A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Transmission Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Fluid filling procedure.

Hi Brozee!

I´ve changed the transmission fluid on my previous S8 D2 and followed the procedure from Audipages. When filling I went through the gears P - R- N- D - 4 - 3- 2 back and forth a couple of times until the temp were about right. Should I do the same with my A8 D3 with tiptronic, but only go from R to D back and forth?

Thanks!

//Joey
Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tranny fluid fill procedure

Originally Posted by Brozee
I had it done on my A8, but only because I was experiencing an issue where I felt a small shudder and heard a small noise when slamming on the gas. If you have no problems then don't change it; it's not worth the cost. My fluid at 80k still looked very clean, I just needed the new fluid to fix the issue. So don't bother if your car is okay.
Hi Brozee!

I´ve changed the transmission fluid on my previous S8 D2 and followed the procedure from Audipages. When filling I went through the gears P - R- N- D - 4 - 3- 2 back and forth a couple of times until the temp was about right. Should I do the same with my A8 D3 with tiptronic, but only go from R to D back and forth?

Thanks!

//Joey
Old 10-18-2013, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A200_10V
Hi Brozee!

I´ve changed the transmission fluid on my previous S8 D2 and followed the procedure from Audipages. When filling I went through the gears P - R- N- D - 4 - 3- 2 back and forth a couple of times until the temp were about right. Should I do the same with my A8 D3 with tiptronic, but only go from R to D back and forth?

Thanks!

//Joey
Yes. It doesn't do anything on the non-tip cars to go from D to 4 to 3 or whatever, as you don't actually engage those gears. In those cars, D is the same as 2 in terms of the procedure.

On the D3, you just cycle between forward and reverse and neutral.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

Anyone know if it's possible to do a tranny oil exchange via the oil cooler lines? I'm sure I read somewhere that the oil cooler is integrated into the tranny itself so has coolant water lines running to it instead.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Anyone know if it's possible to do a tranny oil exchange via the oil cooler lines? I'm sure I read somewhere that the oil cooler is integrated into the tranny itself so has coolant water lines running to it instead.
Hypothetically possible, but I wouldn't try it. Have been advised against this by every ZF engineer I've ever spoken to.

It's a pain, and a waste of fluid (if doing multiple drain/fills to fully exchange all fluid), but that's what they recommend.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hilden
Always a debate if good or not but check this thread and try searching for more posts on the subject and you might find more info

Transmission Fluid - AudiWorld Forums

I know Audi will tell you it's a waste but my thinking it that it can't be negative at least, assuming that it's properly done. I had it done on my C5 S6 but skipped on the A8 so far.

I guess though it's the same procedure as on the D2 so you need to have a certain temp on the oil etc so it takes some fiddling to get everything out and to ensure you get the correct level when filling new oil.
I'm a new audi owner myself, but I do and would love to ask.i jus finished changing my radiator and some tranny oil came out on one of the pipe, do I jus fill more tranny oil, or should I just leave it as is? Also since I changed it I haven't drive it yet because I don't know if I should add more tranny oil or not..
Please help..
Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

If you changed your radiator and some transmission fluid came out of a pipe going to the radiator; you are either on the wrong forum or you have one messed-up car.

Replace the car immediately if this is a North American D3.

Actually, list where you are in case you have a European vehicle with a V-6 or a Diesel engine which is not found in North America. as I am only familiar with North American cars.

Before replying, read the "PLEASE READ THIS" sticky post at the top of the D3 thread and follow what it says. We'll all be glad you did. You will too.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a picture of my fluid. 105,000 miles. It was not good and I will be going back a third time to flush it out more.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...fluid-2855999/
Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Not sure where the pic is in the link...

I couldn't find the pic. FWIW on mine, when I did the drain for the third time--meaning it was changed twice by then--that's when I saw more clearly my fluid color (blue in my case). Math wise you are at a 75 or 80% cumulative change at that point depending on pan drop or not, thoroughness of drain, etc. Following third drain when I was doing final top up checking, it was now very much the original/new color. By then it is reaching mid 80's to 90% change cumulatively. My instinct IF it is still same fluid type and you want it reasonably clean, two with a pan drop might still be a decent tradeoff of cost vs. hassle vs. benefit. Probably the full three cycles without pan drops given the extra liter + staying behind each time w/ pan and filtering such w/ out a drop. Unusually mine was a couple of drops plus the drains because I went in after first round to pull the valve body to get at seal and solenoids. All fixed and my fluid and third filter was uber clean by end... Also how I came to know better the drain delta depending on whether the pan was pulled or not as I tallied up the fluid for recycling on new bottle use as I went.

Originally Posted by that_tg
Here is a picture of my fluid. 105,000 miles. It was not good and I will be going back a third time to flush it out more.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...fluid-2855999/

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-29-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

After 105,000 miles! If ZF recommends changing the fluid at 80,000 I would change it before that. Why wait to find you have torched the transmission.
The fluid change is not difficult and not expensive. Ok, pumping the fluid in when the car is running is not fun, when the car is on jack stands. I bought an electric fluid pump from Northern Tool for the next time.

I dropped the pan and replaced the filter. I had bought a new gasket for the pan but it had a nice metal gasket (looked factory) so I just reused the metal one. That was 30,000 miles ago with no leaks.

Quick Reply: Changing Transmission Oil?