A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovered new feature, at least for me -- dimming mirror function

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Foot-wells have lighting in the City mode; which i like but prefer to have the overhead dome light off. Does anyone know if the foot-well and door panel can be activated without the overhead?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galco
Foot-wells have lighting in the City mode; which i like but prefer to have the overhead dome light off. Does anyone know if the foot-well and door panel can be activated without the overhead?
As far as I know the only option you have is to manually turn off the dome light by pressing the door circuit button twice. (for front and then the rear dome lights) Unfortunately, this will leave the door circuit deactivated until you manually turn it back on.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I keep the dome lights off at all times, and all other interior lights on all the time. Dome light takes too long to turn off after you get into the car, and is much too bright. Ambient lighting is very cool though and seems to impress my passengers
Old 06-02-2010, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default More ambiant light?

What other ambient light is there bedsides the door panels?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ambient lighting sources: footwells, door panels and overhead dome, front and back for all.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Galco;23978851
The rear view and side view mirrors have an electronic dimming function for night driving that is activated by the cabin accent lighting button.
Nice feature and further demonstrates the strides Audi has taken to make the A8 a refined drivers car.[/QUOTE]

I noticed for the first time (by accident) that if I leave the mirror button in the "on" position (as if I want to adjust the passenger side mirror), the mirror will tilt down when the car is put into reverse. Makes it easier to avoid scraping the wheel when parallel parking.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mirror Dimming vs. Ambient Lighting

I am struggling to find a balance here. I definitely want my mirrors to automatically dim. I also definitely want the ambient lighting on the interior door panels to be lit. Unfortunately (for me) I'm really persnickety about my night lighting. I love the Starship Enterprise look, but hate other headlights interfering with my night vision.

I can’t seem to find the right combination of settings using City or Highway in the MMI that allows both features to be active at the same time. I’ve tried, but in the end, it seems that if the front dome lamps are lit at all (which they always seem to be, in conjunction with the ambient lighting), the rear view mirrors do not dim. When I use the button in front of the rear view mirror, then I lose all the interior ambient lighting, but get the mirror dimming I want.

If anyone has some suggestions I would love to try them out. All the settings are fine when the car is not in motion. So, I’m OK with light operation when the doors are opened and closed, or when the ignition is started or shut off. The issue is only when the vehicle in motion.

Here is what I would like to have:
Rear view mirrors set to auto dimming. (Important – I hate headlights in the mirrors)
Interior door light strips on full brightness (This option is too cool not to have on all the time!)
Foot well lighting on, maybe even less bright than interior door lights. (It's a touch of class thing)
Front dome lamps off. (Personal preference – they annoy me, like headlights in the mirror)
Rear dome lamps dimly lit. (A little mood lighting for my passengers - Why? Because I can!)

I have been perusing the forums but haven’t found anything that addresses this directly. Perhaps it is a VAG-COM thing? I haven’t seen mention of that either.

Thoughts?
Old 12-05-2010, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
I am struggling to find a balance here. I definitely want my mirrors to automatically dim. I also definitely want the ambient lighting on the interior door panels to be lit. Unfortunately (for me) I'm really persnickety about my night lighting. I love the Starship Enterprise look, but hate other headlights interfering with my night vision.

I can’t seem to find the right combination of settings using City or Highway in the MMI that allows both features to be active at the same time. I’ve tried, but in the end, it seems that if the front dome lamps are lit at all (which they always seem to be, in conjunction with the ambient lighting), the rear view mirrors do not dim. When I use the button in front of the rear view mirror, then I lose all the interior ambient lighting, but get the mirror dimming I want.

If anyone has some suggestions I would love to try them out. All the settings are fine when the car is not in motion. So, I’m OK with light operation when the doors are opened and closed, or when the ignition is started or shut off. The issue is only when the vehicle in motion.

Here is what I would like to have:
Rear view mirrors set to auto dimming. (Important – I hate headlights in the mirrors)
Interior door light strips on full brightness (This option is too cool not to have on all the time!)
Foot well lighting on, maybe even less bright than interior door lights. (It's a touch of class thing)
Front dome lamps off. (Personal preference – they annoy me, like headlights in the mirror)
Rear dome lamps dimly lit. (A little mood lighting for my passengers - Why? Because I can!)

I have been perusing the forums but haven’t found anything that addresses this directly. Perhaps it is a VAG-COM thing? I haven’t seen mention of that either.

Thoughts?
Read your Manual for Overhead Lighting Function! There are 3 Buttons (On-Auto-Off) overhead that control the Behavior and if you Double Click any of them then it will Control Both Front & Rear Light Functions together in Sync regardless of which Function you like. Go to MMI select Highway Lights and Hit Enter (Plung the Big ****) then Turn it to Full Brightness and Hit Enter (Plung). Leave that Highway Function Selected and Do Not Move The Dial! Hit Return on the MMI Control Pad (Center Button between Next & Previous or if you like: Forward & Reverse or Fast Forward & Rewind). This allows you to Back Out Of Menu thus saving your selection. Make sure that your Rear Sunshade is Down as this sometimes Hampers Dimming Funtion, but Dimming is Automatic and has no cotrollable options. Good luck and laters,

P.S. The MMI Lighting Menu allows 1 Choice Only regardless of what Brightness you set for any of the Lighting Options. The Choice is made by Where you Left The MMI Control Dial when you Exit that Menu.

Last edited by williebone; 12-06-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

What do you mean by "plung"? Laters,
Old 12-05-2010, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
What do you mean by "plung"? Laters,
Push would be better. lol Laters,

Quick Reply: Discovered new feature, at least for me -- dimming mirror function