A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car in suspension limp after failed vag lower. Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car in suspension limp after failed vag lower. Help!!!

I'm trying to lower my car with te vag com cable I just got and I can get it as far as te adaptation but when I go to number 4 it keeps telling me invalid, and when I try to get to number 5 to Dave it tells me error in red???

Anyone have any advice?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:07 PM
vmk
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JP19640_0
I'm trying to lower my car with te vag com cable I just got and I can get it as far as te adaptation but when I go to number 4 it keeps telling me invalid, and when I try to get to number 5 to Dave it tells me error in red???

Anyone have any advice?
Is it an actual Ross-Tech cable or a knock off?
Old 06-24-2011, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

A Ross tech cable.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Try these two things:

1. After starting adaptation, enter the value, hit test, and dont forget to hit save before going to the next channel. I don't remember seeing this step explicitly stated in the instructions. If you forget to save you can't go back a channel and if you mess up you have to start all over (possibly includes turning the car off and exiting Vag-com, see 2).

2. After a failed attempt, exit Vag-com, unplug cable (car end), and turn off your car, close the doors, and lock it. You may have to wait a few seconds as well before you start again. The two occasions I had problems with with Vac-com lowering, starting over like that resulted in a successful adaptation despite doing the exact same steps the try prior to turning the car of and exiting Vag-com. I don't think every step I stated is required but I haven't had time to pinpoint.

Good luck

Last edited by ModestW12; 06-24-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JP19640_0

Anyone have any advice?
Do as per instructions on Ros Tech web site. When it states Incorrect Value, which is ridiculous because you just measured it, you have to try with 1mm lower value, 2mm lower and so on until you get correct value. Could be that correct value is above measured, you have to find it. Don't bother measuring again, it has nothing to do with true value. Unfortunately you have to start each time from the beginning (ridiculous again ). No need to shut down or unplug anything. Just punch in security code and start from the beginning. Actually you are lucky. It could started from the first wheel.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok cool I'll give it a try tomorrow. So i am assuming that both the front left and right numbers need to be the same?

Same goes for the rear left and right?

Say the number is 400 they would have to match left and right?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Measure all four again. I believe they will be same as before, so use same numbers for the first three and than chase that fourth. Should be close to measured value but I couldn't find any rule. This procedure is not good.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it in small increments then check it before moving on to the next wheel. Also you will have to increase the factory number to lower the car not decrease the value.I believe 416 front and 398 are the factory settings. So you will have to go through it a couple times till you get to 435 or so front and 410-420 rear or however far you want it lowered. I just did mine with the vag com tool and if you do too high of increments you will get the error. I was able to go about 8mm at a time without error.

Last edited by A8nightmare; 06-25-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok so I'm thinking of doing a 25 mill drop all around (not sure if it will take though)
The measurement numbers I am entering don't need to be the same?
I'm just trying to understand how this works.
Will the car not be lower or higher on one side if that's the case?
Or will it adjust to the amount I want to drop it evenly all around?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A8nightmare
Do it in small increments then check it before moving on to the next wheel. Also you will have to increase the factory number to lower the car not decrease the value.I believe 416 front and 398 are the factory settings. So you will have to go through it a couple times till you get to 435 or so front and 410-420 rear or however far you want it lowered. I just did mine with the vag com tool and if you do too high of increments you will get the error. I was able to go about 8mm at a time without error.
That is not procedure recommended by Ros-Tech. That is actually cheating the car that it is higher than it is. If that works why don't you explain it a bit more. What with Coding numbers, for example. What do you mean with "check it before moving to the next wheel"? I red about this way of lowering, but it was on Pheaton. I think that guy said there that it won't work on A8.

Quick Reply: Car in suspension limp after failed vag lower. Help!!!