A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Dead" rear brake light

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Dead" rear brake light

Hi

Having a strange issue with my outer right rear brake light, it throws an error code stating that the light is defective and thus shutting it down along with the inner right brake light.
So it's working properly until the fault check kicks in a says it's deffective and then shuts down both lights on right side, brake lights still work. Safety feature?

I've changed all LED in the inner lights due many faulty LED and was guessing that the faulty LED's was the reason for the light was shut down after the fault check.

I've checked and confirmed that both inner lights work without giving an fault code, left outer light work as normal.

All wires to the lights both inner and outer have been checked and found OK.

Checked the electronicks inside the lights both inner and outer ones without finding any obvious faults, resisistors, capasitors, power traces etc checked with a multimeter. No condensation found in the light that gives me the defective fault.
Also checked the LED's for working condition with ignition on (car not running) and it all worked as supposed, brake, park and turn LED's all worked.

Have "talked" to the controle module for the lights and all readings seem fine, cheked that one for corrosion as well none found.

Apart from the above I sporadicaly get errors on ESP, ABS and parking brake at the same time.

Does anybode have any idé of what can be causing the light defective fault when it seems that all functions of the light functions as it should?
Could it be the brake light switch that is becoming faulty leading to theese faults, as I have understood this switch sometimes throws many unexplainable faults when becoming faulty?
Possible to VCDS away the CAN-BUS fault check for this module?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a crack in one of my rear light assemblies...I just replaced both. Could be moisture getting in there.