A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant found in engine oil!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm sorry to say but you're another case of having operator errors on your car. You're just unlucky. Just like I said, the less times you have something done to your car, the longer it will last because the less chance you have your car screwed up by people's errors. I'm sure people here will detest what I said, but then again, it's your car, do as you please. I don't touch my car except oil changes once a year, I don't flush, don't do anything as long as it runs fine. I don't use VCDS to scan anything while it starts up and drives fine.
Another suggestion for people who can't work on cars, if you can't afford going to the dealership, don't own expensive cars. To me, dealers have reputation to uphold, not Indies...
It doesn't matter what makes you move to, if it's expensive when new, their Indies will make mistakes and you'll be in the same boat as you are now. Remember if it works, don't fix it. Learn to check oil, coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid... use Mobil 1 so you don't have to change often 15k miles. I never feel sorry for people who have a perfectly working car and take it to the shop to get butchered. What the heck is all these recommended services?
Cheers and good luck to your different car,
Louis
Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Hello Sully,
Please do not take offense to my comment, I feel you may just be to upset to be thinking clearly on the matter, you stated " I've been in a few sports car clubs, raced Z-cars in SCCA sanctioned events in the 70's and have personally done quite a bit of work on the cars I've owned", yet you think that the coolant mixing with the oil would turn it black, anyone who's ever been around engine building/racing know that mix gets you a coffee milkshake, next as Louis has stated and what I get out of your first post, is that this lose of coolant started after the replacement of the oil cooler, as in you had no coolant lose before, just oil sludge in the coolant tank, you have stated that you have no white smoke at exhaust, do you have any sweet smell at the exhaust, or most of all, did anyone bother to do a compression test, leak down test, or pull the plugs like MP stated to see any steam cleaned spark plugs, or how about what Karl has stated in his post # 18, I think it is as Louis has just stated "operator errors", meaning not you, but the person repairing (operating on) your vehicle, you seem to be taking what the shops whom are charging you a good amount of dollars words as the only conclusion, why not pull the plugs yourself to inspect, and while you are at it do a compression test on all cylinders, maybe pressurize the coolant system to see if you get coolant into any of the cylinders, of course while the spark plugs are out, and the use of a borescope.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 611 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
Hello Sully,
Please do not take offense to my comment, I feel you may just be to upset to be thinking clearly on the matter, you stated " I've been in a few sports car clubs, raced Z-cars in SCCA sanctioned events in the 70's and have personally done quite a bit of work on the cars I've owned", yet you think that the coolant mixing with the oil would turn it black, anyone who's ever been around engine building/racing know that mix gets you a coffee milkshake, next as Louis has stated and what I get out of your first post, is that this lose of coolant started after the replacement of the oil cooler, as in you had no coolant lose before, just oil sludge in the coolant tank, you have stated that you have no white smoke at exhaust, do you have any sweet smell at the exhaust, or most of all, did anyone bother to do a compression test, leak down test, or pull the plugs like MP stated to see any steam cleaned spark plugs, or how about what Karl has stated in his post # 18, I think it is as Louis has just stated "operator errors", meaning not you, but the person repairing (operating on) your vehicle, you seem to be taking what the shops whom are charging you a good amount of dollars words as the only conclusion, why not pull the plugs yourself to inspect, and while you are at it do a compression test on all cylinders, maybe pressurize the coolant system to see if you get coolant into any of the cylinders, of course while the spark plugs are out, and the use of a borescope.
+1. Well stated for logical steps and straight analytical approach that is needed for real answer here.

May seriously be time to move the car to a different qualified mechanic too, more so with several of our suspicions back to the oil cooler work and related seals and such.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-30-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love these posts. Don't own an expensive car if you can not work on it or can't afford someone else to work on it. And never blame the car, Audi, here. I have 2 Audi. A4 and A6, old cars too. The best engineered cars I have seen. They gave me lots of pains, but they are very logical pains. You need to know your car.

Cheers to all Audi owners.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I replaced a new oil cooler. Oil leaking into water now more

[font][font][QUOTE = dvs_dave ؛ 25092992] أعتقد أنك ربما تكون قد انتهيت من التحليل. [/font][/font][font][font]لا يوجد لديك أي شيء من أعراض فشل طوقا الرأس. [/font][/font]

[font][font]يمكن أن يكون نظام التبريد الخاص بك في هذا العمل؟ [/font][/font][font][font]ابحث عن كيفية نزيف نظام التبريد [/font][/font]

[font][font]إذا كنت تبحث عن نفسك في مكان ما؟ [/font][/font][font][font]يصعب اكتشاف نزاع الثقوب في الرادياتير أو حوله. [/font][/font][font][font]هل تبحث عن تراكم القشور؟ [/font][font][/ اقتبس][/font][/font]
Old 09-04-2019, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I replaced a new oil cooler. Oil leaking into water now more

[font][font][QUOTE = dvs_dave ؛ 25092992] أعتقد أنك ربما تكون قد انتهيت من التحليل. [/font][/font][font][font]لا يوجد لديك أي شيء من أعراض فشل طوقا الرأس. [/font][/font]

[font][font]يمكن أن يكون نظام التبريد الخاص بك في هذا العمل؟ [/font][/font][font][font]هل [/font][/font]

[font][font]تبحث عن نفسك في مكان ما؟ [/font][/font][font][font]يصعب اكتشاف نزاع الثقوب في الرادياتير أو حوله. [/font][/font][font][font]هل تبحث عن تراكم القشور؟ [/font][/font][font][font][/ اقتبس][/font][/font]
Old 04-12-2021, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

@sullyj ,
Sorry to bring up this old thread, but what was the outcome here ?

And now after re-reading this thread, I realize that the 2008 does not have the pipe in the oil cooler as some have stated.

There is another member with a 2007 bvj engine with a coolant oil issue also, so any update would be appreciated.

Johnny