A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost Efficient WABCO Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cost Efficient WABCO Air Compressor

Hello all,

Recently, within the past year, I have noticed more and more error codes relevant to my suspension system. Usually VCDS states: Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor. In rare cases the pressure sensor is at fault and requires the whole valve block be replaced, as it isn't a separate replaceable item. However, in most cases, it is a direct indication that the suspension compressor is weak. This can be partially remedied by using one, or two in my case, of Bagpipingandy's piston ring repair kits. In my case the piston ring only helped for a few months initially, after which I started to get repeated VCDS codes of Signal from Level Control Pressure Sensor, specifically during the summer months. Now, me being my cheap and my college student economical self found out that if you leave the suspension in jack mode, it not only reduces stress on the compressor, but also has no ill effect on the suspension itself. So one of the first suggestions I have, if you suspect a bad compressor, is to put the car in jack mode every time you leave the car. This will prevent the suspension from draining, and thus needing less from the reservoir, which is only filled by the compressor above 25 mph. I have successfully being doing this for the past, almost year by December 11 with the same marginal compressor. However, last year (around the same time), I planned a road trip which was canceled due to many reasons. I wanted to make sure I had a spare compressor onboard during this proposed road trip, so I started to do a little bit of digging.
Now, if you are as resourceful as me you would have looked into many different sources for a compressor that is suitable for our D3s. The prices vary from $400 - $1400 for an air compressor. Now, $400 may seem quite cheap for an air compressor, but with all my research it lacks the WABCO cylinder head logo, who is the original equipment supplier. However, from $1,200 to $1,400 you can have a WABCO stamped compressor, this made me think harder about what manufactures probably used WABCO compressors. To my surprised I found out that the W220 S-Class Mercedes used the exact same compressor supplied via WABCO, with only differences in connectors, an addition of an temperature sensor to the D3 compressors, and an average price difference of about $800. So again being resourceful I found that you can order Mercedes connectors and cable harnesses to directly plug into to the W220 compressors. The W220 cable harness only needs to be adapted/soldered to the D3 compressor connector which connects to the body of the D3 to work properly. The additional temperature sensor can be fitted by removing from the original compressor and placing on the W220 compressor. The W220 connectors needed are seen in picture one below, followed by the cable harness (both part number A0005404105, major difference being 4mm (red end plugs) for the pressure relief valve, to the power supply 6mm (green end plugs)). Hopefully this is helpful to many D3 owners. I know the instructions maybe vague, but if you contact me directly I can supply a throughout guide of the procedure. I just wanted to publish this quickly as I have been seeing many suspension issue related posts, and who doesn't want to save $800.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

The internal valving is different between the Mercedes-Benz and Audi compressors. That said, the compressor will work well in your Audi. Price has to do with economies of scale/quantities built per vehicle.

Trivia, I was at WABCO's US Compressor and Air Disc Brake factory this past week. Note that they only make compressors that bolt on to Commercial truck diesel engines at this plant. I have given a friend a new compressor for a D3 A8. which worked well on his AMG Benz. He cut the connectors off of his old compressor and spliced them on to the Audi unit.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 10-20-2018 at 06:35 AM.