A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey there man!
Yeap, I'm still working in BH. The A8 has been treating me very well as of late; besides at the pump that is . No real issues here with mine besides a drone noise coming from what I think is the rear wheel bearings, but no big issue. The Pilot Sport A/S + were a great tire, but very quickly they wore down as they are a softer tire. The outsides of the tire wore down a bit faster than the middle of the tire, even with the correct tire pressure as well as upping the pressure. The tires only lasted about 30k which I guess is normal for them, but I've heard that's on a good day. They were good but wore much too quickly. I am loving my new Continental DWS' though, so far very even wear, and they have a higher tread rating then the Pilot Sport A/S while providing a longer life.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey,

I also had that droning sound last year!! It was definitely the wheel bearing! It got so noisy and made a woo woo sound and then as I picked up speed it howled so badly. Better do it soon before it seizes up and destroys the hub. As for the DWS, nice to hear that you are enjoying them. Yes they do have a phenomenal tread warranty. As for the wearing out of the center ribs, I realize that the rear tire pressure on my A8L with 19 inch the pressure should be 33 psi and not 36 psi cold as on the door still. The manual told me 36/33 F/R and I adjusted it and the wear has been extended to 40k plus miles on my tires now. Just wanted to let you know. The rears always wear a bit faster than front because of this. Now it doesn't. The DWS do not come in the 19 inch 255/40/19 size so i am going to order the Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS tires next week.

Last edited by Baloo588; 03-14-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Was it both rear wheels? It gets louder with speed and sounds like a humming/drone noise. How much was it to fix/ where did you go?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It was the right rear wheel bearing only. I went to Auto Europe and they did a great job on it for less than 300 dollars parts/labor if I recall. Call them and refer to Herrick Steves or Tom.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hi Brozee,

We should do a meet in Bloomfield Hills or nearby with other people if possible. It will be fun! Not sure how to arrange this though. Let me know what you think?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah man, msg me your number and e-mail we can set something up
Old 04-07-2012, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update,

Excellent tires!! Very smooth and quiet on the highway. Great handling feel while keeping the ride comfortable in all modes. The tires do well over bumps and potholes. The handling is firmed up a bit and the car stays in the lanes with no wandering. I highly recommend these tires over the DWS and Pilot Sport A/S for this car in the 19 inch wheel size.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boz151
I just recently put the RE960AS Pole Positions on my 2004 A8L. I like them so far. They have been on the car for around 6 weeks. Grip is good in all weather so far, although we haven't had any snow since I had them mounted here in NJ. The tread wear warranty can't be beat at 60,000 miles and tire rack has them in the 19" (or did have them) as a closeout so they were by far the cheapest tire I considered ($212/tire I think).
i just bought a set of 4 pole positions- i notice the tire noise at speeds around 45mph-80mph. wondering if this is normal for this tire, or should I call tire rack and send the tires back. I am in the car for 2+ hours per day. what do you think?
Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'd send them back if it happens all the time. Record a video if you could. I experience tire noise whether it is normal or not, I had the same noise on my Michelin pilot sports, but I only notice the noise when driving on newer paved blacktop highways, not the standard concrete ones.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currently have very noisy Perelli P6 Tires

My 2008 Audi needs new tires. They current have The Perelli P6 Four Seasons tires and they in my opinion didn't wear well. They were new tires on the car when I purchased it from the dealer. (Dealer installed them at 20,000 miles) I have put about 31000 miles on them. I guess that is the life of this tire but they are crap in my opinion and very noisy. I have never had a tire this noisy. But reading here on the board helps me to know its not just my imagination (the noise).

What would a good replacement tire be? I have ordered new TPMS monitors so now all I have to do is pick a tire.

I have reay about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S
The Conti DWS and the Bridgestone Turanza W/Serenity Plus

any opinions or advice?

Originally Posted by Brozee
I'd send them back if it happens all the time. Record a video if you could. I experience tire noise whether it is normal or not, I had the same noise on my Michelin pilot sports, but I only notice the noise when driving on newer paved blacktop highways, not the standard concrete ones.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position??