A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash error codes help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williebone
As for the Fogs, '04 thru early/mid '05 A8 uses H11 Bulbs for Fog and not H7! H11 is a simple Plug and Play with no Drilling...
Dang! I didn't even look at the H11 destructions because I had the H7, but I sure wish I had H11's!! Those are truly Plug-and-Play!

Oh well... The job's done and everything is working great.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What did you buy/ get to use for the dome?? replacement and festoons? Please explain what bulbs you bought and where they are and what not?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone have a link on where to purchase the H11 plug and play HID's? Any way to know by VIN if I have the H11's without looking lol?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
What did you buy/ get to use for the dome?? replacement and festoons? Please explain what bulbs you bought and where they are and what not?

Doors: qty 8 of 194 CAN-bus 4 LED 12mm x 30mm (will be ordering 3 more of these for the trunk, and 1 for glove box)

Tag: qty 2 of Festoon CAN-bus 3 LED 9mm x 36mm

Dome: qty 4 of Bax9s CAN-bus 2 LED 11mm x 35mm (2 front 2 back, see below)

Door were easy peasy and look good.
If you put the LED's in with the "blank" side with no black chip away from the lens it is correct polarity.
Rather annoyed that 3 of the back covers are missing though.

Tag lamps were sworn at profusely as the screws refuse to budge.
That's a project for a day when it's not 32C and humid!

Dome didn't go so well. Sylvania's replacement guide lists the dome as 64132 which translates to the Bax9s bulb.
When I popped the cover off there were 2825 (194) bulbs in some sort of socket that connects to bare contacts.
The bulb pulled right out but where the hell the socket went is unknown - probably in the overhead controls.

So.... does anybody have any idea what kind of bulb or socket goes into this fixture?
No doubt Audi has them for $110 each
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

By the way- I'm not convinced CAN-bus bulbs are required for doors, trunk or glovebox.

I had 3 door lamps burnt out and 2 in the trunk out.
Never had warnings on the dash and VCDS is/was clean.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Doors: qty 8 of 194 CAN-bus 4 LED 12mm x 30mm (will be ordering 3 more of these for the trunk, and 1 for glove box)

Tag: qty 2 of Festoon CAN-bus 3 LED 9mm x 36mm

Dome: qty 4 of Bax9s CAN-bus 2 LED 11mm x 35mm (2 front 2 back, see below)

Door were easy peasy and look good.
If you put the LED's in with the "blank" side with no black chip away from the lens it is correct polarity.
Rather annoyed that 3 of the back covers are missing though.

Tag lamps were sworn at profusely as the screws refuse to budge.
That's a project for a day when it's not 32C and humid!

Dome didn't go so well. Sylvania's replacement guide lists the dome as 64132 which translates to the Bax9s bulb.
When I popped the cover off there were 2825 (194) bulbs in some sort of socket that connects to bare contacts.
The bulb pulled right out but where the hell the socket went is unknown - probably in the overhead controls.

So.... does anybody have any idea what kind of bulb or socket goes into this fixture?
No doubt Audi has them for $110 each
For the dome lights I used 194 size LEDs. I recommend not more than 1 led as any more is far too bright IMO. I'm looking for a White light, that isn't dazzling, as even for city driving this can be dangerous. They dim and brighten fine when adjusted in the mmi. I'm just waiting on some to come from autoillumination to change out the back and the reading light in the mirror, which are 194 too. Again I'd say don't go over 1 led for these. Working it out I've spent about $120 in LEDs!! What with the 5 LEDs not working in my parking lights. It's worth it I think though, certainly for the courtesy step lights and plate bulbs
Old 04-27-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by brisweeney
For the dome lights I used 194 size LEDs. I recommend not more than 1 led as any more is far too bright IMO. I'm looking for a White light, that isn't dazzling, as even for city driving this can be dangerous. They dim and brighten fine when adjusted in the mmi. I'm just waiting on some to come from autoillumination to change out the back and the reading light in the mirror, which are 194 too. Again I'd say don't go over 1 led for these. Working it out I've spent about $120 in LEDs!! What with the 5 LEDs not working in my parking lights. It's worth it I think though, certainly for the courtesy step lights and plate bulbs
You have an 05, did you see the same thing in the dome lights that I pictured below?

Yes it's absolutely worth the cost!

Thanks for the heads up on the one LED. Was nervous 2 wouldn't be bright enough.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
You have an 05, did you see the same thing in the dome lights that I pictured below?

Yes it's absolutely worth the cost!

Thanks for the heads up on the one LED. Was nervous 2 wouldn't be bright enough.
That pic isn't the clearest. But it seems to be what I have in mine, the actual connector is a little bit inside the housing, but you should deffo see it. I found the LEDs needed a little firm push to get it into the connector. Is it possible yours might have disappeared up into the dome housing?!

If you like I can take a pic in a few days when my LEDs come and I'm changing the rest out.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by brisweeney
That pic isn't the clearest. But it seems to be what I have in mine, the actual connector is a little bit inside the housing, but you should deffo see it. I found the LEDs needed a little firm push to get it into the connector. Is it possible yours might have disappeared up into the dome housing?!

If you like I can take a pic in a few days when my LEDs come and I'm changing the rest out.
Oh yeah, it's up in the housing somewhere. It's kind of a twist in socket that the 194s would push into.
Was expecting a twist bulb and not a push in so I messed it up by turning the whole works. Will tear it apart and find it at the weekend.

Would appreciate a pic! Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Anyone have a link on where to purchase the H11 plug and play HID's? Any way to know by VIN if I have the H11's without looking lol?
Link: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Just select the bulb type with the drop-down.

I'm not sure how to tell by VIN, but you might be able to tell from the options decal in the Spare Tire area. I'm pretty sure you'll need to pull the lamp housing out to be sure which you have. It's really easy though.

Step 1 - Pull out black plastic lower grille insert
Step 2 - Remove 3 Torx screws
Step 3 - Pull Fog Lamp assembly out

Here are the destructions from DDM for H11 HID Fog Lamps replacements. Waaaaay easier than the H7's, and no drilling involved at all. Nice!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
h8911install2.pdf (668.1 KB, 143 views)

Quick Reply: dash error codes help