A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the 2004 MMI be upgraded to eliminate the lawyer screen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the 2004 MMI be upgraded to eliminate the lawyer screen?

I've seen comments about upgrading later models to eliminate the lawyer screen, but not an '04 specifically.

I also have a problem in that the Sirius radio stations won't organize themselves numerically, even though that's how the setup is indicated. Is there a MMI update to solve this problem?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Can the 2004 MMI be upgraded to eliminate the lawyer screen?

Yes, you have to "say", I need the TSB fix that corrects the "surround sound option" from turning off after I set it and I turn the car off and it won't hold the setting. See similar post above this one.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

My 04 is in the shop being updated as I post this. I have the same issue with my XM and its my understanding that the update does fix that problem as well. I also understand the lawyer screen goes away.

I'll update you this evening.

By the way, I convinced the dealer to do the upgrade after complaining of the scrolling issue in radio stations. I really had experienced the problem, so I didn't even have to lie. Email me if you want the TSB - I have it as a .pdf.

lgball_at_yahoo_dot_com

Larry
Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: lawyer screen

Well, the MMI update for the TSB that was mentioned earlier does remove the lawyer screen at MMI startup but it has moved it to the Telephone and Navigation screens, so the first time you start to use those functions after starrting the car, you get the screens again. However, if you are just running to the store for some milk and bread, you are less likely to use those functions and so the overall experience is less cumbersome than having to respond every time the car is started.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you post the upgrade tsb number to eliminate the lawyer screen as well as the surround issue?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Links to the actual TSBs can be found here:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/c6a6/msgs/32910.phtml">TSBs Here</a></li></ul>
Old 06-07-2007, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ..and if voice commands are used, the "lawyer screen" ....

never rears its ugly rear....er, head.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Can the 2004 MMI be upgraded to eliminate the lawyer screen? - Extreme Disappointment

OK, so I picked my car up last night (out of gas but that's another story) and checked the version number in the display and it reads 0346.06.0.0. I'm thinking all is good, but when I start snooping around in the MMI menus, everything is exactly the same! The XM radio still sorts channels wrong, the telematics screens aren't updated and worst of all, the lawyer screen is still there! (I should call it a nag screen, since I am a lawyer, but oh well.)

Can anyone with an 04 that has been updated tell me whether this is the way its supposed to be? Did they screw up the update? Arrrrghhh.

As for the car being out of gas, I thought that was odd, since it had more than a quarter when I took it in. I checked and my car had been driven 43 miles while in the shop.GRRRRRRRRR.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good point! (I should use the voice commands more often)
Old 06-07-2007, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Can the 2004 MMI be upgraded to eliminate the lawyer screen? - Extreme Disappointment

Me thinks you didn't get the TSB upgrade for the problem you described of not being able to hold surround sound setting, it should read: SW3-HU 33.6.0 0632

What you posted is my previous SW level.

I wonder though, if this whole TSB issue related to MMI upgrade issues, is really related to the dealer or to Audi. I can't see a dealer wanting to waste a tech's time unless it's billable back to the MOTHER SHIP, AUDI AG. It's obvsiously, not like Microsoft where you go to a website and download a new level of software to fix bugs but I certainly think that we are not far away from this with satellites hitting our cars all the time. The problem lies in the way this stuff has to be updated via hard CD's/DVD's etc versus being web based, bla, bla., then there is the issue of what hardware (CD players) installed in these cars and which year they are installed and if that CD player can actually "read" the CD itself because it's not compatible.

Quick Reply: Can the 2004 MMI be upgraded to eliminate the lawyer screen?