A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn floor mats

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Damn floor mats

I'm tired of the mat getting pushed forward by my big clumsy feet. The boinky things that are supposed to hold them in place don't work. (boinky thing is my technical name)

Has anyone ever come up with a solution. I was just looking and thinking of putting picture wire from the mat holes to something under the seat. Problem is there is nothing to connect it to.

Has anyone ever drilled a small hole in the top of the boinky things, then put stainless steel screws in to each with a washer bigger than the hole in the mat?

Any other solutions?
Old 08-06-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by audijim113
I'm tired of the mat getting pushed forward by my big clumsy feet. The boinky things that are supposed to hold them in place don't work. (boinky thing is my technical name)

Has anyone ever come up with a solution. I was just looking and thinking of putting picture wire from the mat holes to something under the seat. Problem is there is nothing to connect it to.

Has anyone ever drilled a small hole in the top of the boinky things, then put stainless steel screws in to each with a washer bigger than the hole in the mat?

Any other solutions?
I believe that somebody replaced those boinky things . They work when they are new. Or it's just my memory.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Any other solutions?
I've replaced my boinky things as well as the receivers on the underside of the carpet when they allowed the mats to pop off. Your other idea sounds like it would work but purists would make fun of it and call it a hack.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

...Has anyone ever drilled a small hole in the top of the boinky things, then put stainless steel screws in to each with a washer bigger than the hole in the mat?

Any other solutions?
I'm imagining those chrome hood hold-downs with wire clip retainers, popular in the '70s. Good conversation piece, and adds prolly 15 hp.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

www.jcwhitney.com

Fits most cars (not yours).
Old 08-07-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took mine out! Have rubber ones for winter but till then, driving naked! What will I wear out the carpet on an 06 with 140,000!
Old 08-07-2016, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Get different anchors for the floor and for the mats. The Q7? anchors have a turn-buckle affair.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 230 Likes on 210 Posts

They work well on my car, mats don't move an inch. Suggest you get some new mats or clips.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
They work well on my car, mats don't move an inch. Suggest you get some new mats or clips.
+1. New mats. The factory set up works fine and non-issue for me over 100K miles and 10 years. Same w/ their winter rubber mats BTW if you want those. Either set maybe got less use than one set only, since I rotated. Replacement mats are not outrageously priced via (on line) dealer, and then carpet color and cut match the car just like new. Anything aftermarket will probably pull out; they do on my D4 S8 where I got some my lively color ones.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Where do you get new clips, (original or Q7 type)? Do you have to pull the carpet up to install them? I did the screw and washer thing yesterday. Doesn't look bad. (they are SS so won't rust if floor gets wet from rain or snow).

Only problem is the plastic things aren't very strong looking and wonder if my big, clumsy feet will push mat forward and pull screw out of plastic boinky?
Attached Thumbnails Damn floor mats-mattt.jpg  

Quick Reply: Damn floor mats