A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash error codes help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash error codes help

hi all,

looking for some info as to what the error codes on my dash mean, i know the headlight out warning is on as i had my head light bulbs changed, so presuming they need to be wiped via vcds, but some help on the others would be appreciated, before i give audi $ to tell me!

http://youtu.be/vmBMlL8IBiw
Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks to me like it's cycling through the self diagnostic. Are you holding the check button to get it to do that?

Mine leaves the icon on the display after it senses a problem. Pressing check tells more about it.
I just tried holding check on my A8 with the ignition on and it does exactly the same as yours.

Have a look at https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec57.shtml

If you have VCDS do an autoscan. It will tell you if there are any malfunctions.

-Jake
Old 04-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah that is what I get when holding down the "check" button on the dash. After it's done and I switch the headlights on I get the bulb out warning light staying on, which I am going to get wiped tomorrow. I don't have the vcds software so can't do a self diagnostic. I think I may be ordering it soon though!!

So the cycle it's going through is just a self scan and nothing to be worried about?
Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as I know yes. Either that or both our A8's have a tonne of problems!

Originally Posted by brisweeney
So the cycle it's going through is just a self scan and nothing to be worried about?

I've found it and the Bentley manual to be invaluable. If for no other reason that turning off the bloody seat belt chime.

Originally Posted by brisweeney
I don't have the vcds software so can't do a self diagnostic. I think I may be ordering it soon though!!
Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Haha yes let's hope both our A8’s aren't dying before our eyes! I'll take it to the local mechanic that has vcds and ask him to wipe the error. Hopefully the LEDs I installed today aren't faulty, they are supposed to have a can bus error cancelation chip in them.

I've been looking for the bentley manual and the genuine audi DVD manual that came with the car, can't find the bentley manual for less than $100 and can't find the audi one at all!

Thanks for the help though, let's my mind rest for the rest of the night!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

I believe that the Bentley manual on CD is the only service manual available to the general public. $100 is about the market price for it.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 613 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Should be okay on autocheck, but...

Should be okay on Autocheck. It cycles through like that if you hold the button down. Same basic function since my old C3 from 1985.

A bit suspicious on the basic warning though. I wasn't aware the error needed to be cleared. Could be the case on newer or HID ones though; haven't had an headlight issue on either of my newer (HID) Audis in 10+ years. On older Audis when I replaced the bulb at issue and then activated the circuit involved again, the error would clear in the display. When you mention an LED mod, it makes me suspicious (as you are) that there may be something else going on.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you are right about clearing the error. I`v just changed my fog lite bulbs and error was gone when I turned them on.

By the way I installed 55W HID`s. Lots of properly directed light. I love them.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post your Link for the LEDs you used! Depending on your A8's Year and type of LEDs you are using, you will get that Bulb Out Warning and nothing can be done except to remove them and replace with original Bulbs. However, there are only a Few LEDs that will work, so send the Link and I'll let you know. Laters,
Old 04-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by williebone
Post your Link for the LEDs you used! Depending on your A8's Year and type of LEDs you are using, you will get that Bulb Out Warning and nothing can be done except to remove them and replace with original Bulbs. However, there are only a Few LEDs that will work, so send the Link and I'll let you know. Laters,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_6833wt_780

These are the lights I got. My local mechanic plugged the car in and saw that they are only pulling 2 watt rather than the required 5 to avoid the error code. I have ordered new ones from autoilumination and if they don't work I can get a resistor wired in to draw the extra power.

My car by the way is a 05 A8 3.0Tdi

Quick Reply: dash error codes help