A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD read error in Nav

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD read error in Nav

I hooked up Vag-Com and have a DVD reader error in the Nav unit and It will not read the nav disk. I dont want to have to change out the DVD reader if dont have to. I am thinking the lens can be dirty. If thats the case do I get a dvd disk cleaner or do I have to take it apart? Any other suggestions?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been getting intermittent "Please check NAV DVD" on the MMI with a brand new genuuine NAVTEQ DVD.

Not sure if it's moisture, per the owner manual, or a dirty lens.

Planning to get a "cleaning" disc if it keeps happening but not sure if that is the best method.

Interested in other folks thoughts too.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thats what happened to me at first. It happened for about a month. Then it just stopped working. So now I Just get the check Nav dvd message.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's set-up to Read Nav Disc and will not work with Cleaners since you can Control Tracks and it will be UnReadable (tried that). You'll have to pull it and get it Prefessionally Cleaned or do it yourself if you know what you are doing. You'll need a Lens Cleaning Cloth and Solution along with a Can of Compressed Air, but would be wise to have a Professional do it at an Electronic Repair Shop. Just Pull it and Drop it off, you will need an Optical Loop Ring or your MMI System will Shut Down until Reconnected. See if your Audi SA will loan it to you. They have plenty of Spares. Good luck and laters,

P.S. I plan on doing sometime this year as I get this message every so often, but it corrects itself after a while. I don't use very much so it isn't on the High Priority List of things to do yet.

Last edited by williebone; 03-07-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply willie. I will just drop it off somewhere. I have to find a place that will do it. I have a jumper from when I installed my XM unit so I should be good with that.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Willie. I figured as much on the cleaning DVD - is why I didn't rush out and buy one.

It looks easy peasy to remove according to Bentley. Will get a set of removal tools and clean it myself.

I'll try to get to it this weekend and post an update.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Thanks Willie. I figured as much on the cleaning DVD - is why I didn't rush out and buy one.

It looks easy peasy to remove according to Bentley. Will get a set of removal tools and clean it myself.

I'll try to get to it this weekend and post an update.
Get OEM Key thru Audi. If you use Generic Keys you will Stip it and it will be Locked forever (did that with CD Player)! Laters,
Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Got the keys today and pulled the Nav unit. It was pretty easy to take the cover off the top of the unit with a flat blade driver.

After that I got scared, very scared. I do hardware work on multi-million dollar IBM systems while they are running. This scared the sh%t out of me....

The reader is well entrenched in a surrounding metal case that is bolted to the carrier. Lots of springs and doodads attach it to the case.

Other DVD/CD drives I've seen have a top cover that unbolts or snaps off and you have easy access to the laser. Not so on this puppy.

It looks like the entire GPS computer is on the board under the drive which could explain the price to replace these. Needless to say it's back in it's nook and thankfully working after a quick test drive.

Time to mix a drink and be thankful I didn't screw the pooch on this one....
Old 03-10-2011, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

LOL. See sometimes it's better to just let the Pros do the work, so choose your Battles Wisely! It would've been a good Idea to use the Compressed Air while it was open as this could help your performance. Glad to see you breathing a sigh of relief after that. Take care,
Old 03-10-2011, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Got the keys today and pulled the Nav unit. It was pretty easy to take the cover off the top of the unit with a flat blade driver.

After that I got scared, very scared. I do hardware work on multi-million dollar IBM systems while they are running. This scared the sh%t out of me....

The reader is well entrenched in a surrounding metal case that is bolted to the carrier. Lots of springs and doodads attach it to the case.

Other DVD/CD drives I've seen have a top cover that unbolts or snaps off and you have easy access to the laser. Not so on this puppy.

It looks like the entire GPS computer is on the board under the drive which could explain the price to replace these. Needless to say it's back in it's nook and thankfully working after a quick test drive.

Time to mix a drink and be thankful I didn't screw the pooch on this one....
No pics or more step by step procedures?

What did you use to clean it? I am thinking about taking it in my electronics lab tomorrow(Friday) to clean it out with my professor helping me.

Last edited by mikesd1980; 03-10-2011 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: DVD read error in Nav