A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Clear the codes with VCDS - it should be OK now.

Originally Posted by audilover78
Yes, big coincidence Louis.

Update, i left this morning. The car was sputtering. It calmed down after warm up. I brought it to JiffyLube, they saw that the hose for the air filter was not on all the way. So they fixed that. It still has that fluttering/grinding sound when accelerating though. They hooked it up and it shows all cylinders have codes or are misfiring along with the O2 sensor. The light that is on is the Emission Control dummy light.
When the car doesn't run right, all faults will come up, as long as everything is connected correctly, everything should be fine.

Good luck and learn your lesson :-),

Louis
Old 07-10-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts
Default Somewhat hard to follow/be sure, but I would be looking at two basic areas:

1. The various engine running issues, codes and related lights
2. The noise

1. On the first, as others have said it sounds like disconnected hoses around the air box and such may have led to the running and trouble lights issues. Things should be reconnected and assembled correctly, and then codes cleared. After that, see if all is in order as far as engine running. That will simplify stuff a lot and get down/back to the noise issue.

2. On the noise, it sounds from your description like at times the car was running on the lift either in park or in neutral--the wheel spinning backwards for example; in park one front wheel goes forward when the other goes the opposite way when I jack mine up. Then it sounds like they had it in drive and were running it on the lift. I hope the rear wheels were free to turn too while doing that; kind of a no-no for stressing things. Regardless and more specifically from your description, when you put the car in park, drivetrain motion has to be stopped first. Thus while driving, of course you come to a stop before putting it in park. True of any automatic regardless of make. If it is on a lift with wheels spinning, the wheels have to be braked to a full stop before it is put in Park. Otherwise, the parking pawl inside the tranny doesn't engaged to something stopped. That's the thing I'm wondering about noise wise and from your description akin to something struck in bicycle spokes. From other cars' experience (boo-boos'...) I think it can physically be engaged while wheels are spinning, which leads to kind of a loud ratchet clicking noise until it comes to a stop; whether damage occurs or not would be situational and tranny design dependent, and I certainly haven't run into that in any recent car. I can't really figure out how the noise would have started earlier (before the lift stuff), other than coincidence or something physically rubbing on a drive axle up front.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. They reconnected the hose to the air box/filter so I think that sputtering this morning will not happen anymore. Not sure how to clear the code. I had an old Kia that would clear the codes if i disconnected battery for a few minutes. I'll try that.

2. Just to be clear, the rubbing/fluttering sound happened while driving, before I brought it back to them and they put it in park while wheels spinning on the lift.

3. Could them not putting in in jack mode have something to do with me not being able to change the suspension from sport to comfort or automatic where I want it?? Is it possible that with the 20 inch wheels, the sport mode lowers the car too much and it creates rubbing from the tires?

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
1. The various engine running issues and related lights
2. The noise

1. On the first, as others have said it sounds like disconnected hoses around the air box and such may have led to the running and trouble lights issues. Things should be reconnected and assembled correctly, and then codes cleared. After that, see if all is in order as far as engine running. That will simplify stuff a lot and get down/back to the noise issue.

2. On the noise, it sounds from your description like at times the car was running on the lift either in park or in neutral--the wheel spinning backwards for example; in park one front wheel goes forward when the other goes the opposite way when I jack mine up. Then it sounds like they had it in drive and were running it on the lift. I hope the rear wheels were free to turn too while doing that; kind of a no-no for stressing things. Regardless and more specifically from your description, when you put the car in park, drivetrain motion has to be stopped first. Thus while driving, of course you come to a stop before putting it in park. True of any automatic regardless of make. If it is on a lift with wheels spinning, the wheels ave to be braked to a stop. Otherwise, the parking pawl inside the tranny doesn't engaged to something stopped. That's the thing I'm wondering about noise wise and from your description. From other cars experience I think it can physically be engaged while wheels are spinning, which leads to kind of a loud ratchet clicking noise until it comes to a stop; whether damage occurs or not would be situational and tranny design dependent, and I certainly haven't run into that in any modern car. I can't really figure out how the noise would have started earlier (before the lift stuff), other than coincidence or something physically rubbing on a drive axle up front.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

1. They reconnected the hose to the air box/filter so I think that sputtering this morning will not happen anymore. Not sure how to clear the code. I had an old Kia that would clear the codes if i disconnected battery for a few minutes. I'll try that.

