A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D3 S8 Winter Wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D3 S8 Winter Wheel question

AudiWorld Member
2007 Audi S8

Found a set of OEM S6 wheels from an 08 with 1200 mi on them and the Blizzaks.
From what I can see in the forums I think the 07 S8 wheels are 20 x 9
with an offset in the mid 40's somewhere??

S6 wheels are marked as 19 x 9 and Offset of 52

Would I need spacers to get the offsets equal, or is there a little
play to work with?

Tire Rack shows several after market styles for the S8 with a 9.5"
width and offsets varying from 40-51

Posted on the tire and wheel board as well, but thought there might be some better experience here

Thx

bbb

2009 A8L Phantom Black Pearl Effect/Sport Package/Magic fingers front seats.

2007 S8 Daytona Gray Pearl Effect/ Black and Silver Valcona Leather / B&O sound system /Llumar 32% Charcoal Tint.

2004 B6 S4 4.2 Silver/Silver Alcantara and Black
B&B Catback /Premium/Polished Ronal R-38/Pzero Rosso/ Euro door trim (Sold)

2001 A6 4.2 /Silver/Onyx /Premium/NAV/17" Wheels
(Traded in)

1974 Audi Fox (RIP)
Old 12-23-2011, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default I would back up first...

what tire size are you headed for? Important on snows as many fit and recommend narrower width and complementary taller aspect ratio. I'm a bit of a contrarian on this in a limited ice scenario, but keeping it simple that's the conventional wisdom. And, as you move down toward 255 and 245, you may want to look at 8 1/2's.

You don't say the tire size on the wheels, but my guess is it will net to a smaller diameter if they were used an S6, A6, etc.. Your S8 with 265/35-20 is running a 27.3" diameter. The S6 is probably at least an inch shorter in diameter. You can do it, but it will throw your speedo off (more), will look smallish in the wheel well, will lower the car 1/2" plus (the radius drop--not a good thing for winter/snow), and will use a lower aspect ratio than a D3 fitment (while in winter the wisdom again trends to higher to deal with big(ger) potholes and such).

6mm offset isn't going to matter most likely at 255 and even less at 245, but it is going to get very close at 275 using a summer type example. You are presumably running 265/35's now (for a 2007 S8) on 20's, and ET 46. Yes, you can space back out (I run 12 mm spacers front and 20 rear on 20 x 9 OEM ET46 with 275's), but in winter you might prefer to keep the tires "tucked under" the fender openings more--less crap down the side of the car and less sandblast erosion effect at the lower rear of the wheel well if you keep the tire in further at the margin.

Also backing up, if you are doing this as a "this season" project and would get the "right" tire fitment for a D3, flip over to the Tire Rack or similar site. You will find many popular sizes likely to be used on the D3 as unobtainium at this point in the season. TireRack often just deletes the tire size once they run out--annoying to me if I want to know what is made (like in the Dunlop M3's for example)--so realize if you take a longer term view you may not see all the choices on at least TR's site.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-23-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response..

Not sure where I want to be going for final tire size.

As you theorized, I am running 265/35-20 Summer tires (Contis) on the stock wheels.

The S6 Wheels are setup with Blizzak 265/35-19's
I probably jumped the gun a bit and went ahead and bought them.
(I felt it was a good deal)

They are Audi OEM wheels with TPM setup and only 1200 miles on them, so
I took a risk and pulled the trigger. Now I hope I can make them work for me.

The 19's are definitely about a bit shorter and smaller diameter than the stock wheels, and I hear you on shooting crap down the side of the car if shimmed outboard too much.
Not too worried about the chassis lowering of the 19's as
I would kick the suspension into "lift" mode if it were necessary to compensate.

One of my concerns was whether or not I would have rubbing issues
with the greater offset on the S6 wheels (52mm) and turned all of the way to the stops if I didn't install the spacers.

The tire rack site is probably what confused me the most as they had all available wheel options (not just winter) for the S8 as 9.5" W and the offsets ranged from 40-51mm

I am not usually dealing with a lot of ice, just loose and packed snow.

Thanks again, and any further advice is appreciated.

bbb
Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Further info...

So, more or less you will be basically 1" smaller in diameter/0.5" in radius, thus that 1/2" lower ride height. Keep that in mind even for every day driving like curbs and parking stops and such, and as you say, you have the lift mode to help compensate.

