A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirming AMI self install is quite possible--succeeded today on first try. Lots of info inside...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to do this install as well, but I am nervous about the MMI version being correct and updated, so on. could you please elaborate regarding this.
thanks
Old 06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer connection cable?

I have been wanting to do this, but the practicality of reaching over to open the glove box, plug in my iphone and then have to do it all over again each time I get in and out of the car seems impractical in the long run. Great in the beginning, but once the novelty wears off, it may be frustrating. Anyone have an thoughts on this? Is there a longer cable that I could run from the AMI interface to the tray under the armrest or actually into the armrest?
Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Yes, I have thoughts...lose the iPhone...

for this app. You can buy a throw away used iPod for next to nothing, or get it off your kid or someone trading up. Just put your music on there and make it a dedicated slave unit. Cost is insignificant with a used/throw away type unit compared to the AMI cost. iTunes supports multiple units per user so it's transparent as far as your song collection. I also need over 20 gigs for my music (at the max bit rate recording), so only the new 3Gs at 32G could even deal with that among all the iPhones.

For what it's worth, I did recently go to a cast off 32G iTouch. The flash is faster than the hard drive, at least compared to the prior 40gig 3d gen. iPod throw away I was using.

Agreed iPhone in/out all the time is more hassle, hence my approach (I use a Motorola phone actually still). Also, if you want to use the phone keypad (like for conf. calls, voicemail, etc.) in hands free bluetooth, I don't think a plugged in iPhone set up makes much sense in terms of real world usability, and the posts seem to say the phone ring on an iPhone plugged into AMI gets out of hand/too loud.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
You can buy a throw away used iPod for next to nothing, or get it off your kid or someone trading up. Just put your music on there and make it a dedicated slave unit. Cost is insignificant with a used/throw away type unit compared to the AMI cost.
Along this same vein, it's also possible to connect a USB thumb drive to the AMI instead of an iPod. Prices for comparably sized USB thumb drives run about 1/4 the price of an iPod, so it's actually quite a cheap solution.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've been searching the forums and internet for a place that I can purchase the "4F0 051 592 A" retrofit kit. I have the AMI interface and iPod cable, all I need now is the optical/power cables. If anyone knows a place I can order this (other than the dealership for $205) I would GREATLY appreciate the info. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default The version info needed for AMI

It is around the Board here and there, but as I recall you will want to get to at least 3360 in MMI (aka 33.60).

To get to 3360, per Audi's instructions (see the link below in my autosig where it says "helpful cross reference" and go to the MMI ones) you need at least a Version 5 (i.e. 2005 model year) Nav disk. Nav disks are different than MMI updates. Nav disks come from Navteq (when new). Prior year ones (i.e. pre Version 9 or at most 8) are available cheaper on ebay; Version 7 was a lemon and was discontinued, so better to go with version 6 or even version 5 if you are finding older ones.

You do not need 4140 (aka 41.40) to do MMI, though it does get you a track specific display while using an iPod. The big update for bugs and MMI stability was really 3360. BUT, you MUST be at 3360 if you want to upgrade to 4140 (or beyond). Thus if you have anything from 2750 or lower, you have to go through 3360 first. If you do not, you will likely DESTROY the MMI internally and need a new controller box, per two sorry incidents posted a a year or two ago now--a $2,000 mistake. Audi's instructions make clear you need 3360 to do a 4140 update, but they don't highlight the really bad consequences of trying to short cut it.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I found a solution to the issue of the ipod/iphone being stuck all the way on the other side of the car. A company named cable jive will make an extension cable for the ipod/iphone to an length. This will allow me to do the AMI install, confirm it works and then route a cable through the center console and finally I plan to have the connection end located in the drivers side arm rest. I think this solution would work nicely. Here's a link to a review of the cable.

http://www.macworld.com/product/ipod/675/detail.html

Here's the link to the company website.

http://cablejive.com/custom-dock-extender-cable

If I install this will an audi dealer help me code it once it's installed or do I need to locate someone who has a VAG?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Where can I get the loop connector from for the AMI from. I want to keep the CD player and hook up the AMI. That is the only peice I am missing.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

FWIW I just got the Bluetooth Music Adapter for the AMI and it connects to my iPhone automatically every time I get in the car. It's great. It picks up wherever I left off with the ipod and also allows me to stream from other music apps which can't be done with the iPod adapter.

See my other posts about it in a later thread.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My contributions to MP4.2+6.0's definitive AMI self install thread!

I'd like to repost into this thread since this is where I first found out that you can self install AMI without removing the glove box.

I bought an AMI kit ("4E0 057 785 C" version) from a UK eBay merchant. It arrived 1 day after shipping, total cost to me $522.75 USD!!!

Never having done this before, it took me about 30 minutes. I did it without having instructions though I did research the self install extensively prior to doing so. The 30 minutes included moving the changer to the right side and inserting the AMI on the left. I do want to point out that my install seemed to be easier than ones I've read about for two reasons. One, I didn't have to change or enable anything with VCDS (Maybe because my W12 had 3360 MMI s/w version from the get go?). And two, the kit came with a MOST/fiber optic splitter that did not require manipulating the existing MOST/fiber optic connection. The MOST splitter just plugged right into the MOST connector that was originally plugged into the CD changer. If I had to do it again, 5 to 10 minutes tops with the kit I got.

Besides the AMI module and the MOST splitter, my kit came with a power splitter, an iPod AMI cable, and the CD changer pull out tools.

Pulling the changer out with the tools was a snap; insert the tool and push them in until you hear the clicks on each side, then pull out. It came out almost effortlessly. Both the MOST connection and the power connections had a tab that you pushed in to release them. The felt lined filler shelf that was on the right of the CD changer popped out by reaching behind it with my left hand and using a finger on my right hand through the hole in the back of the box and pulling with a light to moderate force.

After looking in there to see where best to route the power and MOST splitter cabling, I went ahead and reinstalled the CD changer on the right side first, pushing it in little by little as I routed the excess MOST and power cabling to a cavity behind the left side of the AMI/CD Changer bays. Finally, I connected both splitter ends to the AMI unit and pushed it back, checking with a flashlight at the last opportunity to see back there and then just pushed it in until it snapped into place.

Next I turned on the MMI by pressing down on the volume dial (the car was off the whole time), it seemed to do a reboot and 10 seconds later I had a fully operational AMI and CD MP3 Changer.

Quick Reply: Confirming AMI self install is quite possible--succeeded today on first try. Lots of info inside...