A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

creaking and groaning from suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Ace Ventura

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL..I also creak less in the warm weather..will get her up on ramps this weekend and douse every bushing I can find with some silicone and report back.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think that it is not that good idea. Only improvement can be at the sway bar bushings because there you have rubber sliding on a steel sway bar. Link bushings ply within rubber itself if they are OK. If they are cracked you will just conceal it for some time but real problem will still be there.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Creaking

I had the exact same problem. When it was cold and you turned the steering wheel you would get a very bad creaking and popping noise. When it would warm up the noise would go away. On the rack couldn't get it to make any noise, because there was no load on it. Before you spray anything on it just buy some swway bar end links. I bought some aftermarket ones for about $40 for the pair. Put those on and try it. Also get a needle grease tip at Napa(its a very small sharp needle $3) and carefully pearce all the ball joints and fill them up with grease. Some guys say never do this, but I have dcone it on all of my vehicles that do not have grease fittings on the ball joints with great success. I have never had a boot rip or tear from doing this. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I think that it is not that good idea. Only improvement can be at the sway bar bushings because there you have rubber sliding on a steel sway bar. Link bushings ply within rubber itself if they are OK. If they are cracked you will just conceal it for some time but real problem will still be there.

ETKA doesn`t have any part # for the sway bar bushings.
Does it have to be replased with sway bar?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The drop links are the most common failure point. They are very easy to replace - 20 minute job.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thougth the links are easy, but what about the bushings?
I`m pretty sure that they have to be replased also in my case!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Ace Ventura

And that means removing the sway bar which is a pita. Put a w12 sway (bigger) on our 04 D3 and it was a not easy. Which means to replace those bushings the sway has to come out. Somewhere there has to be a part number for those bushings.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Ace Ventura

I can do the sway bar links but the greasing of ball joints makes me a tad nervous. Maybe you would like to swing by the house and do it for me!! LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is it the thought of having your ***** greased or how it is done which makes you nervous?
I agree, it is not always a good idea as the wrong grease can cause them to decay, but the correct grease applied with dedication by the significant person in your life can possibly do the job just right!
As for the car....
Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The issue is that mineral based grease should not be used with plastics. The plastic - a type of nylon, will absorb some of the grease and cause it to break down - it distorts and swells up which can cause dangerous failure of the joint. The consequences of a front ball joint catastrophic failure are not pleasant.

Quick Reply: creaking and groaning from suspension...