A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering an A8 questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering an A8 questions

Used to have an A6 4.2 few yrs back now looking for an A8. What are some of the things I should look for when looking at these cars? I don't want to make a big mistake and buy a money pit, do these cars require costly maintenance compared to the A6? Found a decent 04 with 54k for about $18 that I was strongly considering, but would like to educate myself more about these cars. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Read prior archives is best advice, and what I did

You may get snippets here and there as replies, and questions similar to this have been asked and answered in various ways many times over. If you just start reading the pages from current backwards in time for the obvious headlines, you will know the car pretty well. Did it myself when I moved from my C5 A6 to the D3.

Also note many posters now are second owners; posters a few years ago and earlier were much more first time owners. D3 board is low volume compared to others (including the C5 board when it was at its prime), so going back in time doesn't take that long.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, that is what I have found, not nearly as much info here as compared to the A6 C5 board. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mike -

If you are concerned with, for lack of a better term - self warranting - your purchase, I would highly recommend buying a CPO car from a dealer AND adding on any extension thereafter that you can get. Take extreme care in seeing that the car was well maintained and I know this sounds weird... but try to get a feel for whether the car was appreciated by it's previous owner. I think they are wonderful machines, but they cannot be neglected. I am in the middle of wishing I could start my search over. I was a little too hasty with my purchase and fell too hard for a perfect color and the 19 inch wheels. I got a little too cocky with all of the cars I've purchased and got lazy on the pre-purchase exercises that would have made my life easier down the road. (Maybe this current car just needed someone like me to make it all right? )

At this point, with all of the technology in these machines, I will next time pay a premium for a dealer certified machine.

KAS
Old 05-17-2010, 11:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why, what type of issues did you have with yours and what was mileage when you got it?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mike141
Why, what type of issues did you have with yours and what was mileage when you got it?
I bought the car with 71k miles and have had a host of leaking issues from drive related components. (transmission and differentials) The largest concern at present is a whine from what we believe is the final drive. (see thread about trans whine)

I knew buying the car I'd have assorted repairs of CVs and control arm bushings. The car has also had a number of trim related issues that are just annoying from a quality standpoint when compared to earlier Audis such as a 01' A8 and '00 S4. I am starting to wonder about a.) what beating the 19 inch wheels inflict on the poor roads in the NE and b.) the air suspension quality. I now believe that a standard damper / spring set up is of overall, a higher quality and provides a better and more complaint ride. (Obviously IMHO)

I've had a lot of cars and this one feels like one that will spend significant time in a shop under repair. I also, to be fair, feel my car was somewhat abused as compared to the norm.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I love my A8 BUT!

I will surely sell it in 5 years when the warranty ends.

I bought my 07 with 32K miles and so far:

1. Voice recognition system failed.
2. Driver's door closer failed.
3. Trunk auto open failed.
4. Front air dam came loose.
5. Driver's seat control button broke.
6. 8 coil packs replaces (recall)

Factory warranty covered it all. Would have been over $4,000 otherwise.

My factory warranty ends in December 2010, then the Platinum exclusionary warranty from Fidelity begins until Dec 2015.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you the type that believes in preventative maintenance?
Do you own a VAG-COM?
Are you willing to put up with misc. $1000+ repairs?
Do you know a good independent mechanic?

If yes, then great an A8 may be for you. However if you are expecting to run the A8 like a Honda then look elsewhere. The A8 is one of the most complex autos on the road. The great thing about the A8 is its features and engineering, and the wost thing about the A8 is its features and engineering.

In my opinion, bodywork, drive line, and suspension can easily be the coup de grace on the A8.

A popular magazine in 1999 ranked the A8 as one of the safest sedans, and actuaries rank it as 5 to 8X more expensive to fix than the average sedan.

example... currently I need a new lower engine mount:

engine mount ~$350 per, might as well replace them both while I'm in there and it costs ~$700 in labor to get them replaced.

I'll wager that in the average toyota one would never change the engine mount, and would not know it needed replacement unless it was felt knocking on the stamped spot-welded unibody.

I love my A8 ... I wish I could afford to repair more of them
Old 05-18-2010, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default There will be few old A8's in great condition.

Sadly, I see the A8 going the way of the Porsche 928. In later years, there will be tons of them with lots of problems for cheep because owners didn't keep up with maintenance and repairs. And, cost to repair these vehicles will greatly exceed their value.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default According to the automotive gods at Consumer Reports and True Delta.....

the 2006+ A8 and A8L 4.2, 2007+ A8L W12 and S8 are substantially more reliable (and very reliable overall) than the 2004 A8L 4.2, 2005 A8 and A8L 4.2, 2005 A8L W12 and 2006 A8L W12.

Don't let a few disgruntled owners (who got lemons, have incompetent dealers or both of the above which is painfully obvious, FWIW) of the 2006+ A8 and A8L 4.2, 2007+ A8L W12 and S8 on any Audi message boards (who make up for a measly .25% of Audi owners worldwide) who had problems (mostly North American owners; Audi and their dealer networks and importers are still much better overseas than in North America where Audi and their dealer networks and importers have, in fact improved significantly) with these usually good Audi models and model years discourage from buying these usually good Audi models and model years certified pre owned or used.

However, stay away from the 2004 A8L 4.2, 2005 A8 and A8L 4.2, 2005 A8L W12 and 2006 A8L W12 as these Audi models truly are dreadfully unreliable.

FWIW, Audi owners that reply to CR's and TD's surveys make up for a far greater percentage of Audi owners worldwide than Audi owners on all of the Audi message boards. If you want to know what kind of dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service to typically expect from all vehicle brands (not just Audi) and vehicle corporations (not just the Volkswagen/Audi Group, their models and their dealer networks and importers, CR and TD are worlds more reliable sources than message boards for all vehicles (not just Audis).

Apparently, I can not stress all of the above enough because of the few disgruntled owners on the Audi message boards (who, again, got lemons, have incompetent dealers or both of the above which is painfully obvious, FWIW) who own any of the Audi models and model years that are generally good that these few disgruntled owners do and did, in fact, have problems with.

Quick Reply: Considering an A8 questions