A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess nobody has any tire advice
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Nor really advice but might help. I am very satisfied with DW's, but they are not DWS's. Have two close friends who run DWS's and they are very satisfied too. So, generally, lots of satisfaction with Continental's. I also have Michelin all seasons. Using them as winter tires. Vancouver winter. They are good too.

You didn't say what size of wheels you are running. As far as I remember they do not make DWS in 255/40x19.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

255-40-19 tires

Originally Posted by mishar
Nor really advice but might help. I am very satisfied with DW's, but they are not DWS's. Have two close friends who run DWS's and they are very satisfied too. So, generally, lots of satisfaction with Continental's. I also have Michelin all seasons. Using them as winter tires. Vancouver winter. They are good too.

You didn't say what size of wheels you are running. As far as I remember they do not make DWS in 255/40x19.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kcmover

The Conti DWS and the Bridgestone Turanza W/Serenity Plus

any opinions or advice?
I'll soon be replacing the tires on my '10 A6. Was considering the DWS, Conti Pure Contacts (top-rated in recent Consumer Reports study) and the Turanzas (recommended by my Audi service advisor). After reading the reviews and test reports on Tire Rack, I've decided on the DWS' which seem to provide the best blend of handling, tread life and value. The DWS' are considered ultra high performance A/S tires whereas the Pure Contacts and Turanza's are grand touring tires.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am leaning towards the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. it seems to have good specs and a longer life expectancy I will post how I like them. Hopefully to be installed Tuesday or Wed this week.

Originally Posted by audi40
I'll soon be replacing the tires on my '10 A6. Was considering the DWS, Conti Pure Contacts (top-rated in recent Consumer Reports study) and the Turanzas (recommended by my Audi service advisor). After reading the reviews and test reports on Tire Rack, I've decided on the DWS' which seem to provide the best blend of handling, tread life and value. The DWS' are considered ultra high performance A/S tires whereas the Pure Contacts and Turanza's are grand touring tires.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently wore out my Conti DWS and was about to pick up the Bridgestone 960AS, but ended up installing a new tire on the market - Toyo Proxes 4Plus. Very high tread rating like the Conti's. Has been great so far - very quiet. Will soon find out how they handle in snow..
Also, i'm selling a barely used set of Audi OEM Pirelli P Zeros summer (255 35 19) if anyone is interested.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Smooth riding tire Bridgestone Turanza W/Serenity Plus

Had the Bridgestone Turanza With Serenity PLUS installed yesterday at Tires Plus. I provided New TPMS sensors from a place in Florida called OE Wheels. The new sensors ran about $169.00 for the set. Figured while the wheels had the tires off it was time to install new sensors as the vehicle is a 2008. In and out of the shop in about two hours.

The new sensors went thru the learning mode and reset in about 10 mins.

The car rides like a new car. Very smooth ride with great handling. I had forgotten how nice the ride used to be before the Crappy Pirelli P6 tires wore out. The Pirelli P6 tires were so noisy and rough riding near the end of their life.

So we will see how the new tire wear. I will be taking a 500 mile road trip this weekend and it will be a good test for the new tires.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks like I will be in the market for tires. My wife took the A8 to Chicago this morning. Hit a pot hole on I94 that was so big it blew one of the tires. They are within a year of being replaced so I'll replace all four now. One of my sensors is out as well, so I have 5 on order from OEWheels.

Not a lot of options for all-season tires in the 255/40-19 size. The Turanza is the only well-rated Grand Touring option. In the High Performance category there is the Potenza, Pilot Sport, Yoko ADVAN and Kumho Ecsta. Both Bridgestones are well rated. Tirerack likes the Potenza Pole Position: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=165

Both Bridgestone's rate the quietest as well so looks like it will be the Turanza or Potenza.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Had the Potenza RE970AS Pole Position's installed. Have put several hundred miles on them and here are my thoughts:

- They do fine in snow. Have had a lot and no issues.

- I had Pirelli's before and the Pole Position's handle much better, but they also communicate the road imperfections much better as well. If you are looking for a smooth ride, the Serenty's would likely be a better choice.

- Had new TPMS sensors (from OEWheelsLLC) installed. Like kcmover, it takes 10-20 minutes for them to register, but they did and seem to work fine.

My dealer actually beat the local tire-place prices and has a Hunter road-force balancer and agreed to install the after-market sensors, so they got my business.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Forgot to comment on noise. The Pole Positions are quieter than the Pirelli's, but they do "hum" over 55 mph - The Pirelli's "whined".

If I had to do it again, I think I would opt for the Serenty's, but those those looking for an aggressive tire, I think the Pole's are a good choice.