A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does '05 Nav disc have patches?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does '05 Nav disc have patches?

Ok, kinda holding my breath here...my car has less than 500 miles and the MMI has rebooted once and the fail-safe transmission mode has come on twice. The dealer tells me that there may be a patch along with the nav dvd. They didn't/don't have the new nav disc.

Does anyone know of patches in the '05 nav disc? Do the patches address my issues?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:57 PM

Default I can't see a nav disk having patches to the mmi

Sounds like the dealer is reaching...
Old 09-21-2004, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Nav disc effects MMI and transmission? I don't think so, dealer is reaching like Randy says
Old 09-21-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Does '05 Nav disc have patches?

The NAV disk does not have the patches but there is a an update CD that is available for later '04 and '05 VINS which updates the MMI software and several other vehicle components including the transmission software. It is confused with the NAV software as dealers are specifically told to order the new NAV disk BEFORE they update the MMI software, etc. as the old NAV disk will no longer work once the updates are applied.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up my car Saturday. Three days and 325 miles later the MMI system decided, as I feared, to do it's own thing, rebooting, switching the radio on and off, fading in and out, losing all responsiveness to the controls before, just as suddenly, coming back to life as if nothing had ever happened. How is it possible to sell a $75k car with this sort of glitch!
As for the Nav disc, I have no idea, sorry.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your MMI is acting similarly to many 04 and some 05 A8s.

Software updates are filtering through to dealers which affect 05s. If you are not satisfied by what your dealer tells you(what a surprise THAT would be!) call Audi. As far as your tranny going into limp mode, Im rather shocked! I dont believe that the MMI would control this. Tell them you want an Audi rep to look at your car and see what their response is. Let us know and best wishes.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:28 PM

Doug,

I experienced similar problems with my '04 A8L VIN 18+K. Dealer updated MMI SW which also required updated NAV DVD. They also replaced MMI control module. It has performed flawlessly for a couple of weeks now. Not a single reboot, freeze, haywire whatsoever. As for your tranny I don't know. Don't worry the car rocks.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:15 AM

The amazing thing about this MMI rebooting issue is that it seems so totally random. Mine was rebooting once or twice per trip up to about 700 miles. 500 miles later hasn't occurred again--but I live (drive) in constant fear that it will.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am developing a theory that whoever designed the software for this thing must be the same person who wrote the code for Windows 95!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I really wonder if it's software, or the system

After reading some more, the MMI screen talks to the control head on the low voltage differential signally (LVDS) image data bus.

It's a digital signal, transmitted continuously at a frequency of 210 MHZ. The voltage difference between the dominant and recessive (I take that to be the 1's and 0's) is less than 0.5V (does not specify if it is AC or DC).

It monitors if the system is good or not, if the signal is bad, it sends a code to the display control head, and a fault can be pulled.

It also states "The signal cannot be checked with measuirng instruments that are currently available".....what the heck does that mean???

I'm thinking this random reboots are nothing more than maybe a bad connection or something.....

Additionally, didn't people have MMI screens that would go up and down on their own? If so, you can use vag-com to adjust the threshold holding voltage for the unit up and down.

It has an opening voltage that sends it up, then it hits a limit switch, then it ramps down to a holding voltage, which is about 1/5 the opening voltage, then when it's turned off, you take the holding voltage off and it energizes the motor to take it down.

The threshold holding voltage can be adjusted with vag-com.

pw

Quick Reply: Does '05 Nav disc have patches?