A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Oil Change

Does anyone change their own oil?

I've changed the oil on all my other cars...just not the audi. I am somewhat mechanically inclined so before I dive in, can anyone shed some light on whether or not it's a relatively straight forward procedure? Better yet..a DIY document would be nice if available.

Thanks

04 A8L
Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 PM
AQ6
AudiWorld Member

Default Did you search the forums???? If you did you would have found that...........

Forums provide your best tool for information<ul><li><a href="http://www.audipages.com/">oil change</a></li></ul>
Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: DIY Oil Change

I've done 4 changes now on my 2004 d3 A8L with 4.2L engine.

The procedure in the Bentley service manual Cd was required for me to figure out how to do it.

From memory since I'm far away from home...

Remove bottom engine cover/shield. Remove drain plug from oil pan using large allen wrench.

Using a long Philips head screwdriver, Remove air cleaner top cover, element and the entire air cleaner box (bottom "cover"). You have to disconnect a large hose and air intake plenum to do this.

Remove oil filter drain plug from beneath the car. It is a hex head plug below the filter canister noted below.

Oil filter is a Mann-Hummel paper element that goes in a canister. Canister cover can now be removed once the air cleaner box is out. You do have to fold part of the heat shield foil to get at the filter.

Use new oil drain plug crush washer (not included with oil filter for 4.2L engines). Use new oil filter drain plug washer if you bought/have one.

Replace oil filter. Use new o-ring on the canister cap which is included with the filter.

Once the drain plugs and filter are in, you get to reinstall the air cleaner box &amp; element. I'm sure you cleaned up the air filter element or maybe have a new one handy. Also, wipe out the filter box of the usual dust &amp; oil residue.

Add the 7 or 8 quarts of the engine's life blood and start engine &amp; check for leaks. If all is well, replace the engine cover from below and you are done.

It takes me 2 hours to do but I just take my time and have fun.

You are all set for another 10,000 miles according to the maintenance schedule.

Be sure to use the proper oil. I use full synthetic 5W-40 with the VW designator. I've only seen that designation on Castrol &amp; Valvoline full synthetic oil in 0W-40 and 5W-40 weights. The 2004 owner's manual says 5W-30 oil can be used but I have seen brochures published in 2005 that say despite what the owner's manual may say, the oil for the Audi's MUST have the VW designation. That designation is not on ant 5W-30 oils that I have seen.

I forget if it is 7 or 8 quarts. I bleiev it is 8 but check the owner's manual to be sure. I have the car with me here at a hotel, but i'm too lazy to go down to the parking garage and look it up.

You can bet Costco and Sam's won't do an oil change like this for $20!
Old 02-22-2007, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

that's for a D2 which sounds different than what's described above (at least the filter part)
Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Re: that's for a D2 which sounds different than what's described above (at least the filter part)

The original message by BC996TT says 2004 A8L which would be a D3. That's the vehicle I have which is the procedure I wrote about. What doesn't sound right about the filter?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:43 PM
AQ6
AudiWorld Member

Default I think A8CT was referring to my post...

Although my link is for a D2 I thought it was a good resource for someone that is mechanical. He can follow your procedure along with the illustrations in the link. I think the only difference between the two is the filter.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

excellent...thanks for the information!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Took me forever to get the bottom half of air box out. I see the oil filter canister but it's definitely not a 36mm socket size.

I'm confused. Some say access canister from bottom of car, or do I access from top of car? I have removed the skid plate already.

And why did audi put the oil filter in such an inaccessible spot? Now I wonder if they ever change the filter element. I really enjoyed the BMW oil filter location.

thanks!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default DIY Oil Change S8 D3

..... getting a bit confused because here
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...oilchange.html
says that normally is 0W-40 viscosity, audistealer told me 5W-30,
and I can't find what ETKA is saying about that...
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 616 Likes on 513 Posts
Default Audi/VW Oil List; nothing particularly new here...

See: http://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/a...e-Bulletin.pdf

The list has been around for many years in one form or another. My KISS approach has netted to Mobil 1 0W40 for last several Audis--which has been on the list for basically its history and is easily available.

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change