A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. This isn't a fake story, enough of that please.

2. When the guy in the car was hitting the gas, there was no dummy light yet, so they had no idea what was going on other than the fluttering/grinding/clicking sound. They thought it might be an axle issue or something. When they put the car up on the lift, they just put it in drive and wheels started moving, they gave it a little gas and they noticed the front wheels were spinning, then the drivers side front wheel would stop for a second, then start spinning real quick. They were trying to stop the spinning and applying the brake didnt work, so someone said "put it in park"

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Why would anyone in the right mind or mechanically inclined revs the engine at high RPM sitting still (beside smog station inspectors)? That's what you get for letting monkeys working on your car.
I think this is also a fake story.
Who's in the right mind would let Jiffy Lube to change his/her A8 oil, sit and rev the car at high RPM to solve idiot lights problems. It's unbelievable.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-11-2013, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by audilover78
They were trying to stop the spinning and applying the brake didnt work, ...
This is possible only if your brake is not working. Or guy doesn't know which one is a brake pedal.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Lol, I kind of didn't believe him either until I walked over and stuck my head in and watched him take his foot off the brake and gas and i still heard the engine revving........that's when I told him to put it in neutral instead of going straight to park. I don't know what the issue is, I just want the rubbing to stop and I'm going to buy an extended warranty and see what Audi has to say about the car.

Originally Posted by mishar
This is possible only if your brake is not working. Or guy doesn't know which one is a brake pedal.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Idiot

Lol, I kind of didn't believe him either until I walked over and stuck my head in and watched him take his foot off the brake and gas and i still heard the engine revving........that's when I told him to put it in neutral instead of going straight to park. I don't know what the issue is, I just want the rubbing to stop and I'm going to buy an extended warranty and see what Audi has to say about the car.
at least you are willing to admit it.
first if you give a gun to a monkey and goes and shoots somebody who's fault is it?
stop calling these people names like grease monkeys, they trying the best they can, is the idiots who buy a car they can't afford and take it to them who are at fault.
you want to avoid this go to a dealer and don't worry about situations like this.
Now for the other genius here, the reason the wheels would spin and stop for a split second and continue spinning while the brake applied is because they/he/she never turn the traction control off before running the car in the hoist, this also has to do with rpm going up.
now to your original concern.
any history on this car?
is this the first time "YOU" change the oil?.
bought the car recently?
more than a few times seen that when oil change is done the engine makes noise right after the change.
most often we found that the car was purchased recently and the previous owner/dealer used extra thick oil to camouflage the noises and once the right oil is used the noises come right back.
wish I can have more details but seems you have no clue of what you are talking so it would be a waste of time.
by your description sounds to me like a cam adjuster unit is making the noise as it appears to be only during acceleration.
my advise is sell this car and be happy with your kia.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by s4master1
first if you give a gun to a monkey and goes and shoots somebody who's fault is it?
stop calling these people names like grease monkeys, they trying the best they can, is the idiots who buy a car they can't afford and take it to them who are at fault.
you want to avoid this go to a dealer and don't worry about situations like this.
Now for the other genius here, the reason the wheels would spin and stop for a split second and continue spinning while the brake applied is because they/he/she never turn the traction control off before running the car in the hoist, this also has to do with rpm going up.
any history on this car?
bought the car recently?
more than a few times seen that when oil change is done the engine makes noise right after the change.
most often we found that the car was purchased recently and the previous owner/dealer used extra thick oil to camouflage the noises and once the right oil is used the noises come right back.
wish I can have more details but seems you have no clue of what you are talking so it would be a waste of time.
by your description sounds to me like a cam adjuster unit is making the noise as it appears to be only during acceleration.
Wow, did somebody have a bad day at work?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

... the reason the wheels would spin and stop for a split second and continue spinning while the brake applied is because they/he/she never turn the traction control off before running the car in the hoist, this also has to do with rpm going up.
Can you please explain what exactly is happening here? Is trucking control preventing car from stopping, even accelerating?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default traction

Originally Posted by mishar
Can you please explain what exactly is happening here? Is trucking control preventing car from stopping, even accelerating?
as the car is hoisted and no load on wheels when in gear wheels don't turn at the same speed just like any regular car.
the abs/traction control reacts trying to make adjustments by correcting the wheel speed individually to bring them at the same speed, the throttle also trying to speed up the lagging wheel/s.
the system just simply feels and acts as if confused, you can tell how the brake pedal is pushing/pulsating back when all this happens and if the car is shifted to park at this point at least one of the wheels is still spinning causing that ratcheting noise in the transmission.
there's a lot more technical explanation of how the electronic/hydraulic and mechanical system work together to accomplish a good level of control than this but this is as simple I can explain.
this would not happen if the car is sitting on the ground as the weight of the car is the biggest factor on how the system operates.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Right, I'll go get another Kia, good idea. Here's a better one. Go FK yourself. I never really said anything bad about the people there, it was others who chimed in. All I came here looking to do was get some advice to troubleshoot a car issue but you want to try and prove something in an online forum. Stop being pathetic, because that's exactly what it is, very pathetic and don't visit this thread again.

any history on this car?
bought the car recently?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

as the car is hoisted and no load on wheels when in gear wheels don't turn at the same speed just like any regular car.
the abs/traction control reacts trying to make adjustments by correcting the wheel speed individually to bring them at the same speed, the throttle also trying to speed up the lagging wheel/s.
the system just simply feels and acts as if confused, you can tell how the brake pedal is pushing/pulsating back when all this happens and if the car is shifted to park at this point at least one of the wheels is still spinning causing that ratcheting noise in the transmission.
there's a lot more technical explanation of how the electronic/hydraulic and mechanical system work together to accomplish a good level of control than this but this is as simple I can explain.
this would not happen if the car is sitting on the ground as the weight of the car is the biggest factor on how the system operates.
If this is from your experience (that I highly respect) than somebody in Audi engineering is dangerously crazy. It would mean that ingenious system that can measure all wheel speeds and all kinds of accelerations can be confused by simply relaxing the weight from the suspension by jumping a bump at high speed (rally style). That confused it would overwrite scared drivers braking by applying some more throttle. If that is so I would be first to take your advice and buy a KIA. Or Hyundai.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Right, I'll go get another Kia, good idea. Here's a better one. Go FK yourself...
Haha lol'd. Literally.

That "S4master" is gruff but occasionally comes up with some useful information between insults and unpunctuated rants. I think they must keep him chained up in the back of the shop, though, else he'd chase off all the customers!

-Tom

Quick Reply: Big Problem with 2006 A8 after oil change