A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CNG conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tax on electric vehicles

Originally Posted by mishar
It is pretty expensive conversion and it is just matter of time when converted vehicles will be charged additional taxes (ones we are paying included in the gas price). Same will happen with electrical vehicles once they become common.
I believe that the state of Washington is already moving forward on taxing electric vehicles. The reasoning behind it is that gas taxes fund road maintenance, and since electric vehicles use the road, they should also pay for their maintenance.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by subit0
since electric vehicles use the road, they should also pay for their maintenance.
So should bicycles - along with licensing, insurance and inspections.
Especially with the proliferation of DOT painted lanes in most cities and towns.
But I digress, as we're straying dangerously close to political hot buttons and this is a car forum.

Back to OP - my concern about being "under the radar" is what happens at inspection time.
In NC older vehicles get safety only inspections but they poke around far more than necessary.
On full inspection vehicles it's like an autopsy without the benefit of death...

This was discussed on another forum I used to belong to and their was some concern about federal fines and possible jail time.
The poster did not have any supporting evidence but two agencies I prefer not to have interested in me are EPA and IRS

So I would say proceed with extreme caution until there are licensed [read taxed] aftermarket kits available.
I really like the idea and wouldn't mind having an older vehicle with the conversion myself.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

CNG is popular in Iran. I have seen people compress the gas overnight by running it through freezers. I mean plumb the gas into the inlet on the compressor, it even makes the freezer work. Usually in the middle of nowhere. No idea how safe it would be and would not recommend it. Maybe worth a google if you are away from neighbours.

Last edited by snapdragon; 05-21-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Haha I wasn't planning to use an old freezer for a compressor, as there are properly designed systems for that

My concern is the same as Jake's: I'd prefer to have Federal agencies NOT interested in my personal life.

In CO, as long as you registered it outside of the Denver metro, there are no inspections, but it still raises the issue of what happens if you get involved in a traffic accident.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subit0
I believe that the state of Washington is already moving forward on taxing electric vehicles...
Not yet. It's still being discussed/debated.

And, there's still the $7500 one-time tax write-off for purchasing one of those lovely little battery packs on wheels.

My beloved state is having to rethink its revenue generation methods.