A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Fault Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ESP Fault Solved!

Finally I took my A8 to a shop to be looked at. The error I was getting was a random ESP Fault that would turn off my cruise control, traction control and along with an annoying beep. So i took it to a European car shop and had it looked at, and only problem seemed to be the brake light switch. Still have the original battery in the car, which was reading low voltage so had that replaced as well. Just in case anyone else comes across this problem here's your fix
The brake light switch was only $22, and the battery was an unfortunate $190 a nice interstate battery though . $39 installed and coded.
Cheers!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had our brake light switch replaced as well. It was a $14 part with $100 of labor. Sheesh. It was responsible for an ABS warning light and a parking brake warning light - and the annoying beeping. The dealer very specifically told us that when that brake light switch goes, it confuses alot of other modules, like the ones that run the ESP, ABS and such.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had a similar problem, multiple ESP faults... turned out to be a brake light switch.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah isn't it crazy! I was like oh okay, only $20 no problem! Then the total was like $126 after labor and diagnostic.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
yeah isn't it crazy! I was like oh okay, only $20 no problem! Then the total was like $126 after labor and diagnostic.
You still got off light. Dealer repair invoices on A8's are rarely under $500.00 But most give you a "free" car wash with the sandpaper brush wash-o-matic.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I still don't consider this getting off light. The dealer is a joke and I never go to them because of their outrageous prices. Hell they even charge you to top your liquids. I can top my own washer fluid lol! I demanded they remove this ridiculous charge and I also told them I wouldn't pay a penny over $200 for an oil change. I got my way and that was the last time I went to the stealer.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default DIY fix?

I'm having the same ESP/parking brake/beeping problem and after reading this I'll bet it's the brake light switch. From the Bentley manual, looks like it might not be that hard of a do it yourself fix -- anyone try it? If so, do you know the part number of the switch?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default DIY fix?

I'm having the same ESP/parking brake/beeping problem and after reading this I'll bet it's the brake light switch. From the Bentley manual, looks like it might not be that hard of a do it yourself fix -- anyone try it? If so, do you know the part number of the switch?
Old 10-17-2015, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake light switch.

Originally Posted by Brozee
Finally I took my A8 to a shop to be looked at. The error I was getting was a random ESP Fault that would turn off my cruise control, traction control and along with an annoying beep. So i took it to a European car shop and had it looked at, and only problem seemed to be the brake light switch. Still have the original battery in the car, which was reading low voltage so had that replaced as well. Just in case anyone else comes across this problem here's your fix
The brake light switch was only $22, and the battery was an unfortunate $190 a nice interstate battery though . $39 installed and coded.
Cheers!
Not sure I understand you when you say it was the brake light switch. I have the same problem as you. How did they know the problem? Through the vag-com?
Old 10-17-2015, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 117 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Samo7
Not sure I understand you when you say it was the brake light switch. I have the same problem as you. How did they know the problem? Through the vag-com?
Yes, VAG scan. Also, the experience of several posters here who have mentioned the repair to this very common problem.

Quick Reply: ESP Fault Solved!