A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant Tank Cracked

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Tank Cracked

Dumb question, but does anyone know if you can epoxy the coolant tank?? (Just wondering if the epoxy may react with the fluid)

I found a crack in the outlet pipe where the hose clamps onto it and no dealer in Aust. has a tank...

Thanks
Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AusA8
Dumb question, but does anyone know if you can epoxy the coolant tank?? (Just wondering if the epoxy may react with the fluid)

I found a crack in the outlet pipe where the hose clamps onto it and no dealer in Aust. has a tank...

Thanks
I've used this stuff with fair results on an Audi coolant expansion tank. It lasted a few months.

http://jbweld.net/products/uses.php

Don't know if you can find a similar product down there though.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I've used this stuff with fair results on an Audi coolant expansion tank. It lasted a few months.

Thanks. May I ask why it only lasted a few months though?

I believe we can get JB here.

Cheers
Old 01-07-2012, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Well, i'm not the one to ask. It would be JB Weld people that would be able to give a proper answer.... My guess is that since it is a expansion tank, it actually gets ever so slightly larger when hot and back to original size when the engine is cold....... Thermal expansion of the tank (versus the glue or whatever the JB Weld compound is) is probably different. Eventually, the JB Weld starts to separate from the expansion tank and the coolant leaks out again. At least this will allow you some time to order a new tank from Audi or whoever you choose to buy your parts from.

Of course, as you mentioned in your original post, there is the chance that the coolant itsellf breaks down the adhesive and causes it to separate from the tank as well.

Audi dealers used to have a repair kit for expansion tank failures at the hose connection points where a milded pipe nipple would break off. It included a brass nipple and something very similar if not truly JB Weld. Even that repair kit did not last all that long for me and I had to buy the correct tank. Although maybe I'm thinking of where small air purge hose between the expansion tank connects to the radiator and the kit was for the radiator. This was on my '87 5000CS quattro (probably known as a 200Q down under.....
Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There is epoxy specially for plastic and rubber. It works great.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally

Bought some JB Weld and used it this arvo - thanks for the recommendation. Seemed to set pretty hard so hopefully I'll get some life out of it.

The shop I bought it off also mentioned about the sleeve solution, but couldn't find one to suit my car.

Cheers
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my coolant tank get a crack near the top lid. Dealer diagnosed it as a leaking radiator... So much they know. After a long diagnosis, replaced the tank and all is well. Might be better off just replacing after how much it expands and contracts under heat and cold. Part isn't too expensive, but if the crack is small enough just mend it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
I had my coolant tank get a crack near the top lid. Dealer diagnosed it as a leaking radiator... So much they know. After a long diagnosis, replaced the tank and all is well. Might be better off just replacing after how much it expands and contracts under heat and cold. Part isn't too expensive, but if the crack is small enough just mend it.
Yeah, agree with you. Prob is, Audi Aust don't have the bottle and if they did, it would cost about $500. And to order it, would take 10 weeks... Man I hate living here when it comes to parts.

Drove 200km today and all held up fine, so we'll see how she goes. It due for a service in about 2 weeks so I suspect that who ever works on it will break the bottle then no matter how uch I stress to be careful with it.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AusA8
Yeah, agree with you. Prob is, Audi Aust don't have the bottle and if they did, it would cost about $500. And to order it, would take 10 weeks... Man I hate living here when it comes to parts.

Drove 200km today and all held up fine, so we'll see how she goes. It due for a service in about 2 weeks so I suspect that who ever works on it will break the bottle then no matter how uch I stress to be careful with it.
Are you talking about the coolant overflow tank? If so, they are about $120 from the dealer and takes 10 minutes to install. Don't patch it.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Actually it is $79 here.

Quick Reply: Coolant Tank Cracked