A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The battery is dead; long live the battery !

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default The battery is dead; long live the battery !

Only this time it was the Group 8 Energizer AGM battery I put in last year. I went out to my car this morning and it was so dead I had to trigger the emergency key release to get the key out of the ignition so i could open the trunk. My meter said the battery had 7.49 V !! Took it to Sam's and they pronounced it DOA.

My car has killed a battery every year for the six years I have owned it. Fortunately they are always replaced for free by Sam's. Last time around I paid the difference to up-grade to an AGM battery with the thought that it would live through the deep cycling that must be ocurring with my car in as much as it uses up a battery in a year.

I will say that, unlike the conventional batteries I have had, the AGM had none of the odd (sometimes spurrious) "low battery level" incidents with the Energy Mgmt module; so that is reason enough to stay with an AGM. But it died in about the same time interval as the rest. Amazing.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had been having the every two or three week Low battery level issues so I replaced the battery. This morning I was greeted with "low battery level". I'm going to put a meter on it when I get home but it certainly didn't crank slowly.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
Only this time it was the Group 8 Energizer AGM battery I put in last year. I went out to my car this morning and it was so dead I had to trigger the emergency key release to get the key out of the ignition so i could open the trunk. My meter said the battery had 7.49 V !! Took it to Sam's and they pronounced it DOA.

My car has killed a battery every year for the six years I have owned it. Fortunately they are always replaced for free by Sam's. Last time around I paid the difference to up-grade to an AGM battery with the thought that it would live through the deep cycling that must be ocurring with my car in as much as it uses up a battery in a year.

I will say that, unlike the conventional batteries I have had, the AGM had none of the odd (sometimes spurrious) "low battery level" incidents with the Energy Mgmt module; so that is reason enough to stay with an AGM. But it died in about the same time interval as the rest. Amazing.
Have you looked for current discharges when car is off/sleeping? Obviously not normal to burn batteries up annually, so I'm guessing you either couldn't find it, or are okay w/ the free battery replace approach.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default yeah...

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Have you looked for current discharges when car is off/sleeping? Obviously not normal to burn batteries up annually, so I'm guessing you either couldn't find it, or are okay w/ the free battery replace approach.
I wouldnt know how to search for a current drain; and when the batteries die it happens overnight in my parking lot, so theres not much inconvenience since there is always another car to use to fetch the new battery.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would ( and have) purchase a jump pack like this:

Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start Jump Starter/Personal Power Supply XP-1 XP-1: Automotive

You obviously have a drain. I have never been good at finding them, good luck!
Old 10-22-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
+1

Start with VCDS scan. As far as I remember some people had problem with amplifier.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I just replaced my original OEM battery (8 years doesn't seem to be a bad run), because I park the car in the summer (most of the time) it went dead. I charged it a few times and was able to drive the car, but got tired of doing that....actually had to buy a small cigarette lighter piece and hook my trickle charger up to it because the car was so close to the back wall in my storage garage I could not get the trunk open! A day of being on the trickle charger worked.

I was thinking of other type of batteries.....but figured OEM would be best. I think it was $220 from the local stealer.

After installing the new batteries are you programming the car for the new battery via VCDS? How often do you drive the car? If every day, you either have a current draw when the car is turned off, or if you don't tell the computer you have a new battery in, that could be a contributing factor.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I just replaced the battery in my D3 S8 last week as well. It had been slowly losing the needed capacity to start the car especially since the car isn't driven daily. I used the VCDS to program it afterwards and so far so good!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:04 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
I wouldnt know how to search for a current drain; and when the batteries die it happens overnight in my parking lot, so theres not much inconvenience since there is always another car to use to fetch the new battery.
Something is wrong with the car and just knowing that would motivate most of us to get it fixed, if that's not enough not knowing if the next day will be the day that the car won't start...