A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confirming AMI self install is quite possible--succeeded today on first try. Lots of info inside...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Successfully installed AMI version 4E0 057 785 F today in my 2004 D3 A8L.

Ordered from the UK, it came with CD changer removal tools as well as power cable splitter and fiber optic splitter.

Had a very hard time removing the Storage compartment for CD on the right side in the glove box. Initially tried to push it out several times, no go. Inspected the surround area and thought I found a screw that holds it in place. After I removed all screws (which is a huge hassle in the tight place) it was clear that they were not holding the compartment in place. Getting frustrated, I tried to push it out again, this time very firmly and it finally released. So for everybody else going through that problem, you simply need to push the compartment out. Took me over 2 hours just on that part.

Everything afterwards was piece of cake. Connected both splitters (power & data) to CD changer and AMI and snapped back in their spots.

Since I was already on 4610, AMI immediately appeared in the menu CD > SOURCE.

By the way - FYI:
Once you connect the power splitter and the data splitter you will have 4 connections available (2 power and 2 data). If you just connect the CD changer (or just the AMI) and leave 2 connectors unconnected the MMI will not work. I accidentally hit a button on the CD changer (with AMI not connected to splitter) which started the MMI and it tried to initialize with really weird noises coming from the speakers and the Nav unit in the trunk and then died. Once all 4 connectors are connected, the MMI starts up with no problems.

- M
Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HarrySK
MP4.2+6.0, I'm contemplating this install and was interested in the actual instructions/box/etc. that came with your unit - if you have no further need for them, I'd be interested. Please let me know. I tried to email, but the link isn't there.

Regards,
-Harry
Thanks MP

Well done on the procedure.
Like Maxster, I am looking at Dension 500 vs AMi retrofit.
Would you share what materials cost to do the AMI?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also interested in the price comparison between the Dension and Audi AMI. In looking at Ebay, a potential 3rd option is out there. Has anyone used or heard of VNS media?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Music-I...item256bc29a04
Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am going to order the VNS system today. Will advise when installed and post
results. I have emailed the vendor (in Poland) and given him info on my system
and SW version. He says it will work.. Looks like it's Ipod only, but thats fine.

bbb

Originally Posted by jmhjgh
I am also interested in the price comparison between the Dension and Audi AMI. In looking at Ebay, a potential 3rd option is out there. Has anyone used or heard of VNS media?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Music-I...item256bc29a04
Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Side note you can install AMI and not use the CD-Changer and leave it in the cavity not powered up. Thats what I did, I didn't feel the $100 they wanted for the retrofit cable was worth it. Granted I can only use the AMI or CD-Changer but not at the same time, I can swap them in 5 minutes and to be honest since I installed the AMI back in 2008 I haven't really looked back or missed my CD-Changer.

It also cuts your swap/upgrade time to about 5 minutes. Pop out the felt cavity pop out the cd changer disconnect the cables plug them into the AMI put everything back and enjoy.

Only time you need the CD-Changer is for MMI updates.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ +1. I think mines was installed in 09. We have a CD changer? LOL. Dont ever think about the CD changer.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Would like to confirm this as well. Great success (lol; Borat...) on installing the AMI unit myself. Biggest pain was just removing the existing CD player to shift it to the right side and gain access to the cables in the back of the CD player. With a bit of a push from my right hand pushing the backside to the CD player it came out very easy. Installed the two splitters, put the CD player in the right side, booted the MMI after restarting it and it works flawless. Honestly it took maybe 5 minutes. Before doing this I thought there would be cables everywhere and I would get lost but its just two completely different cables that need to have the splitter put on them which is just plug and play and your done. Honestly so so easy. If you can add a splitter to a coax cable you can do this job.

P.S. I am using an old iPod video which the click wheel has died, but the iPod still works perfect in the AMI and syncs to my computer. The iPod does turn off after a few minutes after leaving the car, even though it is charging once you first turn it off.

I can also confirm that on the newest iPod/iPhone software I not only can use the iPod functions, but also use Pandora, Youtube, any app that plays music/Video and sound comes through the AMI and plays through the speakers. Very happy with this, which means I won't need a 3.5mm AMI cable to do these things.

Last edited by Brozee; 05-09-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi all,

just to confirm i can install an AMI without having to keep the cd changer?

thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carterleeds
hi all,

thanks in advance.
Yes, but why not keep both?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carterleeds
hi all,

thanks in advance.
Thats what I did, but that was cause I didnt want to wait for the splitter. I think I will order it now, even though I havent even thought about the CD changer since I hooked up the AMI.

Quick Reply: Confirming AMI self install is quite possible--succeeded today on first try. Lots of info inside...