Later tire size: You will have to deal with fewer choices in a variety of 19" sizes, but variously you could just use the typical 4.2 size at 255/40. Or, you might look at as narrow as 235/45. There is a Dunlop M3 in that size for example (and likely with the necessary load ratings), and the overall diameter at about 27.3" is almost identical to your S8 regular summer diameter. Or if you want to pop up to more like the 27.7" diameter you find on 4.2's and W12's--and also get the car a bit higher rather than lower for winter--you could look at 245/45 choices.

Meanwhile, unfortunately not sure those TPMS's are going to work. You can look them up if you poke around the Beru site (the OEM supplier for Audi and many of the Euro TPMS's), or places that sell them. The basic Beru number for these types of sensors is RDE00X, plus the frequency involved (see below). I think the D3's use the ones where X=1. The S6 ones may have X=7; likewise the Audi part number will be different, particularly the first three digits/letters which vary for chassis specific parts. To complicate further there are 433MHz sensors and 315MHz sensors, but that is country specific and I think all the U.S. ones are 433MHz for starters.

Rubbing. Net, I don't think you will find an issue or get particularly close even. Guys have occasionally pushed into 285 fitments for that matter; front is the tighter area generally. For the 6mm offset change involved, that's really just the step up from 265s to 275's (5mm evenly distributed to inside and outside when mounted on a given (9") rim. You may know the 275's are the W12 and 4.2 size used w/ the 20" wheel option. As I have noted in other posts, the 265 Audi OEM S8 fitment may basically have the same actual width as the 275's but just with a marginally reduced sidewall height--that's what I understood about the Yokohama ADVAN's found on a lot of S8's originally. Said another way the 265/35 in 20's may be a bit "oversize" in actual width. And in 19's, they may be truly narrower in 265's compared to your S8 tires; you will know when you can match them up to see it in the field. Since you are shortening up the radius 1/2", it's also less likely to hit anything. And again, it doesn't rub with 275/35-20's either, which add another 0.2" in radius from your S8 fitment. Finally, if you want to check for yourself with a wheel on, it would be in the wheel well area at about 2 o clock position on the passenger side or 10 o clock on the drivers side if it has an issue, right near the transition from the sidewall to the tread. That is on each side of the car as you cut the front of the wheel all the way into the wheel well at the limit of its travel. Also up at the steering knuckle at the 12 o clock position in theory, but you will see it won't be that close, or much different than what you have now--that clearance/pinch point comes more into play if you grow (rather than shrink) the overall radius. In the back you shouldn't find anything super close, those issues tend to arise as you push the wheels out and rubbing eventually occurs with the wheel felt lining under extreme compression in the 11 to 1 o clock area on the outside of the tire, but that takes a 25mm+ offset change from where you start on your S8 OEM fitment now. There should be enough room on the inside to deal comfortably with modest changes.

We haven't touched on brakes finally, but I think that will work out w/out any surprises. The S8/W12 can handle OEM D3 18" wheels, so by 19" you have more play in general. Off the top, my memory is the S6 may have 365mm rotors up front instead of 385mm rotors, but I think it is the same 2 piston floating Ate caliper; thus the shaping of the insides of the wheel for the caliper should be fine. The older C5 S6s, 2.7T's, 4.2's and allroads and the D2 A8/S8's used to have issues with a lot of wheels with the older (and heavier) HP2 calipers commonly fitted, but not a similar problem generally with C6's and D3's and the more recent caliper design.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-23-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As MP4.2+6.0 said, they won't rub. They won't look or work too good either, but you will be just fine. If you didn't soft-lowered your car you will be still higher than many of us.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
So, more or less you will be basically 1" smaller in diameter/0.5" in radius, thus that 1/2" lower ride height. Keep that in mind even for every day driving like curbs and parking stops and such, and as you say, you have the lift mode to help compensate.

Later tire size: You will have to deal with fewer choices in a variety of 19" sizes, but variously you could just use the typical 4.2 size at 255/40. Or, you might look at as narrow as 235/45. There is a Dunlop M3 in that size for example (and likely with the necessary load ratings), and the overall diameter at about 27.3" is almost identical to your S8 regular summer diameter. Or if you want to pop up to more like the 27.7" diameter you find on 4.2's and W12's--and also get the car a bit higher rather than lower for winter--you could look at 245/45 choices.

