not much difference pre alignment/tires to afterwards in cars dynamics.

I have looked at this a little more. The entire car is lower on passenger side. I did measurements after car was idle for 3 hours.

Car is in Comfort mode. Measurements after 3 hours of sitting and after running for 4 minutes are the same.

FL 29 3/8" to bottom of fender to ground through center of tire
FR 28 7/8"
BL 29"
BR 28 4/8"

When car is put in Lift Mode and running
FL 30 3/8"
FR 29 7/8"
BL 30"
BR 29 4/8"

So the car is about 1/2" lower on passenger side. There is no dash disply and when codes were pulled there were no codes related to suspension.

Car occasionally makes a groan/squeak once shortly after start-up and typically when turning. Sound from front and I believe suspension related but can't be sure.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carry a lighter passenger?

Perhaps your control arm bushings are going/gone and this makes the car settle because of the lack of bushing? That could account for the squeak.

My guess.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If one side is 1/2" lower you should perform VCDS level adaptation.

Alignment vise, how about second opinion?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
If one side is 1/2" lower you should perform VCDS level adaptation.

Alignment vise, how about second opinion?
Thanks,

I am bringing in on Monday for VCDS Adaptation - I wish I had my VAG computer working - I am assuming that is something I could do with that. I will have alignment checked again after but car seems to be aligned.