A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Transmission Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

M3 is a MT as well, big difference. If you want to do it right, at least the first time you flush, change the filter as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by carterleeds
and what do you mean by properly?
Pan has to go down (24 bolts), cross member underneath it too and there is a certain procedure of topping it properly (not a rocket science but a bit time consuming).
Old 12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bludy hell 6 litres for gearbox oil my polos and mini and even the m3 only took like 2 litres max lol.

just had a quick look on ebay its blooming expensive for that oil, £25 a litre its more expensivve then engine oil, and i used millers oil which is like crytaal for engines lol. the filters and gasket are cheap enough. but the oil bludy hell lol.

and thanks mishar, basically because i deal with donkeys at my local garage i need to steer them in the right direction. dont get me wrong there good, but these cars are in another league of their own. so a heads up is great, and i do apreciate it.

also with the topping up procdure cud u give me any info on that please?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not 6 but 10 liters, but you can change only 6. The rest stays in the torque converter. Try here for ATF. For the procedure you have to search forum a bit. I don't remember it precisely.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Lol I still don't know why your comparing the MTF fluid to ATF? There is a huge difference in how much fluid each requires.

And mishar is right, the only time all the fluid is flushed is when you switch types like I did in my A8, from gold to blue fluid. So quite a lot of fluid to replace on that change.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual transmissions and automatic transaxles have absolutely nothing in common, so I'm not sure why you're comparing them?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

oh im not comparing them at all because well obvs there different. this is my first auto so did not realise they require so much oil.

its like engine oil i normally deal with your 1.6 1.9 2.0 2.8 3.2 and now my first v8 4.2 and the oil difference is not that different maybe 1 litre more or so from the 3.2, butif you can understand what im trying to say, i did not expect such a HUGE difference in quantities.

also just incase because i will be getting the oil from a shop, this is the only oil i should accept zf lifeguard 6 gold? baring in mind im in the uk, i believe US sometimes have different makes if not audi branded.

btw i do apologise if im seem ignorant but its my first ever proper car and its very complicated expecially when you live in a area where no one knows about these cars, and i dont want anyone and everyone to touch it, so i need to ask questions reagrdless of how stupid they may seem to you.

and i do apreciate all the help. johhny has helped me loads and because of him my mmi is working again and im in the process of installing av cables.

so yeh thanks again.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

All automatic gearboxes require more oil, usually called ATF. Unlike manual transmission it is not there just for lubrication. It is hydraulic fluid too, powering clutches, brakes and most of all torque converter, which is a separate transmission for itself.

No need for apologizing. This forum is about sharing knowledge. By the way there are way less stupid questions than stupid answers.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Audi doesn't recommend transmission fluid change?"

really? do you know why? because they want your tranny to die so you can spend $5k on a new one, aka rebuilt one.

i change tranny fluid on both of my A8's every 40k and they run perfectly.

A8nightmare, i see you are from WI, i am in MN.
let me know if you want to do this.

it cost about $220 for parts (6 quarts of fluid, pan gasket and a filter)
and about 2 hours of work to do it.
it depends how many miles you have on, but after about 60k your tranny fluid will be black, hopefully without any metal sediments on the magnets,
and the fluid should be almost see-through.

you do the math!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
All automatic gearboxes require more oil, usually called ATF. Unlike manual transmission it is not there just for lubrication. It is hydraulic fluid too, powering clutches, brakes and most of all torque converter, which is a separate transmission for itself.

No need for apologizing. This forum is about sharing knowledge. By the way there are way less stupid questions than stupid answers.
oh yeh that makes total sence and explains all the oil needed. you learn something new everyday lol im only 25 so yeh still got loads to learn lol

haha well i havnt had any stupid answers as yet, maybe confusing ones but yeh not yet lol

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Oil?