Meanwhile, unfortunately not sure those TPMS's are going to work. You can look them up if you poke around the Beru site (the OEM supplier for Audi and many of the Euro TPMS's), or places that sell them. The basic Beru number for these types of sensors is RDE00X, plus the frequency involved (see below). I think the D3's use the ones where X=1. The S6 ones may have X=7; likewise the Audi part number will be different, particularly the first three digits/letters which vary for chassis specific parts. To complicate further there are 433MHz sensors and 315MHz sensors, but that is country specific and I think all the U.S. ones are 433MHz for starters.

Rubbing. Net, I don't think you will find an issue or get particularly close even. Guys have occasionally pushed into 285 fitments for that matter; front is the tighter area generally. For the 6mm offset change involved, that's really just the step up from 265s to 275's (5mm evenly distributed to inside and outside when mounted on a given (9") rim. You may know the 275's are the W12 and 4.2 size used w/ the 20" wheel option. As I have noted in other posts, the 265 Audi OEM S8 fitment may basically have the same actual width as the 275's but just with a marginally reduced sidewall height--that's what I understood about the Yokohama ADVAN's found on a lot of S8's originally. Said another way the 265/35 in 20's may be a bit "oversize" in actual width. And in 19's, they may be truly narrower in 265's compared to your S8 tires; you will know when you can match them up to see it in the field. Since you are shortening up the radius 1/2", it's also less likely to hit anything. And again, it doesn't rub with 275/35-20's either, which add another 0.2" in radius from your S8 fitment. Finally, if you want to check for yourself with a wheel on, it would be in the wheel well area at about 2 o clock position on the passenger side or 10 o clock on the drivers side if it has an issue, right near the transition from the sidewall to the tread. That is on each side of the car as you cut the front of the wheel all the way into the wheel well at the limit of its travel. Also up at the steering knuckle at the 12 o clock position in theory, but you will see it won't be that close, or much different than what you have now--that clearance/pinch point comes more into play if you grow (rather than shrink) the overall radius. In the back you shouldn't find anything super close, those issues tend to arise as you push the wheels out and rubbing eventually occurs with the wheel felt lining under extreme compression in the 11 to 1 o clock area on the outside of the tire, but that takes a 25mm+ offset change from where you start on your S8 OEM fitment now. There should be enough room on the inside to deal comfortably with modest changes.

We haven't touched on brakes finally, but I think that will work out w/out any surprises. The S8/W12 can handle OEM D3 18" wheels, so by 19" you have more play in general. Off the top, my memory is the S6 may have 365mm rotors up front instead of 385mm rotors, but I think it is the same 2 piston floating Ate caliper; thus the shaping of the insides of the wheel for the caliper should be fine. The older C5 S6s, 2.7T's, 4.2's and allroads and the D2 A8/S8's used to have issues with a lot of wheels with the older (and heavier) HP2 calipers commonly fitted, but not a similar problem generally with C6's and D3's and the more recent caliper design.
Thanks MP.. very good info
I appreciate the quality feedback. Will keep my fingers crossed on the TPM sensors. I think the frequencies match, but I won't know until after I
hit the "change wheels" selection in the MMI and it tries to reboot the sensors.
I think everything will work just fine, and the wheels and tires are for all intent and purposes, new, so will likely get a few seasons out if them before I opt to taller and narrower.

It goes in to the dealer late next week for intake runner motor replacement and moonroof frame replacement. Will have them switched out then..
Fortunately it has been relatively snow free in the Pacific Northwest so far this year so the Contis have been fine. I recently brought the car from Colorado and drove home in snow/ice conditions through Colorado and Wyoming.
Sort of spooky with the summer tires on it..but made it safe and sound.
Had just bought it and was anxious to get it home.

Again, many thanks..

bbb
Old 12-27-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi,

I just put a set of 19" winter wheels, with 38 offset on my S8. This was in combo with a set of 255/40R-19 winter tires. I will probably never go back to the stock 20"s. The change in ride quality was incredible. Having done the change myself, I can tell you the 19"s are so much lighter as well. My 19 winters are replicas from Auchtuning. I will likely get a set of legit 19's for the summer and keep the 20"s in storage for resale. Here in the northeast, just no upside to the 20's... Wish I didn't just replace 4 tires and an 20" rim......
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Think about 18's. 285/40x18 Continental DW on 9.5x18 ET45. They are great.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
Think about 18's. 285/40x18 Continental DW on 9.5x18 ET45. They are great.
The proper 18" figment for the S8 is a 255/45 18. Use caution with the 18" though as many 18" wheels will not clear the calipers.