A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Identification Control Module J589

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Identification Control Module J589

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this module on a 2004 A8L US model? I need to disassemble the Multimedia Control Head and Bentley tells me to disconnect this module. It just doesn't tell me what will happen when I do. Also, thanks to all who helped me with the lighting problem in the Multimedia Control Head. I'm getting closer.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a pretty good description of it here: http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_12715.html

2. Functionality
The driver identification control unit is integrated into the Start/Stop button of the Keyless drive authorisation system (DAS) and identifies the driver when the Start button is pressed by way of the sensor integrated in the button. The fingerprint identification compares a fingerprint with one or more stored fingerprints. Since every person's fingerprint has characteristic features, a software program analyses whether the fingerprints match. For two fingerprints to be compared at all, at least 80% of the image areas under comparison must match. A very small number of people are unable to register because the fingerprint sensor is unable to produce usable images of their finger. Possible causes of this include very dry, cracked hands, and skin infections. Those people cannot use the fingerprint identification system.
Following successful identification of a user with terminal S on, the control unit issues a user ID via K-CAN on the basis of which the individual control units activate their user-specific settings and store changes in the course of a terminal 15 cycle. Starting of the vehicle is independent of the identification of the user. It is dependent on the presence of an authorised vehicle key in the vehicle interior.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I'm always amazed at the complexity built into this platform. Since my 04 A8L does not have a start/stop button, I interpret this as a module that stores a particular driver data related to the key being used. Hopefully it is non-volatile

Pfishwacker
Old 11-23-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah they are complex alright.
Every time someone has a problem here I research it in case it ever happens on my A8.

I would think it is non-volatile.
Otherwise you'd have to have your key(s) re-programmed each time the battery was changed and I haven't heard of that happening.