A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 S8 versus W12.....what makes us prefer one over the other???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D3 S8 versus W12.....what makes us prefer one over the other???

All,

This has probably been asked and answered before but I'd like to refresh the topic for those that wanna participate. Given that both of these two fine German luxo barges are close in price and trimmings, I am curious as to what makes people lean one way or the other? Having an S8 and never having considered the W12, I am wondering if I made the wrong choice possibly......or maybe I made the right choice and don't know it? In any event, hearing people explain their preference of one versus the other might be entertaining and insightful simultaneously. Fire away.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Simple. I couldn't find a W12 and it was too long to fit in my garage. My S8 barely closes the door behind it lol

And saying you have an S8 is a little more exclusive than A8
Old 02-05-2015, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 614 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Size, options and exclusivity; both strong and so personal preference

W12 is always LWB in North America, and S8 is always SWB no matter where you are. So size/length can easily take you one way or the other.

W12's are usually (not always) 4 seaters in North America. If you want ultimate limo look, sends you W12 direction again, esp. with huge legroom. 5 seater need, maybe involving one or more pre-teen kids, it is likely (though not always) an S8.

Lots of big people in family (but only 4 in a "4 seater"), Again, W12 LWB is a great long distance traveller for 4 bigger folks. At time my kids were teens when I got it so it made sense. I'm tall, so space behind me was a bit tight in my prior A6. Similarly if empty nester and you want the luxo two couple max space ride.

Disagree with first response in some ways. Numerically W12 is lower volume and more exclusive. Anyone who sees the badge and likes nice cars but doesn't know Audis invariably asks "what's a W12" and indirectly is adoring of "V12" concepts. May just attract a "different" type of exclusive admirer, but I even had an LS 2 guy ask me about it at the gas station in last month, and he knew the W12.

Lower profile. LEOs do not connect W12's (or A8's generally ) to "fast." No four pipe racer look or any other strong cues unless you get very close and see badges. I run in non-Dynamic usually, so I'm not particularly lower looking (unless/until 75...) either. If the first glance or first reaction whether or not to point/trigger the speed gun isn't even a real look while you manage speed in an "old fogey" car, well fine by me. If you want more visibility, plus and minus, then S8 more likely. And BTW, to the "Charger" post the other day, W12's do not naturally attract wannabe racers or similar stunts. And if you want to move ahead while someone is rowing their brains out or figure they are going to goose it, one moderate push of the throttle off the line and it is preemptively over with little testosterone stuff. Since it is invariably a sleeper, helps with that sort of driving style--fast but low profile.

More options: By definition W12 is totally loaded, while more S8's are moderately equipped. Even if you max the S8 option list, a few things are still not on it that are on a W12 unless it was Audi Exclusive custom spec'ed.

Interior: Basically if you want the silver or black interior, you can find it in either. If you want something with less muted colors and/or more wood look, it's likely a W12 in some of what is available over time. More likely to find full leather in a W12 too, though possible in either.

Can't go wrong with either. On next one, I would tend toward SWB as an empty nester. That means either S8 or SWB 4.OT most likely. Those are the really fast 0-60 ones. But actually D4 W12 is plenty fast enough, is bullet proof in internal drivetrain, and has no turbos or excuses about throttle lag. With the just intro'ed 2015 restyle and tweaks, it remains on my list in a year or two after first owner takes usual depreciation earliest big bath, especially again with the long list of std. items. There is an interesting current S8 interior though that is arguably more unique than some of the W12/A8 stuff. Will likely be really hard to find used though. But, still likely holding to the D5's as I smile in the D3 W12 every drive.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-05-2015 at 12:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
faisalfaisal (05-15-2023)
Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Disagree with first response in some ways. Numerically W12 is lower volume and more exclusive. Anyone who sees the badge and likes nice cars but doesn't know Audis invariably asks "what's a W12" and indirectly is adoring of "V12" concepts. May just attract a "different" type of exclusive admirer, but I even had an LS 2 guy ask me about it at the gas station in last month, and he knew the W12.
I meant exclusive as in S8 vs A8, not the engine. For all they know it's a trim like SE to non enthusiasts. Those of us in the know are aware it's a very special car. If someone who knows little about cars asks you what you drive and you say A8 W12, they'll be confuzzled by the W12. Ask an S8 owner, and a good portion know its the sporty one.

