A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Died in Parking Lot--Had to get a jump.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Glad it's running good for you CMS. Eventually, if you don't recode, your dome light will go out instantly vs. the delayed dimming of it as well as no interior lights when you shut the engine down. It could take months for this to happen.

Since you ordered the cable, recode it when you get the cable.

Sorry that I forgot to mention the initial car power up when connecting a battery. Same goes for charging a completely drained battery.

Did you check your old one for water/electrolyte level? These cars are thirsty and they dry out the battery every couple of years. No worries with you new AGM though.

Photos of my '04 at Jerry's World yesterday and tonight showing how far we have to drive home tomorrow. Note vehicle odometer.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Mister Bally; 01-01-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Glad it's running good for you CMS. Eventually, if you don't recode, your dome light will go out instantly vs. the delayed dimming of it as well as no interior lights when you shut the engine down. It could take months for this to happen.

Since you ordered the cable, recode it when you get the cable.

Sorry that I forgot to mention the initial car power up when connecting a battery. Same goes for charging a completely drained battery.

Did you check your old one for water/electrolyte level? These cars are thirsty and they dry out the battery every couple of years. No worries with you new AGM though.

Photos of my '04 at Jerry's World yesterday and tonight showing how far we have to drive home tomorrow. Note vehicle odometer.

How'd you like AT&T stadium? It's a nice stadium..Jerry has no problem overcharging for every thing. It generally will cost me around 75-100 just for PARKING...ridiculous.

233k, that is very impressive. haha, i've got about 200k more to go, to catch up to you. If I even keep this car. Obviously, we (all A8 drivers) are quite spoiled with the superb ride quality/attention to detail Audi puts into these amazing machines...but, I have always wanted a hybrid. Maybe, in a few years I will make the switch.

I am actually looking at the Elio Motors car as a secondary car--quite a great car driving back and forth to work..80ishMPG! Certainly, not a family car. Only 2 seats!!

Also, I really do appreciate you offering to give me a hand, if I needed.

I may send u a PM when I get the VCDS in..since I have no idea, at all, on how to recode the battery.

Have a safe drive!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello, again.

So, I am doing some research on VCDS (as mine just shipped today)..and I came across the WIKI page...I found the section for battery replacement. At least, I hope it is the correct section.

Audi A8 (4E) Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki

It says:

Enter the new Battery Part Number (10 or 11 digits).
Enter the new Battery Serial Number (10 digits).
Select the new Battery Vendor.

How do I do those 3 steps? The website says "the following procedure does assume you are using a battery supplied by VW/Audi"...this duralast, isn't OEM..so, what must I do? Thanks, guys.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Add one to the serial number

Originally Posted by CMS062407
Hello, again.

So, I am doing some research on VCDS (as mine just shipped today)..and I came across the WIKI page...I found the section for battery replacement. At least, I hope it is the correct section.

Audi A8 (4E) Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki

It says:

Enter the new Battery Part Number (10 or 11 digits).
Enter the new Battery Serial Number (10 digits).
Select the new Battery Vendor.

How do I do those 3 steps? The website says "the following procedure does assume you are using a battery supplied by VW/Audi"...this duralast, isn't OEM..so, what must I do? Thanks, guys.
Use the same part number and vendor. Add one to your stored serial number. This does not connect to a central database.
My car has a white VAG replacement battery. Next one will be from a local parts store.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Use the same part number and vendor. Add one to your stored serial number. This does not connect to a central database.
My car has a white VAG replacement battery. Next one will be from a local parts store.
okay, thanks. So I will leave the Part Number and Battery Vendor untouched? and for the Serial #....just simply place a "1" at the end of the number sequence? No deletion of any numbers in the serial? thanks, again.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

okay, thanks. So I will leave the Part Number and Battery Vendor untouched? and for the Serial #....just simply place a "1" at the end of the number sequence? No deletion of any numbers in the serial? thanks, again.
No you dont put another digit to the end of the serial number you change the last digit
  • 1234567891 like this for example
Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default +1 on other responses.

On part # and vendor, all I think that is doing is telling the electronics the CCA/A-H ratings of the battery via some small database of known batteries and ratings the system is pre programmed for. If the battery you are installing is the same/quite similar on the ratings to the OE, it shouldn't matter.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by haggisuk
No you dont put another digit to the end of the serial number you change the last digit
  • 1234567891 like this for example
Thanks, a lot. I will do that!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
On part # and vendor, all I think that is doing is telling the electronics the CCA/A-H ratings of the battery via some small database of known batteries and ratings the system is pre programmed for. If the battery you are installing is the same/quite similar on the ratings to the OE, it shouldn't matter.
thanks for the input, again.

If i remember correctly..the OE is 850CCA. My new battery is 950CCA. Would that be considered "same/quite similar"?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default DFW VCDS

lol, goodness. Ross-Tech sure get you on shipping charges, too. Cheapest available is $22 to DFW.
I'm in Frisco and can help you if you need it
Santa brought me VCDS cable

Quick Reply: Battery Died in Parking Lot--Had to get a jump.