A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential fluids

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interestingly enough, despite ordering the G 055 162 A2 blue 6+ fluid, what I got was Lifeguard 8 fluid. It's really seeming like you just can't get the 6+ anymore.

Guess we'll see how my 6HP does with the LifeGuard 8 fluid.....
Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

To those anxiously waiting for this, my friend had an utter disastrous week at his shop, so we're going to do this next week.

Will advise once done
Old 06-06-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well since everyone is curious, here's the update. Got the pan off and it's draining right now. Fluid that came out was very clean, and the pan magnets were quite clean as well. Looks like my tranny is in very good health. Turns out, despite what ZF told me, my gearbox was filled with gold (LifeGuard 6) fluid, so I'll be doing 3 drain and fills to get it all out and replaced with the green (LifeGuard 8) fluid, and then tomorrow it's going to the dealer for the software update.

Now, for the diffs, the good part: front and rear are a joke, and I re-filled with Red Line 75W90. The bad part: to access the drain and fill plus on the center diff, the center section of the exhaust needs to come down, so you can access a cross member. All 3 diffs fluid looked pretty tired, so I"d definitely recommend doing this if your car is close to 100k.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Would be it acceptable to change the front and rear diffs but leave the center alone? I was hoping for this to be a DIY and it can be, granted I skip the center diff. Also did you get any pictures in the process? As well as how many quarts each needed?
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Brozee
Would be it acceptable to change the front and rear diffs but leave the center alone? I was hoping for this to be a DIY and it can be, granted I skip the center diff. Also did you get any pictures in the process? As well as how many quarts each needed?
If you can't get the car on a lift, you're going to have a hell of a time changing the center diff. In order to pull that cross member, you need to support the transmission. You could skip the center diff and just do the front and rear, but all 3 of mine had some fairly nasty fluid.

To change the center, I actually used a MityVac to suck the old fluid out, and just re-filled, then sucked some more out, then did a final fill. It's capacity is right about a quart.

The front and rear used 3 quarts all together, and these are very easy to do, even if you were on jack stands.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool thanks, so I believe I will just flush the front and rear diff then, and possibly have the center diff done by my indy if I end up doing it. Just wanted to make sure it would be fine to do the front and rear and skip the middle; for now at least. Let us know if you notice any differences, quieter riding etc.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bmwm750
If you can't get the car on a lift, you're going to have a hell of a time changing the center diff. In order to pull that cross member, you need to support the transmission. You could skip the center diff and just do the front and rear, but all 3 of mine had some fairly nasty fluid.

To change the center, I actually used a MityVac to suck the old fluid out, and just re-filled, then sucked some more out, then did a final fill. It's capacity is right about a quart.

The front and rear used 3 quarts all together, and these are very easy to do, even if you were on jack stands.
A write up or post how you done the front and rear would be great
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
A write up or post how you done the front and rear would be great
Front and rear is just like servicing any other diff, in any other car. Pull the fill plug first (to make sure you will be able to re-fill it and to aid in draining), then the drain plug. Let it drain, put the drain plug back in, re-fill until oil just barely oozes out, put fill plug back in.

The center wouldn't be a big deal either if it wasn't for the cross member being right below the plug, requiring its removal to get to it.

I am having my software updated tomorrow, so after an adaptation drive and some miles on the car, I'll report my findings.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also, if anyone else is interested, I have one unopened quart of the "super exotic center diff fluid" that I didn't use, and 3 unopened quarts of the green LifeGuard 8 fluid that I'd be more than happy to part with.

PM me if interested.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for a great thread.
I just finished my rear and front differentials with the help here.
I used G052145A2-spec'ed FUCHS Titan Sintopoid 75W90.

The rear was easy to drain through the drain plug.

The front was easy to suck out with Pela type oil vacuum pump.

The centre diff looks difficult for doing at home as said, I think I can undo the fill plug without removing anything, but will not be able to get a pipe in to suck it out without kinking it.

I also planned on using the same fluid, but now want the more expensive stuff to prevent the moan/chatter from appearing. I suspect you can use the cheaper stuff just for topping up but not ideal for a refill.

Quick Reply: Differential fluids