I'm not taking a crack at the W12 whatsoever. Like I already said, If we got the shorty model on our side of the pond, I'd be in one. And the Pheaton W12 was only an inch shorter than the A8L. Regardless no W12 until I get more real estate lol
Old 02-05-2015, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The reasons I picked the W12 are the following:

More exclusive and luxury oriented vs sporty. Although this is very small difference, you don't have to wind the W12 motor as much as the V10. to me the W12 is more streetable motor vs the V10 would be ore fun keeping it wound up.

The interior with RSE, contast piping, trapezoidal tail pipe,and the additional leg room appealed to me more.

I got a great deal on my W12. All these are just personal preference but I do have a S8 front bumper cover so I definitely have best of both worlds for me.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

If I had to choose between the S8 and the W12 today?

I have the SWB W12. 5-seater. It's a sleeper. People that don't know what kind of car that is can't really imagine the thrill of driving one. I do like the W12-front better and the luxorious feel in the car without the clues telling everyone that it is somewhat of a beast. The S8 has another kind of styling with the special "aluminium-finish" S-mirrors that come with the S-models and some other stuff. The W12-engine is really something special and the rear styling of the W12(rear bumper/exhaust) is quite lovely with much similarity to many RS-models. For a car enthusiast like myself, a 12 cylinder engine is something that I need to cross from my bucket list.

I would really like to hear what the S8-owners say about this question! Why the S8 before the W12? And if there was a SWB-version(5-seater) available, would the W12 be the model for you?
Old 02-05-2015, 05:11 PM
TFT
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blankhopp
If I had to choose between the S8 and the W12 today?

I have the SWB W12. 5-seater. It's a sleeper. People that don't know what kind of car that is can't really imagine the thrill of driving one. I do like the W12-front better and the luxorious feel in the car without the clues telling everyone that it is somewhat of a beast. The S8 has another kind of styling with the special "aluminium-finish" S-mirrors that come with the S-models and some other stuff. The W12-engine is really something special and the rear styling of the W12(rear bumper/exhaust) is quite lovely with much similarity to many RS-models. For a car enthusiast like myself, a 12 cylinder engine is something that I need to cross from my bucket list.

I would really like to hear what the S8-owners say about this question! Why the S8 before the W12? And if there was a SWB-version(5-seater) available, would the W12 be the model for you?
I was torn between the S8 and the W12. I went to the local Audi dealership and asked a couple of the service guys their opinion. They all said buy the S8. According to them the S8 V10 is bulletproof, the W12 can result in repair and the repair is extremely expensive.
They also said it depends on whether you prefer or sportier car or not. It may have been that they preferred a sportier car.
So for me it boiled down to I prefer the SWB over the LWB (we already have an A8L) and I found a S8 in the color I wanted with all the options I wanted. Except for the grille, I love my car!!!
It was a tough decision though, and had I found a W12 in the right color with the right options (4-seater) I might have gone the other direction. Either way I don't think you can go wrong, just a matter of choice.
I'd love to replace my wife's A8L with a W12.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was actually in search of a SWB A8 when I started my quest...but they were so rare to find and having an S4 at the time, I talked myself into the S8 knowing it was the sportier version (which I love)...and the rest is history...don't think I would go W12 now.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

This toob vudeo help me make my decision. If these kinds of videos are against forum policy, I will promptly delete it.

It's an S8 with a tune that has a skeptical 480hp(30hp from a tune without FI? Doubt it) vs an A8 W12. I naturally wanted the top dog in terms of performance, and a short wheelbase. I could be wrong of course. The S8 is quite a bit lighter and only 30lbft short. The W12 even gets the jump.

This was because I was more interested in performance over top comfort. Which is funny because the W12 is just as fast and has port injection instead of FSI, so no carbon to clean afaik. Uhoh, I hope I'm not starting to regret my purchase LOL

Last edited by Darren Coogan; 02-05-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

This video is perfect! Everybody can see in it just what he wants.

Few days ago it was posted in another tread. Together with sound edited S8 exhaust sound.

Quick Reply: D3 S8 versus W12.....what makes us prefer one over the other???