A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW 750i vs. 2005 Big Grill A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 750i vs. 2005 Big Grill A8

Help me buy my next car- I plan to order it this May. I need to replace my 8-year old A8. As I look over the market for great cars today I come down to two: The upcoming BMW 750 (which fixes some cosmetic flaws in the 745) and the big-grill short wheelbase A8.

Which should I buy?

Here are some rambling thoughts I have (sorry if this is too long a post):
1. I think the BMW looks better outside and the Audi has a more elegant cabin. Point to Audi since the interior is where I will spend my time. I think the quality of the plastic, wood, leather and ***** of the Audi are the best I have seen in any car anywhere.

2. The Audi has an Aluminum body which has proved remarkably good for the 8-years that I have owned my current A8. It seems more dent and chip resistant than regular steel cars. Could that be true? If so, point to Audi.

3. The BMW probably has better handling at high speed. Point to BMW.

4. The BMW is more popular than the Audi by far and perhaps related to that has a higher resale value. Point BMW. (Do you agree with this?).

5. Safety is probably a draw.

6. Cost is probably a draw.

7. 4-wheel drive on the Audi vs. rear wheel drive on the BMW. Point Audi. Realistically, this is only needed on rare occasions, but I live on a farm which is off a gravel road, off a gravel road. On those occasional snowy winter days, the Audi is more likely to take me to work. Agreed?

8. Power and acceleration of the 750 BMW will probably surpass the Audi A8 slightly. To me this is a draw since they are both more than I need. I don't race.

9. Low tire pressure warning is listed as " Not Available" on the BMW website tonight, but you say they will have that in the 750? The Audi A8 has this. I really want this. Is this a draw?

10. Service experience. I have to say I have not been happy with Audi service (or for that matter, sales). My wife drives a BMW and has been very happy with sales and service. This is important. Point BMW.<ul><li><a href="http://www.henrydomke.com">http://www.henrydomke.com</a</li></ul>
Old 03-20-2005, 05:19 PM
ajw
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: BMW 750i vs. 2005 Big Grill A8

Which should you buy? An A8. You expect any other answer from this group?

I went through much the same thought process as you. I had a 1997 BWM 740iL and a 2002 BMW 540i. I really liked my BMW's but I like my new A8L more.

One thing you missed from your list is technology. I think Audi has done much better at integrating technology into the A8 then BMW has done with the 745.

I'm not sure how you reconcile your views of 3 with 7. I think quattro is a safety feature in at high speeds on any type of contaminated road surfaces.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default you think the BMW looks better outside?

really? to each his own, I suppose.

IMHO, if you live on a gravel road and it snows at all where you live, the Audi is a huge plus. If you're paying $120k for a car, you should have the best safety available, which includes AWD.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Re: BMW 750i vs. 2005 Big Grill A8

Which do you feel better driving? Was a 7 series fan for a long time...still think it's a great car but..seems like everyone has a BMW and many of 'em are 7's...the A8L will grow on you more and more..love the fact it's unique, quattro is also awesome in the rain and I'd have to disagee about stability at speed..this is one amazing car inside and out. Had the same choice to make and couldn't be happier with my 8
Old 03-20-2005, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had that decision to make less than a year ago...

We just had a baby and my S4 became suddenly too small. The A8L looked huge to my wife. Now she loves it and drives it all the time. The room in the back is so expansive that we change diapers on road trips without difficulty. For a car this size, it's surprisingly stable at high speeds. Handling is very predictable. I have not tossed it into any corners but I do not expect to with a car seat in the rear. The trunk is downright cavernous. For those with kids you know how important that can be. As for looks, we love the understated elegance. It is a looker yet not "in your face look at me". 745s are great cars in their own right, but with one on every street corner it is nice to be different. Some Audi service is better than others. I almost took Audi off my list of new car buys and leaned towards the MB side. But a test drive in the A8L won be back. As far as resale, I have 170k miles on my 01 S4 so you can tell I love to drive my cars. Obviously resale value was not a consideration. Buy it, drive it, enjoy it. If you can afford these cars why worry over losing on resale value?
Old 03-21-2005, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Missouri has already made his decision to go BMW, why bother with trying

to change his mind. Let him go.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Current A8 owner into fine art?

He goes with a new A8. No contest. Just get the right wheels.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Agree...

BMW looks better? Safety is a draw?(read recent crash test results), Cost is a draw? (not even close in Canada). And BMW service experience is better? Wow!

Both are great cars. At this level, it boils down to what you're looking for in a car.

Griping about fractional differences in resale value, or the poularity of the brand of a car in this price range generally adds lines to my forehead.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 AM

Default Re: Missouri has already made his decision to go BMW, why bother with trying

gotta try and save him! :-)
Old 03-21-2005, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Lest we not forget the obvious

In the eyes of many, the 750 looks, well, odd... more failed retro than contempory elegant...

And the i-Drive... the **** says it all. It looks and feels like the control on an arcade video game, whereas the A8 MMI **** has the look and feel of a precision instrument...

... and that little do-hickey is the shift lever? Come on, give me a break!

I, too, faced that decision last year... and seeing my A8 emerge Satruday night from the innards of the Masonic Auditorium parking garage on *** Hill in SF, surrounded by a gaggle of 7s, I was never more convinced of my decision.

But, as Greenie says, everything is subjective (or something like that)

Quick Reply: BMW 750i vs. 2005 Big Grill A8