A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Disabled

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESP Disabled

While driving the other days ESP turned off with warning on instrument cluster. I checked codes and found:

01317 - Control Module in Instrument Cluster (J285)
013 - Check DTC Memory - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10111101
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 179
Mileage: 144492 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.01.28
Time: 11:47:00

Freeze Frame:
Temperature: 28.0°C
Voltage: 9.22 V
Bin. Bits: 00000000

Any ideas what this may be?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 612 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Keep scanning...

Especially, scan the ABS module, but more generally a variety of modules. You may find codes in the instrument module, ABS, engine and various other places. Several suspects, but another module may report definitively, e.g. ABS may say the ABS controller is defective, or another one a bad angle sensor, etc. From experience, the ESP warning lights could leave codes in a half dozen various modules. If you do the full autoscan, you should see most all the important ones.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-28-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did see other errors in the ABS module. It looked like a glitch went through several modules. I reset everything and it seems to be OK (for now). What things can cause these errors if they go away and stay away?
Old 01-28-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

+1 on scanning. Just don't start changing anything right away. If it comes back when you start engine again than it is most likely some harness contact. Mine was doing the same, code was steering angle sensor, but it actually was contact to the same. Fixed it with DeoxIT. Codes may help to locate bad contact.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Variety of things.

In one case I had a bad angle sensor. That kicked on the adaptive lighting warning light, and ESP light. New sensor, problem gone. Another time I got the ESP light too. That one was some kind of software update per a TSB--been long enough I have forgotten. Both fixed under warranty.

It can of course be things like a wheel sensor not reading correctly. There is a history though of ABS modules (the brain, not the hydraulic unit) giving way as Audis get older. Lost mine on my 2000 4.2 a few years ago; common enough that there is a rebuilder who repairs the problem on a quick turn around basis for much less than a new OE replacement part.

And, I suggest NOT running the ABS system checks buried in VAG COM. Not convinced that one is 100% safe. Scanning and clearing codes is fine of course. And if it happens to say "ABS module defective" or words to that effect, it's done and won't clear.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Steering wheel sensor is as simple as possible. I am almost sure that nothing can be wrong with it. Of course installing new one will fix the problem, but I think it is actually fixed by unplugging and plugging again. It is expensive enough that trying to DeoxIT seems reasonable first step. If it fix it it will be for a longer time than new. It will not rust again any time soon.

My ABS module has a faulty code but everything works well. I am tempted to open and try to repair it. I've red somewhere about it. It is actually loose contact inside. Some precise soldering is the fix. I don't think that guys from eBay are that much smarter.

Do you mean ABS system checks that require security code?
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ABS, etc

Originally Posted by mishar
Steering wheel sensor is as simple as possible. I am almost sure that nothing can be wrong with it. Of course installing new one will fix the problem, but I think it is actually fixed by unplugging and plugging again. It is expensive enough that trying to DeoxIT seems reasonable first step. If it fix it it will be for a longer time than new. It will not rust again any time soon.

My ABS module has a faulty code but everything works well. I am tempted to open and try to repair it. I've red somewhere about it. It is actually loose contact inside. Some precise soldering is the fix. I don't think that guys from eBay are that much smarter.

Do you mean ABS system checks that require security code?
On the ABS checks w/ VAG COM, I mean from inside the ABS module (03), there is a button called test or something to that effect over on the right side (the side where they warn you that it may not be safe to do it; same side that coding and adaptation are, while code reading clearing is on the "safe side." [Sorry can't see it w/out connecting to the car just now]. Anyway, AFAIK that does not require a security code (like some of the adaptation channels of many modules do). Wouldn't go there in that I don't think it is really documented (or at least I haven't come across it), though if your module already says it is defective, I guess you have more latitude. IIRC, Bentley just kind of describes using the dealer test equipment akin to VAG COM to get it set up to test some specific element of ABS rather than more of a click through full test routine.

I have ventured into these with things like the engine test arena and the tranny; the tranny test has been well plowed over the years w/ the C5 and D2 A8 as far sequencing through all the valves and such. At least some of the motor one has, like for the mounts, and I have also used it w/ the C5. HVAC one cycles through all the vent motors as I recall, though I can see codes for them from my C5 experience anyway if something hangs up w/out really needing that test. Another one cycles through all the lights, and the instrument one tests all the elements--displays, gauges, etc., granularly. Most of those have been documented in posts somewhere or other (here or C5 board for me in years gone by), and/or Bentley refers to the same sort of click through test w/ the factory/dealer equipment (like w/ the tranny test sequence, at least back a generation). Maybe a few ask for an access code w/in some part of the test, but a lot seem pretty open.

On the angle sensor, I don't mean it as anything definitive by any stretch; just one of a bunch of possible examples. Basic ABS module would be the more early suspect given its known history in other 4.2 applications, plus I have seen those cross over codes before from ESP type warnings. Maybe I was remember your own post sometime recently poking at the module price too, having been through it on the C5. And yes, whoever it was who did mine for the C5 on the mail in basis, no muss and all worked great. At the time, I just needed it to work w/ out spending a fortune, so was happy to send it in on a few day turnaround, especially since the car (at least the C5) can live without it just fine for the intervening few days of everyday use.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-28-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you for clarification. Yes, now I remember. Test function doesn’t require security code. I think coding and modification do and there is none (?).

I’ve used test function for my audio system. Proved very useful detecting that subwoofer is missing. Previous owner took it out and installed one of those crazy boxes, than dealer removed that box. Just fader/balance test didn’t show anything because rear speakers are not so bad at low frequencies, but test is doing one at the time. Fixed problem with Cadillac subwoofer. Same Bose thing, just plenty available used in US.

I might try that test. Probably it will show what is wrong with ABS module. As I remember it should be something with memory, if there is any. It is weird that everything is working fine, including EPS functions. I’ve tested it when we got some snow recently.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Steering wheel sensor is as simple as possible. I am almost sure that nothing can be wrong with it. Of course installing new one will fix the problem, but I think it is actually fixed by unplugging and plugging again.

There is a safety campaign on certain class 8 truck tractors for a defective steering angle sensor that the tab which engages in the steering column shaft snaps off (nylon part) and has been changed to a metal material for durability. Not sure what the Audi part is made of but things happen.

Also, as discussed in earlier threads, the brake light switch can disable ESP. However, your fault codes don't point there.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi's sensor is made of plastic. It is coupled to the steering wheel by two well sized tabs. It is some type of induction sensor. Simple electronics shouldn't ever be a problem. No contact. Since there is no resistance at all when rotating I think that kind of damage is virtually impossible. Clockspring ribbons are under minimal stress and should last forever. On the other hand on my 2005 I found and fixed a number of bad contacts. 2004's are probably same if not worse that way. I believe that harness materials are not resistant to corrosion. It seems they fixed that problem on the later models. Actually I hope so. May be they are just not old enough.

Quick Reply: ESP Disabled