A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
There is a switch to set for transmit or receive, then hold down the on/off buttons till they go into pair mode. They have a light to indicate they have paired, and that all there is to it....BT with no discernible delay.
So, which AMI-AUX cable did you buy, please show the link so other skeptical people can get knowing that it works on yours.

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default here's the AUX cable...

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
So, which AMI-AUX cable did you buy, please show the link so other skeptical people can get knowing that it works on yours.

Cheers,
Louis

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Music-...rksid=p2057872.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default BTUM manual

Haha Louie, I watched the video and I feel SPECIAL!

Perhaps a fly in the ointment though: I have the Motorola BTUM (BlueTooth Upgrade Module). I found the manual (attached) at Manualslib.com but it doesn't say anything about streaming music. I had it working with my old phone but really prefer NOT being interrupted by phone calls or notifications when I'm rockin' "Der Kommissar" or "Tom's Diner" (2004 disco reprise)(actually both in my Spotify library) but I haven't linked the new phone yet. I'm going to try today FWIW. With unlimited data, I like the idea of streaming the video as well, but there are so many crap Youtube music videos I don't know if Youtube is best or just to aim for Spotify. Although it'd be nice to have the phone's Spotify display mirrored - and perhaps even control it through the steering wheel...
My big problem now is the BT is choppy (I think it's BT's fault) unless I turn it off and back on after it's linked to the FM-->BT POS car adapter I have. Even with it right next to the thing. Also ground loop nose, and the fact there are hardly any unused FM frequencies here...

Thanks Louis!
-Tom
Attached Files

Last edited by aTOMic; 10-23-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: attach BTUM manual
Old 10-23-2017, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Now You Want Everything? LOL

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Haha Louie, I watched the video and I feel SPECIAL!

Perhaps a fly in the ointment though: I have the Motorola BTUM (BlueTooth Upgrade Module). I found the manual (attached) at Manualslib.com but it doesn't say anything about streaming music. I had it working with my old phone but really prefer NOT being interrupted by phone calls or notifications when I'm rockin' "Der Kommissar" or "Tom's Diner" (2004 disco reprise)(actually both in my Spotify library) but I haven't linked the new phone yet. I'm going to try today FWIW. With unlimited data, I like the idea of streaming the video as well, but there are so many crap Youtube music videos I don't know if Youtube is best or just to aim for Spotify. Although it'd be nice to have the phone's Spotify display mirrored - and perhaps even control it through the steering wheel...
My big problem now is the BT is choppy (I think it's BT's fault) unless I turn it off and back on after it's linked to the FM-->BT POS car adapter I have. Even with it right next to the thing. Also ground loop nose, and the fact there are hardly any unused FM frequencies here...

Thanks Louis!
-Tom
Alright, the cheap screen mirroring doesn't support Android - (Totally Biased device here) - I think that's the best option, but I think I have another screen mirroring may work with your Android. Throw all your junk bluetooth away, my $5 one is perfect with the TV tuner - Tested and Proven by ME... LOL. I bought 4 of these already. But if you have Mirroring then the bluetooth is NO Need, but you can stream your spotify through the Bluetooth without mirroring, just put your BIG phone on the dash and you can see it without mirroring it to the 7" screen - Uncalled for.
If you want to play Spotify, Movies since you have unlimited data plan, Raspberry Pi is the way to go. I need to configure the Spotify with KODI on my Raspberry Pi, if it works, then it will be in your Xmas package as well, only if "YOU WANT" it. LOL. Watch out for the next VIDEO on Everything Tom's wants on Raspberry Pi.\
If you really want to mirror your Android Phone, I'll get the newer version, it will work. How old is your Android? Does it have an option NFC and Sharing + screen mirroring? If it does, then the device will work.
As long as it makes someone ecstatic for Xmas (some people hate it when I don't type Christmas).
Cheers,
Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-23-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

It has screen mirroring. LG X phone FWIW, I'll probably get a new phone soon, hopefully that'll save you some work and $. .

Stupid question: Where is the head unit you need sent to you? I ***-u-me it's in the dash, but...

thx,
Tom
Old 10-25-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Read here. Need to drop the glovebox, behind it.
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/a8-d3...-retrofit.html

Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ditch the Android Phone, get an iPhone...

Originally Posted by aTOMic
It has screen mirroring. LG X phone FWIW, I'll probably get a new phone soon, hopefully that'll save you some work and $. .

Stupid question: Where is the head unit you need sent to you? I ***-u-me it's in the dash, but...

thx,
Tom
There are so many version of screen mirroring software on Android, it's dependent upon phone manufacturers, Android versions... The bottom line is I used my mom's LG G3 phone and it has Miracast screen mirroring, it doesn't support the screen below 1280x720 which will be blurry with the HDMI to AV. My iPhone 6 with iOS11 works perfectly at 1024, so the display is perfect on the low res 7" of our MMI Screen.

Show me the screen shot of your Screen sharing to see what software they're using.
I just hate inconsistent OS like Android and Windows.
Cheers,
Louis
Old 10-30-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I borrowed my coworker 2 Samsung Phones and they both work perfectly... Hmm. Smart View and Miracast

Cheers,
Louis
Old 11-11-2017, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OK Basarab, check out this cable and let me know if you want everything on it -

Cheers,
Louis
Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Paging Atomic... Have you ever fixed your car?

Haven't heard from you for a while, everything is in a box... Have you fixed the car yet?
Cheers,
Louis