2. Just to be clear, the rubbing/fluttering sound happened while driving, before I brought it back to them and they put it in park while wheels spinning on the lift.

3. Could them not putting in in jack mode have something to do with me not being able to change the suspension from sport to comfort or automatic where I want it?? Is it possible that with the 20 inch wheels, the sport mode lowers the car too much and it creates rubbing from the tires?
1. No, disconnecting battery does not do it. You need to clear codes electronically. Many of us use what is called VAG-COM on the forums--a several hundred dollar cable with related software. But, any shop that does mechanical work is likely to have a basic code reader that can clear codes. Have them do it. Of course if they come back, the issues remain.

2. I really don't follow your description about the lift. Was the car EVER not in park on the lift? If always in park, one wheel will spin the opposite of the other in front (don't recall in back), but it is only nominal speed. On the other hand, I rarely have all wheels in the air with engine running at all experience wise. And if always in Park, then parking pawl points I made can probably be dismissed. Then you have some other TBD noise source.

3. No, the factory 20's clear in full, Jack mode oversight or not. Lots of times on mine frankly I forget to set it first before jacking a wheel up--with factory 20's and 275's. No big deal. S8's all have at least 265/35-20s's (and some 275's probably and they all have the 20mm type sports drop, but likewise no rampant (or even occasional) reports of persistent issues related to lift mode passing forgetfulness. I would run the car for a while to see what happens on the suspension stuff. If battery is low or compressor overworked, system will cut out for a while. When I use mine a lot while parked and dong maintenance, I at least need to start it and let compressor get back going behind the scenes. And if battery is somewhat low, it can take more time.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After i heard a problem while driving it after they did the oil change, they lifted the car on the lift. They put it in drive with all 4 tires in air and they revved the engine. One wheel was sticking a little(front driver side wheel). Then, he took foot off the gas and the engine was still revving by itself. The one guy told him to put it in park while this was going on and since the engine was revving and tires spinning, the clacking noise ensued. Then they did that again till I told them not to.

Now, even before they did this, i was experiencing some issue while driving so I don't think my current issue is related to putting in in park while driving. That's why I was thinking that rubbing sound was suspension related........I really just hate not knowing what it is. And it's only on acceleration. I can cruise at 60mph and no problem with the car, it's only when the rpms rise.

2. I really don't follow your description about the lift. Was the car EVER not in park on the lift? If always in park, one wheel will spin the opposite of the other in front (don't recall in back), but it is only nominal speed. On the other hand, I rarely have all wheels in the air with engine running at all experience wise. And if always in Park, then parking pawl points I made can probably be dismissed. Then you have some other TBD noise source.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

They could not have switched from drive to park without pressing the brake, assuming the brake light switch is working.

There is no "Emissions control warning light".

Are either of the suspension warning lights on?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My bet is that running the driveline with the CV joints at their extreme limit of flex stressed a weak CV joint, causing it to break.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True nominally, but not in reality.

Yes you have to apply the brake, but only lightly. When driving, you can easily shift through neutral to either drive or reverse with the car in motion just by light application of the brakes. And when on a lift, that's different than bringing the wheels to a complete stop before shifting into Park. That is what should have been done. Souds like it was not, which would mean the parking pawl was probably clicking until the wheels came to a stop.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes you have to apply the brake, but only lightly. When driving, you can easily shift through neutral to either drive or reverse with the car in motion just by light application of the brakes. And when on a lift, that's different than bringing the wheels to a complete stop before shifting into Park. That is what should have been done. Souds like it was not, which would mean the parking pawl was probably clicking until the wheels came to a stop.
I'm respectfully disagreeing here MP. True, the car can be shifted without a complete stop while on the ground, but that's because the mass of the car tends to keep the car in motion despite a light press of the brake; however the mass of the car has no effect when on the lift. Have you ever had a car off the ground and touched the brakes? The wheels go from fast to zero in about a half second (granted, probably slightly longer given the mass of the quattro system). Yes, older cars had a parking pawl that ground the car to a halt, but I think in this case, while on a lift, touching the brake enough to disengage the shift lockout and allow changing gears would have stopped the wheels.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

...I had an old Kia that would clear the codes if i disconnected battery for a few minutes. I'll try that...
Ok, this guy is obviously trolling us...

Quick Reply: Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change