A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position??

Anyone have these or will be putting them on the A8 soon? I have used the Yokohama Advan S4 all seasons, Pirellis P6 and want a better tire overrall for the Spring to Fall season as I use winter Blizzaks during winter time. I want all seasons so no summer tire suggestions please. Has anyone gotten the Continental Contiprocontacts instead? Those are smooth and soft tires and I had them on other cars but not sure about using them on the 19 inch rims on the A8.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Why don't you say which ones you want to use and we just agree?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What interests you about the Potenzas?

I've run Pirellis in the past. The stick really well but get pretty noisy as they wear.

I've never rolled on the Yokohamas before. What do you think of them?

Right now, I've got Conti DWS tires mounted (until spring gets here), and I've been really happy with them.

Why no summer suggestions if you roll on Blizzaks during the winter?

Carry on...
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't like summer tires in Michigan as during Spring and Fall we get rapid swings in temperatures that makes the summer performance tires too harsh and noisy. Also none of them have long mileage warranty. I do 35k miles a year so having a good tire during that time that can last more than 40k miles is good. So back to the point, does anyone have the new Bridgestone Potenzas 980RE? Yokohamas are nice from the beginning (smooth, quiet, good handling, but terrible noise and vibration once wearing out, bad in snow, harsh over highway bumps).

I had defective DWS tires 2x in a row and will not even touch them with a 10 foot pole. Also they do not come in the 19 inch rim size for my A8.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently put the RE960AS Pole Positions on my 2004 A8L. I like them so far. They have been on the car for around 6 weeks. Grip is good in all weather so far, although we haven't had any snow since I had them mounted here in NJ. The tread wear warranty can't be beat at 60,000 miles and tire rack has them in the 19" (or did have them) as a closeout so they were by far the cheapest tire I considered ($212/tire I think).
Old 03-13-2012, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Michelin

Pricey (although no moreso than the Pirelli's) but well worth it for performance with a quiet ride. Bridgestone - not so much.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Want a nice tire that is sporty and doesn't last long at all; buy the Michelin Pilot Sports

I personally would buy the Kumho Ecsta 4X; as they are one of the highest rated tires in the 19" category beside the crazy priced Pilot sports. These tires can be had at around $200 a tire.
The P6's don't hold a candle to the new tires (pilot sport or DWS) as the compound and tire is many years behind in technology and life; as well as their pis-poor reviews they receive.

Last edited by Brozee; 03-13-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Want a nice tire that is sporty and doesn't last long at all; buy the Michelin Pilot Sports

I personally would buy the Kumho Ecsta 4X; as they are one of the highest rated tires in the 19" category beside the crazy priced Pilot sports. These tires can be had at around $200 a tire.
The P6's don't hold a candle to the new tires (pilot sport or DWS) as the compound and tire is many years behind in technology and life; as well as their pis-poor reviews they receive.
I agree with Brozee the Pilots are expensive for this tire size. I am a young guy so I am a bit precise when it comes to getting the best tires for my cars. I have the Michelin Pilot Exaltos on my BMW 335xi and I also had the Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my Lexus GS and they all do well in the snow and last a long time. I tried the Pilot Sport A/S (but older version and not the new plus one and it was noisy and wore out very fast). I will decide between the new Pilot Sport Plus or the new Bridgestones. Both brands made true well rounded tires that road force balance excellently without any vibrations. I am unsure about the Kumhos though but thanks for the suggestion Brozee.

Last edited by Baloo588; 03-13-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Depends ultimately on what you are looking for in the tire. If you are looking for a sportier tire go with the Michelins. If you are looking for a better and cheaper one go with the Kuhmo tires; those might be the ones I will be getting next depending on how the continentals turn out.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Brozee,

I remember you said you work in Bloomfield Hills and I mentioned to you that I live in Bloomfield Hills. How do you like the Pilot Sport A/S plus? Please let me know why you won't go for them again other than pricing? Hows the A8 treating you? I have 170k miles and finally got the upper control arm bushings replaced which solved my vibration on highways. I will be going back to Auto Europe to get my winter sets swapped out for the 19 inch turbines. I did visit Steve Auto Europe and they have been very nice to me for the oil change but I find it far out of my way.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position??