A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D.I.Y. Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-AUDI-Camshaft-Alignment-Locking-Cam-Timing-Pin-Tool-A6-A8-/261379765683?hash=item3cdb72b5b3&item=261379765683&vxp=mtr
Nothing wrong with knock off tools for the cam alignment bar. If it fits it works. I have heard of issues with the crank lock pin not threading correctly at the OP found out. But I think if you are careful you should be fine. It might help to run the tool through a correct size die to clean up the threads.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a place where I can just plug in the tool number and buy them? I googled and all i got were a bunch of rentals. I'd rather have a set to keep for future use.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New Page
You have to call or email to place order but this place has the best tools. I wouldn't trust knock off tools on eBay. Especially for the cam bar, that is VERY important that they line up perfectly tdc so you don't lose your timing. It's pricey for tools but if your going to own your car for a while they are worth it.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sbcrazy
New Page
You have to call or email to place order but this place has the best tools. I wouldn't trust knock off tools on eBay. Especially for the cam bar, that is VERY important that they line up perfectly tdc so you don't lose your timing. It's pricey for tools but if your going to own your car for a while they are worth it.
I'm confused by this. It's a metal bar with pins in it. If you had some free time and a metal bar you could make one. This isn't a precision tool like a vernier caliper.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 615 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
I'm confused by this. It's a metal bar with pins in it. If you had some free time and a metal bar you could make one. This isn't a precision tool like a vernier caliper.
I can "see" it both ways... It is a basic bar, absolutely. Of course, lets see how it could get screwed up. Well first, there is the old put the big and small pins in 180 degrees out of whack on one side. Should pick that up though if you check the tool against the washers with the holes in them starting out, let alone that would be total amateur third world back room crap stuff. But, wait, then there is the old put the pins in say 1-2 degrees off the correct centerline. Since the center large holes are maybe 2", could you "see" that kind of error by eye? Maybe. maybe not. And since one pin is bigger than the other on each side you can't just put a straight edge across all four, but you can approximate. 2 degrees in cam timing would have been a slightly different cam back in the old days; not a lot, but not irrelevant either. Yes, if I were going to cheap on a tool, this one would probably be it, but I would use a straight edge and try to check pin symmetry if not clear on quality.

I think the crank lock pin tool that cross threaded the block was a user issue if it was another long time poster's tool in context (if I remember the thread right). But i was a wake up call to be super careful there. Move crank back and forth ever so slightly as pin is being screwed in to be sure it goes into the "home" position correctly; BTDT. Obviously don't cross thread either. I would also be careful on the cam toothed wheel puller, plus definitely not try to dynamite it with some generic $20 off the shelf flappy arm gear puller set. The cam wheels can bend. Tensioner lock pin probably comes inserted in new hydraulic tensioner (or its one time use equivalent), and 5mm spacer can just be done w/ that size allen wrench. There is the cam/belt turning tool I haven't used, so not sure there.

Oh and BTW, ONCE AGAIN the person who asked the question needs to get his locale in his user i.d. PER THE STICKY, or include it in line. Nothing better (or more basic) than including it in case someone nearby read the post and had the tools. Mailing tool is no fun, but local can be different just depending. You never know...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-26-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

A couple of notes:

A cheap, Chinese knock-off cam lock tool with a pin off by 1° or 2° could be noticed with calibrated eyeballs. But who can verify the calibration?

As far as the crack in the engine block, it was not caused by the crank lock tool, instead it was an issue with cross-threading the original sealing plug after the timing belt replacement was completed.

My first choice is Zelenda for VW & Audi Tools. They are the official source per dealer parts & service departments. However, when I needed to buy the tools, Zelenda did not have everything. Baum Tool Co. in Florida is another source per a dealer. They had everything and I have to say the guy I talked to there knew what he was talking about.

Snap-On has some of the tools but they were out of stock with a listed delay of eight weeks so I passed on them.

All of the above is for North America. Not sure where the guy asking the question is from.

The $44.00 price of the two tools five posts above sounds way too good to be true. To each their own though. I also bought the VW 3036 Camshaft holding tool. This was for my second time doing the timing belt as the first time I rented from the "blue" company. They did not supply a cam holding tool so the inevitable camshaft snap back happened a few times. I had to use the can lock bar to move the camshaft. I wouldn't trust the pins on a $20.00 tool to handle the torque versus the pins on a $90.00 version.

I will say that "blue" rented Zelenda supplied tools. The exception was the puller they sent to pop the camshaft gears off was a three point harmonic balancing type which is not what VW/Audi recommends. Supposedly they can crack a cam gear. I bought the correct tool from Baum.

Also to the guy asking the tool question; As far as what do you buy, can you punch in a number or search etc.; Do what the rest of us do and look in the service manual which lists the proper tools by VW number. If you don't have a service manual, I suggest purchasing one. You'll need it for so many operations on your car.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Excellent write-up!

I'm in awe of this write-up. Impressive, and Thank you!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, I kept on forgetting to stop and take a picture as i was working. I just really hope this helps anyone else out there looking to do this themselves.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Oh woops. I thought I had my profile page set up. It won't lete edit it anymore. I'm in Bergen County, NJ right across the bridge from NYC aout 5 min from NYC.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by flag_route
Oh woops. I thought I had my profile page set up. It won't lete edit it anymore. I'm in Bergen County, NJ right across the bridge from NYC aout 5 min from NYC.
Zelenda is pretty much local to you. Just an EZPass toll or two for the round trip.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Timing Belt Replacement