A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cant diagnose problem- help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer cant diagnose problem- help please

On the evening of Dec 23, I drove my 2006 Audi A8 to my sister-in-law’s. I turned off the ignition and went inside. My wife arrived about 30-40 minutes later and told me that my car was making loud “bumping noises”. I approached the car and heard the same noise coming from under the hood at the left front of the car. It sounded like a motor turning something back and forth in an irregular pattern. My first thought was that the adaptive headlights were being moved back and forth. Looking at the headlights this did not seem to be the case. I started the car and the noise stopped. I noticed a faint electrical smell in the interior. I stopped the motor and the noise resumed. I locked the car and the noise stopped. I repeated this to the same effect twice. After about 10 minutes of sleuthing, the battery drained and I was unable to enter the car with the key remote. (It was dark and I couldn’t find the door lock.)

The next day the car was flat bedded to the dealer, Sewickley Car Store in Sewickley, PA. My sister-in-law told me that the driver started the car and drove it up to the flat bed.

A week later, on Dec 31st the dealer called and told me the car was “all finished” (36,000 mile service had been done). I asked about what they had done to resolve the problem. Matt the service manager told me that they were unable to determine the cause of the problem. I requested that they keep the car to determine the cause of the problem. Matt agreed to keep the car but stated that the problem would have to recur in order to diagnose the issue.

On January 8th Matt the service manager again called. No problem could be found with the car.

Warranty expires in Feb/10
Has anyone had a similar problem?
Any tips for how to procede from here?
Also need to consider purchase of an extended warranty.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Never had it happen to me but the WABCO Electronically Controlled Air Suspension (ECAS) electric compressor is located just ahead of the driver side front tire. Perhaps the relay that controls it is/was sticking causing it to run. There are pressure protection valves to prevent it from blowing the airbags in the shocks/struts.

It is a pretty high current motor so it could drain the battery quickly. There would probably be no diagnostic fault codes for a stuck relay either.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, I will run that by the service advisor.
Audi USA told me that there was nothing they could do without a diagnosis.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

Picked up the car last night after the service rep telling me their was nothing more they could do. I Had to pick the car up after hours. Started the car and the yellow and green suspension lights glowed solid. Obvious suspension problem. The car wouldn't go into LIFT or DYNAMIC mode. They came and got the car. Still waiting to hear what's up. Anyone have extended warranty advise?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

had the same problem the dealer figured it out after a week that it was the compressor. compressor cost is $1500 plus $500 to install it.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by welsh1985
had the same problem the dealer figured it out after a week that it was the compressor. compressor cost is $1500 plus $500 to install it.
Three years ago Audi charged me $954 for the compressor and $38 for an *installation kit*. Then 5 hours of labor which, back then was $93/hr.

I guess the exchange rate of the Euro versus US Dollar is to blame. Those wacky Germans at WABCO!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

mister bally do ypu know where the compressor is located at. what is the instal kit consist of
Old 02-15-2010, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by welsh1985
mister bally do ypu know where the compressor is located at. what is the instal kit consist of
Location is directly in front of the driver's side front tire.

I am guessing that the install kit consists of a few push to connect fittings for the synflex/plastic hoses that connect to the compressor as well as rubber mounting grommets.