A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP Fault Solved!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
Who did you use to rebuild yours? I am ready to try again.
I sent mine to the people who rebuilt the ABS controller in the wife’s BMW. That came back better than new. They seemed more versed in fixing the BMW controllers.
I had temperature related three lights and the beep before. But after rebuild the lights come up before the engine starts.
As a hope and prayer replaced the brake light switch. No help, but cars seems to run better.
Ive used Cheap ABS to rebuild abs modules on my a6 and a8, came back great. No issues since.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by the green amigo
Ive used Cheap ABS to rebuild abs modules on my a6 and a8, came back great. No issues since.
The A8 has the Bosch 5.7 Module. Rebuild is almost twice the price of the 5.3 Module. Also, the separating the pump from the controller does not appear to be possible in car. They have a warning on order form about damaging the solenoids when pulling the 5.7 Module off the pump. Also bolts are on the bottom and not the back.
I shipped mine together to Module Masters, they charged to separate and put back together. Should come apart easy this time. Just did not fix the problem. Will see if a company who specializes in Bosch modules can fix it.
The lights and beep do not bother me. But wife and kids will not drive or ride in it. Worried they will die in an accident related to brake failure.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It appears CheapABS closed in August last year. Does anyone know another company who specializes in repairing Bosch ABS modules?
Old 05-25-2022, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same problem to a t

Originally Posted by nurchi
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but I recently had the ESP fault on my 2007 A6 4.2

It was very intermittent at first, engine would turn, but not start. Turning on ignition (before trying to start or after) would show ESP Fault, Brake Fault (please drive to the nearest something carefully), Parking Brake Fault, Headlight Range Control Fault, pretty much everything fault... You leave the car for a few minutes and then it would start, until recently when it didn't.
An OBDeleven scan revealed that most (or all) units reported faulty had the same error, something about failing to communicate to ECU.
Audi dealership told me it was a battery and offered to replace it. The mechanic's note said something in the lines of "I charged the battery and the car started fine."

About 3-4 days later the problem appeared again. Few minutes later the car started. Then 2 days later same thing and the car didn't start (I had to leave it at Costco parking lot). The next morning I jump-started it and drove to the dealership, told them to tow it at their expense. They said they'll be able to do something, then I said the car was already there with the same problem

Turned out to be an ECU relay stuck (open I think). This was also the reason the battery was draining. Boosting the car (I guess) gave a bit more power to the relay so it kind of worked.
$42CAD and no charge for 3-hour diagnostic (because they charged me a week ago and didn't solve the problem).

Here are the videos of the fault happening with my frustrated voice and (at the time anger) at the dealership (but not having to pay $465CAD just for diagnostics was a bonus for me :P)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qY9hos6nk0f5lVzn2
where was the relay located???
Old 05-30-2022, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Solved mine, was ABS controller.

I was getting the ABS pressure sensor message. Looked and the A8 pressure sensor is way more than the A6 or A4 sensor.
Decided to remove and clean up. Grabbed cable in transducer and it slid right off. Guess when I reinstalled the boot did not latch, cleaned up, smeared with dielectric grease, and car has been trouble free for cover a year!
I replaced the brake light switch. Good insurance. But at least on a 2005 is a major PITA. Could barely get hand in it. First was a dud. But purchased another and all is good. It is worth a 100.00 to replace.