A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamic Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Youtube: Audi A8L speed limiter removed Unitronic. Who even cares about how many mm's the suspension is lowered at those speeds? What a rush....
Old 06-15-2013, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Youtube: Audi A8L speed limiter removed Unitronic. Who even cares about how many mm's the suspension is lowered at those speeds? What a rush....
Yeah yeah, we remember it, ya crazy bastid!

I like the Autobahn videos, especially the (V10) S8s with their burbling sounds, going 150+.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts
Default +1

Who even cares about how many mm's the suspension is lowered at those speeds? What a rush....
Somehow, people like A8L to look like a race car - try to lower the car by all means then when it's really lowered by being broken - worry about how to fix it cheaply. Amazing.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-05-2013, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digging up an older thread...any input?

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Somehow, people like A8L to look like a race car - try to lower the car by all means then when it's really lowered by being broken - worry about how to fix it cheaply. Amazing.

Cheers,

Louis
I have this same concern. Seems easy enough to throw the VCDS on and lower it 20mm but that seems to lead to other issues (alignment, contol arm/bushing wear, premature tire wear, air suspension components going out)
I was really hoping to be able to just lower the auto speed setting when I got my VCDS

Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? I would LOVEto have my car lower at 60mph which seems way more useful in the U.S. than 75/80mph.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by onemeansaleen
Has anyone figured out how to do this yet? I would LOVEto have my car lower at 60mph which seems way more useful in the U.S. than 75/80mph.
I'm sure they design that for a reason, NOT to use the pump too often since 60mph was 5 miles over the speed limit at that time of 55mph. I do think it's a good thing because I don't really see my hood moves up/down at all due to turbulence under the car at 60mph. I think the idea is the same as spoilers in the back of the car, they don't work until 70-100 mph and people with cars with giant wings on their cars driving stop and go 0-10mph on the freeways.

As a hardware/software engineer, I don't believe VCDS can lower the car for the whole control system, there is no offset amount for the whole system without changing the firmware which I'm sure programmed in a flash or ROM already. What people did with VCDS is to change the initial height of the car statically and not dynamically which involves sensors, feed back, heights, speed, settings, etc. So the way I see it, when people lowered their cars, the dynamic system will still move it back to original dynamic program, then come back and sets the car height to the VCDS low setting. All these are just for looks but the pump and the sensors work extra to lower and raise the car back to the original programming built into the car.
People who lowered their cars using VCDS may have to change their pumps, sensors and shocks more often than the normal cars.
This is just my simple logic opinion as a hardware programmer. I don't think Audi would let a $350 VCDS to sabotage the safety of the whole dynamic suspension system. Just like Apple products, it's practically impossible to brick an iphone, ipod or ipad.

Cheers,

Louis

PS: It's sad because Audi A8 resale values are so low that these people can buy them for nothing. Will a person, who actually paid $80k-100k for the car, lower, de-badge, or do funky things to his car? I think not, this person will be so busy making millions, he may not have time for this kind of non-productive stuff.

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 12-05-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
PS: It's sad because Audi A8 resale values are so low that these people can buy them for nothing. Will a person, who actually paid $80k-100k for the car, lower, de-badge, or do funky things to his car? I think not, this person will be so busy making millions, he may not have time for this kind of non-productive stuff.
It is depressing this car that was $60K certified pre-owned less than 10 years ago is hardly worth more than the tires it sits on + a few dealer service visits. Glad I have other "go fast" toys to keep this thing up and running good.

I think it's a great looking car with the factory 19" turbines and doesn't need tinkered with.

Probably gonna stay away from lowering it though. I was being hopeful there would be some MPG improvements having it lower around 60mph on the freeway.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

The 55 mph speed limit went away in 1985. Way before WABCO ECAS was released.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The 55 mph speed limit went away in 1985. Way before WABCO ECAS was released.
Thanks Mr. I didn't even remember when 65/70 mph limit came in. Time does fly. I thought it wasn't that long ago.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-05-2013, 11:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by onemeansaleen
I have this same concern. Seems easy enough to throw the VCDS on and lower it 20mm but that seems to lead to other issues (alignment, contol arm/bushing wear, premature tire wear, air suspension components going out)
I was really hoping to be able to just lower the auto speed setting when I got my VCDS

A8 comes from factory with option to be software lowered for up to 25 mm. No issues at all. It can be lowered using VAS or VCDS.

Why don't you drive it in Dynamic on a highway all the times? Why would you want it to go up and down with speed?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

It lowers at 75mph because the "recommended" speed limit on the autobahn is 130 km/h (80 mph). So it does what it is supposed to in Germany, higher around town, and lower on the freeway.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Air Suspension