A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovered new feature, at least for me -- dimming mirror function

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Two points I forgot:
1) The rear fogs work just as well as the dimming mirrors in my experience.
2) I have a black ("Soul") interior inone car and beige in the other. The light strips in the doors are barely noticable in Soul, but almost distraction in beige interior. I feel another project coming on (replace the too-dim LEDs with some brighter, maybe even red ones...).
Old 12-18-2016, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

My driver side outboard dimmed mirror went all fuzzy. I removed/cracked off the first layer of glass, the liquid crystal wipes clean and put it back in. Conventional mirror but no problems, still defrosts etc. Actually kind of nice to have one bright and one dimmer (passenger side) and adjust them to suit.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Shark_V8
My driver side outboard dimmed mirror went all fuzzy. I removed/cracked off the first layer of glass, the liquid crystal wipes clean and put it back in. Conventional mirror but no problems, still defrosts etc. Actually kind of nice to have one bright and one dimmer (passenger side) and adjust them to suit.
Dude, if that works on mine I'm adding you to my Christmas list!
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2016, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

My early 2003 build model year '04 has a VIN below 800. Very old software too. Car works fine so why bother updating is my opinion.

Anyway, when the mirrors suddenly lock in "dim" mode; Just disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect. Reset date & time and I've been good to go the three times it happened to me.

There are some threads about this and others have resolved this issue the same way.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
My early 2003 build model year '04 has a VIN below 800. Very old software too. Car works fine so why bother updating is my opinion.

Anyway, when the mirrors suddenly lock in "dim" mode; Just disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect. Reset date & time and I've been good to go the three times it happened to me.

There are some threads about this and others have resolved this issue the same way.
I want to update because the surround comes & goes, the keys aren't always recognized, the Lighting Schemes are gone, the radio functions are strange at best, and some other equally (un)important first-world problems I can't recall right now.

My mirrors aren't locked in dimmed mode, they've delaminated (my diagnosis) and are yellowish, blurry, and double-visioned. And VERY dim. Quite useless really. The affected mirrors are the drivers' side on both cars. Maybe it's contagious.

Thanks B, and Happy Holidays, etc., my friend.
-Tom
Old 12-19-2016, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My lighting scheme is on highway and my mirrors have always done that automatically!
Old 12-19-2016, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely heplful post...

I have messed with this a lot and have become frustrated with trying to get all I want. I have all the cool interier lighting I want but the dimming of the mirrors is confounding me. I look forward to trying this series of steps. Thanks for the information!

Originally Posted by FlyTyinFool
More than you ever needed to know about your interior background lighting...

I spent some time (actually, my OCD took over and I spent way too much time) messing with the settings in MMI for the interior lights. The goal was to create some groovy interior mood lighting and maintain the rearview mirror dimming functionality. Following are my findings.

(A note here... If you have an owner's manual and MMI manual that actually contain all the pages, you will likely find this post a wee bit redundant. I purchased my manuals on E-bay, at a considerable discount mind you, but they did not exactly come fully assembled. Random pages are missing throughout both manuals. For example, I’m an expert at starting the garage door programming process. Unfortunately, once I'm at the front bumper, with remote in hand, pointing it under the driver’s headlamp, the project falls apart. The next few pages are missing. You get the idea. So, this makes my learning curve a little slower than your average bunny rabbit trying to pick up a little geometry. Great price though... Anyway, that said, let’s continue.)

A few things to know before we start:
1) If the overhead dome lamps are on (even a little), the rearview mirror dimming feature is disabled.
2) If the rear sun shade is raised, the rearview mirror dimming feature is disabled.
3) There are 4 "patterns" in the Background Lighting menu. Only one can be used at a time. They cannot be combined to achieve a group affect, aside from the group affect that each pattern already contains.
4) The button in front of the sunroof switch, in the overhead console, will immediately cancel all interior lighting, and the rearview mirror dimming begins working immediately.
5) To access the Background Lighting menu in the MMI, push the Car button, then push the Systems button, and then select Background Lighting from the menu.

