A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change

Ok, so like an idiot, I went and got an oil change. Anyway, they took out the air filter, did the oil change, when i get in my car, it makes some kind of weird grinding/fluttering sound. Like if there's a piece of plastic stuck in a bicycle wheel. Sounds like rubbing in the wheel well maybe but not sure. The sound is only there when accelerating.

I bring it back, they put it back on the lift, start checking stuff out, i see some burning mist, probably spilled oil that fell on a hot part in the engine bay so not too worried about that. They're revving the engine, while up on the lift. The drivers front tire is acting weird, slowing down and starting back up erratically. He takes foot off accelerator and puts it on the break and it still keeps revving and wouldn't stop, even when he applied foot to the brake. While this is happening, they put the car in park and I hear a loud grinding sound as the revving stops. They did that twice by the way. I almost crapped my pants. I can't believe someone who works on cars would do that, TWICE. Until I told him not to do that again.

They gave up and said sorry, best of luck, etc. I'm driving home and it's drivable other than when revving it I hear the light fluttering and grinding noise. I just went to go test it, same thing, just not as bad as before. But, now the Emission Control System dummy light is on so I'm thinking maybe they didn't put the air filter back on right??? Also, I can't seem to change the suspension to anything but sport mode and I usually have it in comfort or automatic. So I was kind of thinking that maybe the sport mode suspension combined with the 20 inch wheels is making it rub...but that wouldn't explain the Emission Control System dummy light I think, right?

I'm kind of lost here and need help before I get screwed by some mechanic for 2k.

PLEASE HELP !!!

P.S., I'm new to the forum so if I posted in the wrong section or something, my apology, no harm meant.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the board. You are right where you should be.

You need to explain a bit better what happened and what you are hearing.

If it was only oil and filter change they had to take complete air filter box out. That involves disconnecting a corrugated hose from the bottom of the box. Inexperienced mechanic might have problem with this, even brake it. That would cause emission control light.

You said you have only sport (dynamic) mode available. That is unrelated issue that has to be addressed, but it won't cause any rubbing with any at least regular wheels. OEM 20's not for sure.

That "bicycle" sound may come from the right fan if they bent something while fighting mentioned hose.

Anyways, take your time and try to explain a bit more what you can hear and see in that corner. For example, that part with wheel revving and not stopping even when brake was applied is completely misty.

At the end you may consider going to the Audi dealer (I thought I would never say this ) and prepare your case if it gets really expensive.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply mishar. I'm thinking this has to be an easy fix because nothing was wrong with it before, and all they did was put the car up on the lift and change the oil. I'm not so worried about that revving issue because my guess is this is just how the car is, and it drives fine. It's just that rubbing/fluttering sound and the Emission Control light that has me confused.

Imagine a bicycle wheel moving and you stick a piece of cardboard or thin plastic, like a baseball card or something in there. Only when accelerating does it produce the sound. At 20mph if i'm accelerating it makes the sound. But when I get up to 50mph, if I stop accelerating or put it in cruise control, the sound disappears. It's only when revving the gas that the sound is there. But as far as how the car actually feels, I would say I don't really notice a difference. I'm going to leave in a few to see the manager and go to work so we'll see if there is any difference this morning.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

You need to find a shop which has experience working on these cars! You are paying those idiots at the oil-change place to experiment on your car. Demand a refund and take it to the dealer. I would not let them NEAR the car again if I were you!

Fill in your location (and car model) in your profile and maybe someone who lives near you will take a look at it.

There is an air injection pump Misha mentioned and there's a vacuum connection to the airbox which must be disconnected for access to the oil filter. These cars are the pinnacle of automotive technology and as such are beyond the ability of Jiffy-Lube et al.

Welcome to AW, BTW.

-Tom
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

There is an air compressor for the suspension in front of the driver's side wheel. It runs intermittently. Many of them fail and the magnets come loose inside and it makes an intermittent grinding/clicking (the magnets interfering with the rotor in the motor). This could be connected to the idiotry at the oil change place, if they didn't put the car into Jack Mode before they put it up on a lift... They DID switch it to Jack Mode, right?

The car should know if it's being raised on a lift even if jack mode is not switched on, but the SSP (Audi Self Study Program for techs) says to raise the lift as quickly as possible so the car recognises that it's being raised on a lift. So there's another variable or two to consider in our equation.

Important question: what does the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) in the instrument panel look like (there are many)? Has it stayed on or has it been on & off?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Well, it must be a big coincidence for things to fall apart after an oil change. For me to avoid these "coincidences", I do it myself or take my car to a dealer because oil change only happens @7500 miles intervals. Truly, I only change oil once a year.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, big coincidence Louis.

Update, i left this morning. The car was sputtering. It calmed down after warm up. I brought it to JiffyLube, they saw that the hose for the air filter was not on all the way. So they fixed that. It still has that fluttering/grinding sound when accelerating though. They hooked it up and it shows all cylinders have codes or are misfiring along with the O2 sensor. The light that is on is the Emission Control dummy light.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audilover78
Yes, big coincidence Louis.

Update, i left this morning. The car was sputtering. It calmed down after warm up. I brought it to JiffyLube, they saw that the hose for the air filter was not on all the way. So they fixed that. It still has that fluttering/grinding sound when accelerating though. They hooked it up and it shows all cylinders have codes or are misfiring along with the O2 sensor. The light that is on is the Emission Control dummy light.
I'm thinking these novices caused this damage to your car. The first time I went to a non-Audi shop (meaning not a dealership), I stood and watched them the entire time. I had to stop them and tell them to put the car in jack mode. You can't trust just anyone to work on these gems.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This has to be the problem I'm thinking, or closer to the answer than anything. They wouldn't even know how to put the car in jack mode I'm sure or think to do it. At this point, is the car dangerous to drive, will I screw anything up and how do we fix this if this is the issue?

Originally Posted by aTOMic*
There is an air compressor for the suspension in front of the driver's side wheel. It runs intermittently. Many of them fail and the magnets come loose inside and it makes an intermittent grinding/clicking (the magnets interfering with the rotor in the motor). This could be connected to the idiotry at the oil change place, if they didn't put the car into Jack Mode before they put it up on a lift... They DID switch it to Jack Mode, right?

The car should know if it's being raised on a lift even if jack mode is not switched on, but the SSP (Audi Self Study Program for techs) says to raise the lift as quickly as possible so the car recognises that it's being raised on a lift. So there's another variable or two to consider in our equation.

Important question: what does the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) in the instrument panel look like (there are many)? Has it stayed on or has it been on & off?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default FWIW, oil change interval...

is every 10K miles by the book for the U.S., and has been for the last couple of generations of Audi's generally.

Quick Reply: Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change