A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you code out the "Passanger airbag off" warning light?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you code out the "Passanger airbag off" warning light?

Horribly bright and annoying during night driving.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd consider code 3M Electrical Tape.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by halik
Horribly bright and annoying during night driving.
What code are you getting since some can be an easy fix, rather than trying to code out an air bag. I don't think you can deactivate a certain air bag.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

He does not have a fault code. His vehicle displays "Passenger Airbag Off" on the dash near the hazard light switch whenever the passenger seat is empty. When someone sits there, a pressure sensor shuts the light off and the airbag is ready if a crash occurs. This feature in newer A8's saves the expense of wrecking the dashboard if the passenger airbag deploys.

Then again, if there is a crash making the driver's airbag deploy, the price of a new dash topper and airbag is the least of your worries.

I'd just cover it with electrical tape or remove the led.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts

No, can't just disable light via coding. Set up was more tamperproof===>tape
Old 02-24-2015, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be nice if there was a ROW option that would prevent the light from displaying but still allow air bag to deploy or not deploy given the correct front passenger situation. If tape is the work-around has anyone done this on the back side of the dash panel?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Not practical--basically tape goes on face or forget it

It's not practical to put it in back in some nice neat way. Any of us who have taken that trim piece out know it is ridiculously fragile and you fool with it as little as possible. Costs hundreds of dollars too if you look into it--just for the switch and light strip area. It is all an integrated part and IIRC uses LED's or similar illumination. It's not some old fashioned bulb and socket thing. You might be able to go in and cut a wire, but not documented and it is a safety system.

Nothing here unique to Audi's either. This set up has been required for many years now. It was actually an Audi where a small child literally got decapitated when an airbag blew in the front in a low speed parking lot incident with a child seat in it--along with various other models and other gruesome scenarios if you look into how the rules driving this set up came to be. Thus figure Audi were even more likely to set it up "by the book," make clear when the passenger airbag is on or off, and not make it easy to hack or end run.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-24-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 PM
mcs
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My A8 does not have this light at all.

It is blank. Perhaps you can look into getting a trim panel without the light. As far as I am aware, the airbag is still sensitive to occupants.

Mike
Old 02-24-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
He does not have a fault code. His vehicle displays "Passenger Airbag Off" on the dash near the hazard light switch whenever the passenger seat is empty. When someone sits there, a pressure sensor shuts the light off and the airbag is ready if a crash occurs. This feature in newer A8's saves the expense of wrecking the dashboard if the passenger airbag deploys.

Then again, if there is a crash making the driver's airbag deploy, the price of a new dash topper and airbag is the least of your worries.

I'd just cover it with electrical tape or remove the led.
Got it. Obviously I've never seen that light because I don't have that feature, thankfully.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a little annoying. I don't really notice that much anymore, but if I could get rid of it I would

Quick Reply: Can you code out the "Passanger airbag off" warning light?