A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Energy Control Module.. any way to test?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Energy Control Module.. any way to test?

2005 Audi A8.. I do have VCDS...

Looking through other threads people suggest if the car has been jumped from the battery terminals (not the negative post above the terminal) than "MOST LIKELY" the battery manager is bad. So I'm curious if the battery manager will produce fault codes? If not is there any way to definitely test it as functioning or malfunctioning? Thank you so much!

Chris
Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 391 Likes on 352 Posts

You will be able to see if the BEM system was active when you do a scan. You can see it activate when your battery is weak. Probably warnings from the car, too.

Don't know about checking for a failure of the system itself.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by 707chris
2005 Audi A8.. I do have VCDS...

Looking through other threads people suggest if the car has been jumped from the battery terminals (not the negative post above the terminal) than "MOST LIKELY" the battery manager is bad. So I'm curious if the battery manager will produce fault codes? If not is there any way to definitely test it as functioning or malfunctioning? Thank you so much!

Chris
The module of course produces the quiescent codes often found all over a scan. I don't know if it has its own code saying it is screwed up, but it seems likely it would.

You can look and see if any quiescent codes that are saved already have a date or miles in the zone of when you want to look. There is always the basic field test for that matter. Simplest is leaving the lights on for a while and seeing if it kicks in. MMI screen is another big power suck. At 50% down it starts to throw quiescent codes. If you really load it up with ignition on motor off, you may be able to trigger pretty fast--MMI screen, headlights, fogs, HVAC fan high, rear defroster, seat heaters, etc. Might be 30 min or so from prior casual VCDS use w/ ignition and various things on and I get the quiescent codes doing other things. Just go down to that 50%--no big deal in my experience and then look for codes in that and other modules. If there, practical confirm it's working. You can look up list of what goes first as far as load cuts too. Obvious ones are keyless entry if you have it and in due course the remote function.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The module of course produces the quiescent codes often found all over a scan. I don't know if it has its own code saying it is screwed up, but it seems likely it would.

You can look and see if any quiescent codes that are saved already have a date or miles in the zone of when you want to look. There is always the basic field test for that matter. Simplest is leaving the lights on for a while and seeing if it kicks in. MMI screen is another big power suck. At 50% down it starts to throw quiescent codes. If you really load it up with ignition on motor off, you may be able to trigger pretty fast--MMI screen, headlights, fogs, HVAC fan high, rear defroster, seat heaters, etc. Might be 30 min or so from prior casual VCDS use w/ ignition and various things on and I get the quiescent codes doing other things. Just go down to that 50%--no big deal in my experience and then look for codes in that and other modules. If there, practical confirm it's working. You can look up list of what goes first as far as load cuts too. Obvious ones are keyless entry if you have it and in due course the remote function.
If the BEM does not go through ALL quiescent shutdown stages is it faulty? For example it only goes through/completes a few of the allotted shutdown stages/codes? Lastly, if buying a used OEM battery manager, how do I verify it is also not faulty? Thank you

Chris
Old 06-11-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

if buying a used OEM battery manager, how do I verify it is also not faulty? Thank you

Chris
You know the drill: "no refunds on electrical parts" Best to buy new from an Audi dealer.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
You know the drill: "no refunds on electrical parts" Best to buy new from an Audi dealer.
Well there are shops selling them as "tested and fully functional" with at least 30 day. And other than asking the shop about their method, I'm back to square one and wondering if anyone knows of a verified method to test battery energy manager for full functionality. Thanks again..
Old 06-11-2015, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts

Well there are shops selling them as "tested and fully functional" with at least 30 day. And other than asking the shop about their method, I'm back to square one and wondering if anyone knows of a verified method to test battery energy manager for full functionality. Thanks again..
So, I'll turn it back to you...

Do you own a Bentley manual and relevant Audi technical publications? I think questions at this level might (not will, might) be answered with materials like those. Not everyday Audi repair info by a wide margin in my judgment. Needle in a haystack if anyone has diagnosed it in detail anything like you are suggesting.

Not trying to be ornery but just thinking you are asking beyond the level of available knowledge except from very detailed publications. About the most detailed info I have seen are tables as to what turns off at each step and numbered level from 50% on down.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you own a Bentley manual and relevant Audi technical publications? I think questions at this level might (not will, might) be answered with materials like those. Not everyday Audi repair info by a wide margin in my judgment. Needle in a haystack if anyone has diagnosed it in detail anything like you are suggesting.

Not trying to be ornery but just thinking you are asking beyond the level of available knowledge except from very detailed publications. About the most detailed info I have seen are tables as to what turns off at each step and numbered level from 50% on down.

No worries. I deduced it wasn't available knowledge as most responses tend to lean towards the probability of "may be faulty" or "jumping could have fried". I was just searching for a pass or fail method. And to answer your question I do not own a Bentley manual or relating material, hence my thread. Thanks again
Old 06-15-2015, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

IF you have some of these publications available, please share.

I'd be interested in what modules are shut off at which stage, just to make it easier in the future to diagnose power-leak problems.

I have seen in all A8 i've scanned codes for stages 1-6 that are shut off by BEM, but I don't know what which stage does.

And to testing the module, put on ignition or just the MMI is enough, it should put a "shutdown" message on the display in around 30-45min, that the battery is starting to get empty, and that you should start your car, or the system will shut down.

You can of course leave on lights, ignition etc, but my suggestion is the MMI, because it gives a clear warning on the MMI screen.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the Bentley manual but it is installed on a eleven year old computer without a screen capture version of Windows. Besides, no one offered to share theirs with me so I had to buy my own copy.

Quick Reply: Battery Energy Control Module.. any way to test?