A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovered new feature, at least for me -- dimming mirror function

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_k
Am I the only one that drives with the doorstrip/ footwell lights on all the time? I love the look of them and believe it or not, the only one that distracts me is the driver's side footwell. so the highway mode really is useful in that it disables that one light.
Yup! I love the door strip lights. They're so smooth.

Originally Posted by Mike_k
As for the lighting combos, who did they have name these? They're seemingly arbitrary and their names have nothing to do with what actually lights up. The City, Highway, rear and Cockpit names confuse more than they assist.
And, yup, again! The only one that makes any sense is the one called... (take a wild guess) Rear.
I'm pretty sure it's a conspiracy to intentionally offend reasonable sensibilities. (It's OK. I face minor battles like this every day...)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
A few things to know before we start:
1) If the overhead dome lamps are on (even a little), the rearview mirror dimming feature is disabled.
2) If the rear sun shade is raised, the rearview mirror dimming feature is disabled.
3) There are 4 "patterns" in the Background Lighting menu. Only one can be used at a time. They cannot be combined to achieve a group affect, aside from the group affect that each pattern already contains.
4) The button in front of the sunroof switch, in the overhead console, will immediately cancel all interior lighting, and the rearview mirror dimming begins working immediately.
5) To access the Background Lighting menu in the MMI, push the Car button, then push the Systems button, and then select Background Lighting from the menu.
I have a problem with the step 5. I do not have Background Lighting in my menu. Any ideas?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm... I just went out and checked to make sure I didn't leave something out. The order is as listed Car>Systems>Background Lighting. And then Background Lighting is the second item listed after you click on Systems.

I looked but could not find any reference indicating that Canadian (or Euro, etc.) are set up any differently than US models (in regards to interior lighting). I also cannot find anything that says there is any difference in the model years 2004-2007.

So what I'm saying is that I really can't find a reason why this would be missing in your ride. It doesn't seem to be a model year or ROW kind of thing. Maybe another member might have a suggestion, or be able explain what the difference would be between like 2005 model year cars that are similar in most respects, except for US versus Canadian.

Ideas anyone?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you anyways. I found in the Hidden Menu under Menumaske > Ambientliht...something. One of those German endless words (rest is English). That is checked but it's not in Systems. Puzzled

By the way, my ride is from US.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
I have a problem with the step 5. I do not have Background Lighting in my menu. Any ideas?
Are your doors coded for it?
+0000004 = Lighting Package (Interior Lighting - PR-QQ1/QQ3)

VCDS shows module 42 (oh the irony) in my A8 as:
Address 42: Door Elect, Driver Labels: None
Part No SW: 4E1 910 802 B HW: 4E1 959 801 B
Component: T�rsteuer.FS BRM003 0100
Coding: 0028204
Shop #: WSC 05146 444 83888
VCID: 2045EAAC8A45

Also see footwell lighting listed under 46 but those PR codes are not on my build sheet.
I'd be very surprised that this was an "option", but who knows.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I will check it later (it's just very early and rainy here in Vancouver), but my footwell and door lighting works. I just do not have that menu so I can't make it work when I want. It works with dome light as it is.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's odd.

My MMI is ancient at 27.40 and it shows up first in the list under Systems.

May want to ask on the VAG-COM board or Yahoo group if you can't figure it out.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I like to run in City when in town and turn the dome lights off. That leaves the footwells and all other ambient light on and the mirror dimming functional. Just double tap the dome light off switch after starting and you are good to go.

Otherwise, I stay in Highway.

Larry
Old 07-15-2011, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by lgball
I like to run in City when in town and turn the dome lights off. That leaves the footwells and all other ambient light on and the mirror dimming functional. Just double tap the dome light off switch after starting and you are good to go.

Otherwise, I stay in Highway.

Larry
I would like too but can't get menu to setup ambient light.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Reviving an oldie here, but my dimming mirrors outside the car **** the bed and went all blurry on both cars, so I want to buy a couple aspheric ("Euro") heated glass, as the dimming is unnecessary w/tinted windows and the cost is ridiculous, with the dim feature it costs about $1000 more. Thought I'd resurrect this thread cause I didn't know the rear sunshade affected the dimming and thought others would find it interesting. I wish putting the car in reverse did the same! I leave my shades up all the time except in winter due to the relentless Tennessee sun FWIW.
I used to have the "Lighting Schemes" in my mmi but they disappeared. My software is ancient (VIN # is N0011??, forgot the last two but it's an early 2003 build) and I've tried to update it... no doubt that's why. Strange thing is the Bose surround comes & goes at random.

I called AoA about updating the MMI and they told me it must be done by the dealer (Zug problem) and they should do it for 1/2 hour labor or as a goodwill gesture. I told them the dealer had told me twice that it was impossible. Shortly thereafter AoA called me back and asked tons of questions about the visits; when, who I talked to, what they looked like, etc., and emailed a customer service survey about Audi Nashville. AoA said the dealer would call me and "resolve this issue to my satisfaction", but they haven't (no doubt they looked up my account and saw my largest purchase from Audi Nashville was a bolt). But I've taken two friends there who "have the means" to buy a couple Audis just for fun, and they virtually ignored us on two occasions. Hell, we just paid off our house and I could buy an R8 on my HELOC credit card, for that matter.
They have a poor reputation here, well deserved.
/Rant off
-Tom

Quick Reply: Discovered new feature, at least for me -- dimming mirror function