There are 4 "pattern" choices to work with; Highway, City, Cockpit, and Rear. There is also an Off selection that cancels whatever Background Lighting pattern you currently have active. Each pattern lights up specific combinations of interior lights. By dialing up or down, you increase or decrease the brightness of the lamp combination included in the selected “pattern.”

This is a list of which lamps each pattern controls:
Highway – Front & rear door strip lamps
Rear – Rear foot well lamps, rear dome lamps, and rear door strip lamps
Cockpit – Front & rear door strip lamps, front dome lamps (mirror dimming will not work), and (this one is weird but…) passenger front foot well lamp (not driver’s side)
City – All interior lamps lit to desired brightness; Front & rear door strip lamps, front & rear dome lamps (mirror dimming will not work), front & rear foot well lamps (including driver)

Now (finally, geez!), here’s the skinny on how it’s done:
1) Access the Background Lighting menu in MMI
2) Select the pattern that contains the collection of lamps you want lit, and plunge the big ****.
3) Dial up or down to the desired brightness and plunge the big ****
4) Press the Return button on the center console to save your settings and go back to the main Car (suspension) menu

Thanks to all that contributed their gray matter to my dilemma. I appreciate it.

This little post is dedicated to all those folks that saved a few bucks at the expense of the Grand Plan… And, of course, were too proud to admit it. I feel your pain… oh, do I feel your pain…

Last edited by MT Born; 12-19-2016 at 05:09 PM. Reason: miss typed.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally

I am sorry but the car does not sound like it "works fine" to me. It is things like the locking in dim mode is why Audi released the MMI updates. THe MMI update just doen't update the MMI, it updates the code on a variety of modules like the audio amp, bluetooth, nav, satellite radio, and more.

When I got my 06, it had very old MMI software. The first thing I noticed upon upgrading was the removal of the "nag" screen. The second thing was that all of those little things that don't work quite right suddenly started working right like auto dimming mirrors, radio now had some bass response, and more.

When I got my wife's 08, we couldn't pair any android phone. The AMI would not play any songs on the media I was using on my 06 as well as a lot of other little things. After running the upgrades to the MMI and AMI, everything started working correctly. The Samsung Note 3 phones paired right up, the media was seen by the AMI, the rear sunscreen behaved correctly, etc etc.

Somewhere I found the release notes for each level of MMI update. The fixed bug list was most impressive.

Last edited by richard-tx; 12-21-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish I could have the "cockpit" lighting mode without the overhead lights on - until a door opens.

So far, highway mode is the only one that operates the dome lights when a door opens? Silly.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by richard-tx
I am sorry but the car does not sound like it "works fine" to me. It is things like the locking in dim mode is why Audi released the MMI updates. THe MMI update just doen't update the MMI, it updates the code on a variety of modules like the audio amp, bluetooth, nav, satellite radio, and more.

When I got my 06, it had very old MMI software. The first thing I noticed upon upgrading was the removal of the "nag" screen. The second thing was that all of those little things that don't work quite right suddenly started working right like auto dimming mirrors, radio now had some bass response, and more.

When I got my wife's 08, we couldn't pair any android phone. The AMI would not play any songs on the media I was using on my 06 as well as a lot of other little things. After running the upgrades to the MMI and AMI, everything started working correctly. The Samsung Note 3 phones paired right up, the media was seen by the AMI, the rear sunscreen behaved correctly, etc etc.

Somewhere I found the release notes for each level of MMI update. The fixed bug list was most impressive.
Three times over eleven years ain't bad. They did two software updates at no charge. One when I just bought the car in December, 2005 and one during the steering wheel airbag recall in 2009 or 10. All other functions have been working well.

Quick Reply: Discovered new feature, at least for me -- dimming mirror function