A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 headlight lens removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D3 headlight lens removal?

I put this into another thread, but I'll ask again. Is it possible to remove the plastic lenses from the D3 headlights without damage? The burgundy car that was featured in the forums a little while a ago with suicide doors had colour keyed headlight 'bowls' that would usually be mirror finish/chrome. Did the guy break the old lenses off and replace them with new ones after painting, or can they be taken off and refitted? When i had my headlights out, the lenses looked glued on...

Help please...

K9
Old 04-04-2012, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe they cut them out and glue back together after painting. I don't like that part painted. Look at the new Corvette. Too small eyes.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen guys put headlights in the oven on very low temp.

Apparently it loosens up the glue and that's how they get the front off.
Stinks like hell and their wives are never happy about it.

BTW - I'm pretty sure that it is not legal in NY to modify reflector coloration.
A friend of mine who is a retired Trooper mentioned it to me 20 years ago as we walked past a vehicle with "blacked out" headlights.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks guys...

I don't intend to paint them. I just mentioned the burgundy car to illustrate it had been done.

Illegal schmalegal...

K9
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K9COP
Illegal schmalegal...
Nothing is illegal unless you get caught
Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never opened a Audi light but I have opened a dozen or so other makes.

Get a hunk of cardboard large enough to cover the oven shelve. Place the light in the oven before heating to see if and how it fits.

Remove the cardboard and preheat the oven to 200-250*F. Shut the oven off, insert the cardboard and light, shut the door. Let it soak for ten minutes, pull it out and try to pry the lens off the housing.

I use flat blade screwdrivers, putty knives, butter knives, etc. It's handy to have something like chop sticks to stick in the opening as you work along. I have used scissors on stringy Lexus adhesive before. I usually work on a pair of lights so one is in the heat while I work on the other one.

You can use heat to soften the glue when putting them back together. There is no smell unless you do something dumb like leaving the oven on with the plastic light inside.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default orrr....

If you have a get out of jail free card....

Originally Posted by jakematic
Nothing is illegal unless you get caught
Old 04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sweet...

Thanks for the input man.

K9

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I've never opened a Audi light but I have opened a dozen or so other makes.

Get a hunk of cardboard large enough to cover the oven shelve. Place the light in the oven before heating to see if and how it fits.

Remove the cardboard and preheat the oven to 200-250*F. Shut the oven off, insert the cardboard and light, shut the door. Let it soak for ten minutes, pull it out and try to pry the lens off the housing.

I use flat blade screwdrivers, putty knives, butter knives, etc. It's handy to have something like chop sticks to stick in the opening as you work along. I have used scissors on stringy Lexus adhesive before. I usually work on a pair of lights so one is in the heat while I work on the other one.

You can use heat to soften the glue when putting them back together. There is no smell unless you do something dumb like leaving the oven on with the plastic light inside.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default would be nice to clean inside of lens...

Originally Posted by K9COP
I don't intend to paint them. I just mentioned the burgundy car to illustrate it had been done.

Illegal schmalegal...

K9
I JUST took my lights out to do a mod and put them back in last week. I lamented the fact that the lens was not clipped on like the D2 lens because I would have liked to have cleaned the off-gassing film from the inside of the lens. Next time I'll know.